Football Officials

BobcatQB
Varsity

Re: Football Officials

Post by BobcatQB »

Dundas wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:07 pm I’d say first off, don’t allow a crew which has members that own a local business that sponsors the home team to officiate said home teams games. That’s a start.
Come on man. So now we can’t advertise our business or sponsor teams just because we officiate? I advertise my business with and sponsor several surrounding schools in my marketing area and do business all over Ohio. So you’re saying I can only officiate games over 2 hours away or in another state? If there was a problem with an official I’m sure it would be reported.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

teach1coach2 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:59 am I think paying more would bring more young people out to officiate. $150 a game times 5 guys is $750. So doubling the pay. I know the football crazy people on here would not have a problem paying $10 to get in a game, but would the other fans pay it or stop coming to games?

I saw a few bad calls going to Tri-Valley games this year, but only once did I think it even remotely affected the outcome of the game. (Receiver blatantly interfered with on a 3rd down play late in the game.) If the better team would have taken care of business, the game would not have been close enough to matter.

Last thing: Go watch a game where your team is not involved. You might find you don't even notice the officials. I normally watch the local televised game of the week. Officiating looks fine.
100% correct, the bias is with the fan base. Sure an official is going to miss a call or maybe see it differently but for some reason anytime there's a flag the team it goes against fan base goes crazy. Did you see the play where they called jimmy for holding at guard when Johnny was running the play outside?? I go to games and I just laugh and a lot of people I try to educate at times because they drive me nuts. When I attended the Burg and Waverly game I sat on the visitor side and those people were yelling for a penalty on every play I just shook my head. Then there was a illegal motion penalty on Burg and 1 person from waverly started yelling it's a loss of down and everyone chimed in and started yelling. This was a case I lost it and just yelled out, "It's not a loss of down, JEEZ". Watching a game where you have no affiliation the refs don't come into play near as much. The games I've had someone close to me playing in the officials were always terrible and there was times I was like yeah that happened, but for the most part terrible, :lol: :lol:

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

greygoose wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:11 pm
teach1coach2 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:59 am I think paying more would bring more young people out to officiate. $150 a game times 5 guys is $750. So doubling the pay. I know the football crazy people on here would not have a problem paying $10 to get in a game, but would the other fans pay it or stop coming to games?

I saw a few bad calls going to Tri-Valley games this year, but only once did I think it even remotely affected the outcome of the game. (Receiver blatantly interfered with on a 3rd down play late in the game.) If the better team would have taken care of business, the game would not have been close enough to matter.

Last thing: Go watch a game where your team is not involved. You might find you don't even notice the officials. I normally watch the local televised game of the week. Officiating looks fine.
100% correct, the bias is with the fan base. Sure an official is going to miss a call or maybe see it differently but for some reason anytime there's a flag the team it goes against fan base goes crazy. Did you see the play where they called jimmy for holding at guard when Johnny was running the play outside?? I go to games and I just laugh and a lot of people I try to educate at times because they drive me nuts. When I attended the Burg and Waverly game I sat on the visitor side and those people were yelling for a penalty on every play I just shook my head. Then there was a illegal motion penalty on Burg and 1 person from waverly started yelling it's a loss of down and everyone chimed in and started yelling. This was a case I lost it and just yelled out, "It's not a loss of down, JEEZ". Watching a game where you have no affiliation the refs don't come into play near as much. The games I've had someone close to me playing in the officials were always terrible and there was times I was like yeah that happened, but for the most part terrible, :lol: :lol:
So true. The last several years I have tried to educate our fans during games, friends of mine of course. I'm honest with them when a call seems wrong to me but that doesn't happen often. EVERY TIME there is a flag people complain and blame the officials and you hear the ridiculous claims of a "horse collar", etc. I explain the rules to them and tell them why it wasn't called and that seems to help a bit. Basketball is so much worse and I think because there are so many more opportunities to scream and because of how close they are to the game. I still have to explain alot but it seems to help..at least I hear less yelling :)

Leave No Doubt
Riding the Bench

Post by Leave No Doubt »

fortdawg wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:34 pm The TVC needs an assigner who can also evaluate the individuals and crews.
That way coaches and AD's could send film in with examples of their complaints about a crew.

I would suggest not having guys/gals who coach or teach at a school in the conference do games that involve their home school---in any way.
These are terrible ideas. Why would we want to give up our ability to hire our own officials? First off, we'd be laying off a lot of people since we wouldn't need our AD's anymore. Secondly, how crazy would it be for us to give up hiring certain crews for big games? No matter cause even if I wanted to allow this to happen Tony would shoot it down in a second. He knows our coaches, especially basketball, want to hire their own crews. Lastly, we have a few of the best officials in this part of the state working at our school so why shouldn't we hire them? No, we will never be in favor of an assigner, so good luck with that in the TVC. You people need to just get better instead of always blaming the officials for every road game loss. SMDH

LEAVE NO DOUBT, TORNADOES!
TheNest
Waterboy

Post by TheNest »

What’s an average attendance in SEO? Would an extra $1 a ticket be enough to pay officials more?

I really think it’s a $$$ issue. It has to be worth the time and effort for people to get into it. You’re telling me we can’t pay HS officials a couple hundred a game?

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

TheNest wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:34 pm What’s an average attendance in SEO? Would an extra $1 a ticket be enough to pay officials more?

I really think it’s a $$$ issue. It has to be worth the time and effort for people to get into it. You’re telling me we can’t pay HS officials a couple hundred a game?
Some of us businessmen around town sure try to make sure our home officials get a few hundred a game. :mrgreen:

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

BobcatQB wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:32 pm
Dundas wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:07 pm I’d say first off, don’t allow a crew which has members that own a local business that sponsors the home team to officiate said home teams games. That’s a start.
Come on man. So now we can’t advertise our business or sponsor teams just because we officiate? I advertise my business with and sponsor several surrounding schools in my marketing area and do business all over Ohio. So you’re saying I can only officiate games over 2 hours away or in another state? If there was a problem with an official I’m sure it would be reported.
I just feel like it’s a conflict of interests. There are 71 southeast district teams so finding a game you aren’t affiliated with shouldn’t be that difficult. There was a problem and it was reported to the state. I’m not holding my breath but we will see if anything comes of it.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

They probably need to up the pay

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

So if I understand correctly, the TVC does not have an assigner. Wow. I thought all leagues had an assigner for varsity sports. I know the MVL, LCL, ECOL all have assigners. There is plenty for an AD to do beside hire officials. An assigner puts the best officials they can find on a game and tries to avoid scheduling people with conflicts (ie a teacher doing a varsity game when one opponent is the school where he/she teaches). You run into far less conflicts of interest when an assigner is in charge of decisions.

When I coached JV basketball I hated it when one of the officials was from the school district where I taught/coached. I understood guys were not going to travel far to do JV, but I felt like they were trying so hard to look impartial that any close calls went in favor of the other team. It might have just been my bias perspective, but I still hated it.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

teach1coach2 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:43 pm So if I understand correctly, the TVC does not have an assigner. Wow. I thought all leagues had an assigner for varsity sports. I know the MVL, LCL, ECOL all have assigners. There is plenty for an AD to do beside hire officials. An assigner puts the best officials they can find on a game and tries to avoid scheduling people with conflicts (ie a teacher doing a varsity game when one opponent is the school where he/she teaches). You run into far less conflicts of interest when an assigner is in charge of decisions.

When I coached JV basketball I hated it when one of the officials was from the school district where I taught/coached. I understood guys were not going to travel far to do JV, but I felt like they were trying so hard to look impartial that any close calls went in favor of the other team. It might have just been my bias perspective, but I still hated it.
The TVC Ohio schools use an assigner for Varsity sports.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

TVC Hocking?

I assume they have the same scheduler.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

teach1coach2 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:34 pm TVC Hocking?

Trimble uses one I believe now but most of the Hocking schools don't.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:33 am

I don't think Trimble does, but I believe Belpre uses one and Waterford uses one. However, when a school uses their own personal assigner it is not much different than just having your AD or coaches hire the officials. Only when the whole league uses the same assigner do you get the benefits of having one in my opinion.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Attack wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:05 am
Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:33 am

I don't think Trimble does, but I believe Belpre uses one and Waterford uses one. However, when a school uses their own personal assigner it is not much different than just having your AD or coaches hire the officials. Only when the whole league uses the same assigner do you get the benefits of having one in my opinion.
The main benifit is not using the same officials each week. The Ohio schools all use the same assigner.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Barber1973
Freshman Team

Post by Barber1973 »

In basketball i always laugh when i hear peeps in stands screaming 3 seconds 3 seconds after about 4 offensive rebounds. Or on a rebound screaming over the back over the back

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Leave No Doubt wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:09 am
fortdawg wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:34 pm The TVC needs an assigner who can also evaluate the individuals and crews.
That way coaches and AD's could send film in with examples of their complaints about a crew.

I would suggest not having guys/gals who coach or teach at a school in the conference do games that involve their home school---in any way.
These are terrible ideas. Why would we want to give up our ability to hire our own officials? First off, we'd be laying off a lot of people since we wouldn't need our AD's anymore. Secondly, how crazy would it be for us to give up hiring certain crews for big games? No matter cause even if I wanted to allow this to happen Tony would shoot it down in a second. He knows our coaches, especially basketball, want to hire their own crews. Lastly, we have a few of the best officials in this part of the state working at our school so why shouldn't we hire them? No, we will never be in favor of an assigner, so good luck with that in the TVC. You people need to just get better instead of always blaming the officials for every road game loss. SMDH
Athletic Directors do a whole lot more than hire officials. I am actually surprised there are still school districts that haven't made the AD position a full time administrative position. With the amount of work, time, and responsibility involved, it sure isn't worth the 5k-8k to add that work on top of their teaching position and duties they have there.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Fonzie wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:19 pm
Leave No Doubt wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:09 am

Athletic Directors do a whole lot more than hire officials. I am actually surprised there are still school districts that haven't made the AD position a full time administrative position. With the amount of work, time, and responsibility involved, it sure isn't worth the 5k-8k to add that work on top of their teaching position and duties they have there.
Most AD positions have went from full-time to supplemental. Most small schools can't afford to pay a full-time AD.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Football”