Eliminate Regions In OHSAA Football Playoffs

radiodavel
JV Team

Post by radiodavel »

https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2019 ... l-playoffs

by Samuel Houseworth...after tomorrow night we will se who might agree with a change in the future

portsmouth_98
All State

Re: Eliminate Regions In OHSAA Football Playoffs

Post by portsmouth_98 »

That could make for some crazy travel.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:28 pm That could make for some crazy travel.
Did you read it all? Looks like they took those factors into key consideration

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Well, I actually didn't read it before opening my mouth, but I have now and he makes a compelling argument. Could actually be in Ohsaa benefit if it consistently gets teams playing closer to home.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

The maps don’t differ that much. Ridgewood in 19 makes no sense other than the fact that perhaps some team is going to have to eat it and be placed outside their general area because the teams have to be even somewhat in each region. His arguments start out strong but weaken as he continues with a lot of vague scenarios. You would have to have neutral for all sites if Kirkland came in at 1 and oak hill came in at 32. Other factors he’s not considered is conference games. A team could miss out on being 32 because they’ve been stuck playing their conference, where points start to bounce back and forth.

If he’s concerned about a 10-0 team not making it, then suggest they schedule up. Gibsonburg burg played three teams most likely non conference that were d7 teams, a division below them, in contrast, burg scheduled four teams that were two divisions ahead of them. They have a chance to be number 1 in their region at 7-3 should ironton slip.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

IMO it all started when they went to 8 teams per region then added 3 divisions. They should have kept it at 4 per region and no more than 4 divisions max but $$$ talked and too many 9-1 and 10-0 teams were left out so they've almost quadrupled the number of playoff participants that are invited to week #11 yearly so it's a bed the OHSAA made themselves and they knew regional configurations were going to change alot yearly with smaller 5, 6 & 7 divisions involved because of like size schools shrinking or expanding , regardless of location because 224 teams are involved now so there's no way to do it other than expanding the geographical map for each division.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Gibsonburg is unfortunate in the fact the rest of their conference was just flat out bad this year. Looking back on MaxPreps though these guys have won a lot of games since 2014 and that's plenty of time to decide we need to start scheduling better opponents out of conference. They have 4 open dates to fill and getting DVII schools to fill those voids when you are in a tough region is on the AD. I like the regions and to me it would take away a little luster for these teams and the playoffs overall. Fans enjoy going to a regional championship game, players, programs, it's just a benefit to everyone. Sorry for Gibsonburg's luck but like I said when you know you're in a tough region it's on the AD to get some quality opponents to garner points.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I like it as is.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Gibsonburg needs to schedule better. Who'd want to eliminate Regional Championships? That's something to be proud of and shoot for.

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
E High
All State

Post by E High »

When you have 7 divisions, it’s all watered down and they’re playing an NFL schedule (15 games). Start 2 weeks earlier and be done by late November. They’re HS kids. Really?

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I'm not actually sure what is going on here. If you look at the last couple of years they have beefed their schedule up quite a bit. They added Mohawk and Calvert who usually make the playoffs but have had bad years. The confusing thing is they appear to have either joined a new conference or went independent. Their Wikipedia page says they are members of the TAAC but the leagues webpage says they left after 2018. I looked at the league affiliations for some of the schools schedules and none of their leagues listed Gibsonburg as a member.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Proud_Pirate63
All Conference
Re: Region Change Could End Gibsonburg's Dream Season, Time To Look At Ranking Changes
Edit Report Quote
Post Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:24 am

formerfcfan wrote: ↑

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: ↑

I looked at their records on Joe Eitel back to 2000.
2018 9-1 #2 in region 22
2017 9-1 #5
2016 8-2 #7
2015 10-0 #4

Each of those years in region 22, they lost first round of playoffs

2014-2002 Did not qualify for playoffs with some years going 0-10

2000 & 2001—qualified for playoffs—lost in first & second round respectively.

2019 opponents are combined 29-59 with three of the team being 0-9. Only two teams were above .500 at 6-3 and 5-4.

Sounds like that after a long stretch of lean years, they softened their schedule. Now after 5 years in a row with at least 8 wins, it is time to schedule a couple harder opponents again especially if they are going to be in a tougher region.

I don’t agree with the conclusion here. They have two teams on their schedule (Mohawk and Calvert) who both are two of the stronger D7 programs statewide of recent memory, and both teams had mediocre seasons. Didn’t yield the points anticipated. One of the 0-9 teams on their record is a very nearby school they play for gate purposes. One of the other 0-9’s went 6-4 last year and was a replacement game for Sandusky SMCC who bailed on 11-man incredibly late over this summer. The third 0-9 is a team they’re stuck playing as a part of their league. Sure they should consider scheduling harder opponents but at the same time I don’t agree with the idea they decided to soften it up.

While Calvert and Mohawk may be having "down years", they are both D7. Calvert is the better of the two making playoffs 8 of last 10 years while Mohawk only 3 of last 10 years. Woodmore is the nearby school for gate purposes but Gibsonburg only played them 3 times in the last 10 years. In regards to Danbury, you can't control your league opponents quality. Lastly with Antwerp, a late addition to fill an open date is understandable especially given they were 6-4 in 2018. But they were 1-9 and 2-8 the previous two seasons. Makes me wonder, does leaving the date open actually help you more by lowering your Divisor or do you fill it with a D7 team that had a three year record of 9-21. I guess there are pros/cons to both. Maybe it is hard for them to schedule quality teams as they are 4 hours north of me. I'm not completely familiar with the Sandusky area. So maybe they didn't intentionally "soften up" their schedule, but at least we agree they need to look for better non-conference opponents. Who knows, they may go back to Region 22 next year. Wheelersburg was in Region 20 last season only to be placed back in Region 19 again this season.

GOBLUE2005
Riding the Bench

Post by GOBLUE2005 »

I think this is a GREAT idea. this is the 3rd time in 4 seasons that Washington Court House was left out of the playoffs in region 16 and would have made it in region 13 and 14. Just do away with the regions and take the top 32 teams.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

If they seed the way are talking about doing now it would be a huge help to Portsmouth. We always are either shoved into a region we are on the corner of or draw a team that is in the opposite corner of us. I've seen lots of schools pull someone from their conference or the next county over, we have never had a close first round road trip. Oddly enough the last two home games we had we got Waverly and Jackson which are about 45 minutes away.
1st round road games:
1988 @ Harrison - 2:18 drive
1999 @ Germantown Valley View - 2:21 drive
2001 @ New Lexington - 2:06 drive
2004 @ New Albany - 1:58 drive
2008 @ Licking Heights - 1:57 drive
2018 @ Madison - 2:26 drive
2019 @ Ridgewood - 2:59 drive
average - 2:18 drive and trending longer

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

GOBLUE2005 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:38 am I think this is a GREAT idea. this is the 3rd time in 4 seasons that Washington Court House was left out of the playoffs in region 16 and would have made it in region 13 and 14. Just do away with the regions and take the top 32 teams.
Shouldn't have lost to a 3-7 Wilmington team, I mean WCH is a good example when discussing the top 32 teams. They beat 1 team with a winning record at 6-4, I get it your team didn't make the playoffs so it's easy to say let's do away with it as then we'll get in. Circleville has been down for so long you guys automatically are hurt with what they'll bring to the table. Ponitz Tech last 7 years, win total---2--1--3--6--4--2--3, so not sure what they were looking to gain there.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Someone told me the other day there going to go to 12 teams instead of 8. Any truth to that? Or I was dreaming it.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:47 pm Someone told me the other day there going to go to 12 teams instead of 8. Any truth to that? Or I was dreaming it.
Administrators at schools all across the state were given a survey recently on their thoughts about a possible expansion to 12 teams.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:47 pm Someone told me the other day there going to go to 12 teams instead of 8. Any truth to that? Or I was dreaming it.
The OHSAA is looking into doing it. They sent an email to coaches looking for feedback.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:42 am
GOBLUE2005 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:38 am I think this is a GREAT idea. this is the 3rd time in 4 seasons that Washington Court House was left out of the playoffs in region 16 and would have made it in region 13 and 14. Just do away with the regions and take the top 32 teams.
Shouldn't have lost to a 3-7 Wilmington team, I mean WCH is a good example when discussing the top 32 teams. They beat 1 team with a winning record at 6-4, I get it your team didn't make the playoffs so it's easy to say let's do away with it as then we'll get in. Circleville has been down for so long you guys automatically are hurt with what they'll bring to the table. Ponitz Tech last 7 years, win total---2--1--3--6--4--2--3, so not sure what they were looking to gain there.
Yup. Don’t play Ponitz Tech if you believe you should be contending for playoffs. 100% agreed. No disrespect to the Court House program but there is no reason they should be scheduling a Dayton city school that wouldn’t even go .500 in the SOC 1.

GOBLUE2005
Riding the Bench

Post by GOBLUE2005 »

greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:42 am
Not The kids fault that teams are down that are on the schedule. They play who they are told to play. Also just saying washington makes it in in other regions. Would you be saying they didnt deserve it if we were in region 13 of div 4 instead of 16. All I'm saying is the top 32 teams in the DIVISION should be in. Regional breakdowns work for other sports because everyone gets in.

Return to “Football”