Football Playoff Format Changes Being Considered By OHSAA

Post by radiodavel »

Football Playoff Format Changes Being Considered By OHSAA
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2019 ... d-by-ohsaa

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Football Playoff Format Changes Being Considered By OHSAA

Post by Ironman92 »

radiodavel wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:27 pm Football Playoff Format Changes Being Considered By OHSAA
FANOSPORTS not gonna like this. I don’t either. Go another week later and too many 4-6 and 5-5 teams will make it

NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

I do not like 12 teams getting in at all

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

It looks like the plan is to "shorten the preseason" and end on the same timeline as currently so does. So basically games will start a week earlier.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Not good......

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:47 pm
radiodavel wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:27 pm Football Playoff Format Changes Being Considered By OHSAA
FANOSPORTS not gonna like this. I don’t either. Go another week later and too many 4-6 and 5-5 teams will make it
My, my, my I don't know what to say !!!!! How much more can we water it down ? I guess just do like the other sports and let everyone in and expand it 3 more weeks !!!!! Then every Johnny has a chance to play another game. Wow !!!!! :roll: (Politics and $$$ and just hide behind the guise of directors and administrators, what a crock !!!!!)

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I love the idea of top 4 getting a bye but 12 teams might be to much you are going to have a lot of bad teams make the playoffs

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Yeah to me it starts getting watered down after the 8. Sometimes even the 8-1 seed is a bad matchup some upsets but that will happens in any sport really

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Pantherfan wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:51 pm It looks like the plan is to "shorten the preseason" and end on the same timeline as currently so does. So basically games will start a week earlier.
When it’s 90 degrees

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:56 pm
My, my, my I don't know what to say !!!!! How much more can we water it down ? I guess just do like the other sports and let everyone in and expand it 3 more weeks !!!!! Then every Johnny has a chance to play another game. Wow !!!!! :roll: (Politics and $$$ and just hide behind the guise of directors and administrators, what a crock !!!!!)
Well I saw this year that a D1 golfer shot a 96 and advanced to districts lol

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

The move to 8 has proven to be right as within the first five years most divisions saw a low seed win or take the runner up, not sure how 12 would play out. I guess you could take more chances with your schedule and play up.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Joke!
OHSAA will approve it.
More cash for them.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

petesweaty wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:55 pm Joke!
OHSAA will approve it.
More cash for them.
My nod goes to this as the best response and probably truth

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

petesweaty wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:55 pm Joke!
OHSAA will approve it.
More cash for them.
This is probably spot on honestly. Basically anything most level headed fans feel is ridiculous those with the power in OHSAA are sitting there thinking it's the greatest idea ever. They need to worry about how to improve attendance in the championship games and make more money in the bigger games instead of watering down the system to make a little extra in the lower portions of playoffs.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Go to a 9 game season. Let 16 teams in. Start 2 weeks earlier. They’re all practicing at the end of May now. Ready by mid August. They’re doing 2 a days and scrimmages then anyways in the heat. Why not start the season early and stop the BS of playing into the 2nd week of December.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Let every team in it could be fun. Teams are not the same week 10 then week 1. Injuries early in the year can crush a team.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Don’t care for it at all. 8 teams is enough. If you’re below the top 8 in your region, then it’s probably for a reason! Either do to losing or not having a tough schedule. Takes away from making the playoffs special IMO

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:56 pm
Injust don’t understand this stance. Maybe it is about money, but there is a real value to the athletes and communities that transcends the dollars.

First, I agree that it obviously lowers the bar a bit to qualify. In some regions, there will be teams that you wouldn’t think of as being playoff caliber getting in with poor records just by the attrition of their region. But I say, so what?

More divisions and more qualifiers has made more late season games meaningful for more kids. It is a great experience. In some cases, the realistic opportunity to play for something small (a playoff birth), but bigger than the normal rewards (a winning season, a conference, a single game rivalry) has changed the whole program’s identity. Lots of teams who 20 years ago never would have thought of making playoffs have built on successes of making it, to winning a game, and some have pushed to the verge of state championships. The small taste of success can drive people to bigger successes and considering these are high school kids, I just can’t see how that is a bad thing.

As for lopsided forst round games, hell there are plenty of lopsided championship games. I would counter that allowing more teams in isn’t really a participation trophy if you then get hammered in the first round. It adds another lesson - sometimes you just are what you are. It was fun while it lasted, but in life, there are times that others are just going to flat out be better than you.

I’m not sure where you are from, but have you had the benefit of living through a small community that has benefitted from expanded playoffs to see just what a difference it makes in atmosphere, confidence, etc.?

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:28 pm
Pantherfan wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:51 pm It looks like the plan is to "shorten the preseason" and end on the same timeline as currently so does. So basically games will start a week earlier.
When it’s 90 degrees

Kentucky starts a week earlier than we do right now and I have never heard of anybody complaining about it. That isn't what I have a problem with. I just worry that 12 teams is too many and the games won't be nearly as competitive in the first week of the playoffs (or the week after the bye).

West Rowan Falcons
Freshman Team

Post by West Rowan Falcons »

They might shorten the season to 9 games?
Go from 7 divisions to 5?
If there's a way to further screw up football the OHSAA will find a way.
A bye week would certainly suck in my opinion.
And finally, basketball coaches won't like it.

Return to “Football”