Too Many Teams?

BigChuck
JV Team

Too Many Teams?

Post by BigChuck »

Are there too many teams now making the playoffs? Seems like an awful lot of blowouts and a lot of less-than-mediocre teams playing in the post season....

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
BigChuck
JV Team

Re: Too Many Teams?

Post by BigChuck »

or....should the State pick the best teams in the state regardless of region? I have to imagine there are some strong teams that don't make the playoffs that are way better than what we are putting in here in southern Ohio.

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

Lol. I jus said same thang on another forum. Need to go back to top 4. Most of these games are a waste of time.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

It’s fine how it is. It’s a lot better than it was back in the day

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I think 8 is good. Too many divisions maybe.

Ny92
Freshman Team

Post by Ny92 »

I read the other day they are currently debating 12 teams per region . The top 4 would have a 1st round bye. It's all about money they dont care how watered down it is.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

They’ll be blowouts regardless. Just enjoy football season because it sucks when it’s over.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

SEO district had 16 teams playing in round 1 which was only 7% of the state total. The district as a whole won 7 games (3 played other SEO teams) by a combined avg of 29 ppg and lost 9 by a combined avg. 30 ppg.. All but 1 of the teams that won 1st round games: Ironton, Jackson, Waverly, Wheelersburg, Trimble and Southeastern were at or near the Top 10 list of most people that commented all year on that topic & posts on here. The only outsider was Waterford. I guess my answer to the question is I still think 8 is too many and if they expand to 12 it's ridiculous.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
nerkfan
JV Team

Post by nerkfan »

Totally disagree. Too many 5-8 end up winning the region. Sure there are blowouts but more 5-8's win in the first round than blowouts.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

12 is too many, no reason for that. 8 is fine.

GOBLUE2005
Riding the Bench

Post by GOBLUE2005 »

I couldnt disagree more. I think 8 is fine and 12 is better, or eliminate the regions and take the top 32 teams in the division. Also people think that the 5-8 teams are a waste...... Well just look around, in Div 4 reg 16 tonight the 2 3 and 4 teams all lost

Shoedaddy
Freshman Team

Post by Shoedaddy »

Anyone have any data? It would be interesting to see how many5-8 won a region or a state championship. I’m ok with 8, really would like to start the season a week earlier and have a bye after week 10.Juat think, if a team makes the state championship they will have played 15 straight games.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

8 is great...#7 Valley View just knocked off #2 Clinton Massie tonight. It happens a lot every year. 1st year they went to 8 in 1999 #8 seed ironton went all the way to the state championship game.
Region14 #8 clyde beat #1 keystone tonight in D4. #2 Indian Valley lost to #7 Bloom Carroll. Only taking 4 teams in each region was never good. It kept some of the best teams out of the playoffs every year. #1 western reserve 9-1 lost tonight to 5-5 #8 Carey. #1 Lima central Catholic lost to #8 Fairview. #1 new Miami lost to #8 new Bremen. #1 chaminade julianne lost to #8 archbishop alter. That's just some of the bigger upsets this weekend.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Last year licking valley went to the final 4 as 7 seed

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:05 pm It’s fine how it is. It’s a lot better than it was back in the day
I agree with raider man, leave it alone. think of the kids.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
14U
S

Post by 14U »

nerkfan wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:30 pm Totally disagree. Too many 5-8 end up winning the region. Sure there are blowouts but more 5-8's win in the first round than blowouts.
Portsmouth had the best team in the State in 2000 and got beat by a 8 seed in the State Semifinals. Also I’ve seen couple 500 team go deep. Some teams gel going into the second half of the season too. It’s just in southern Ohio the has a lot of blowouts! Just look all around Ohio good games. It depends on conferences too! Weak vs strong conference.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:33 am 8 is great...#7 Valley View just knocked off #2 Clinton Massie tonight. It happens a lot every year. 1st year they went to 8 in 1999 #8 seed ironton went all the way to the state championship game.
Region14 #8 clyde beat #1 keystone tonight in D4. #2 Indian Valley lost to #7 Bloom Carroll. Only taking 4 teams in each region was never good. It kept some of the best teams out of the playoffs every year. #1 western reserve 9-1 lost tonight to 5-5 #8 Carey. #1 Lima central Catholic lost to #8 Fairview. #1 new Miami lost to #8 new Bremen. #1 chaminade julianne lost to #8 archbishop alter. That's just some of the bigger upsets this weekend.
You answered what I just put down. There isn’t a lot of blowouts if you look at the whole state of Ohio. This people only look in their area only but there is good football state wide! Around southern Ohio you have strong conferences playing weak conferences. You take the OVC every team got destroyed but Ironton, it’s a basketball conference. That conference doesn’t play up or tough non conference games and it shows every year in my book.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:35 am
Raider6309 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:05 pm It’s fine how it is. It’s a lot better than it was back in the day
I agree with raider man, leave it alone. think of the kids.
Yes leave it! Remember back in our day Paulcrew? They took one and the year 85 had 3 tough teams and two stayed home in Ironton and Portsmouth west as Portsmouth went and was state semifinals. That year either 1 of the 3 could have made a good run with a field of 8. Then they went 4 year after, sad! Then went 8 great! Love football and 15 games is the right number no more no less.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

8 is just fine and there's zero need to eliminate regions especially if it's going to matchup teams according to distance, by doing that you basically downplay the entire regular season for a lot of teams. Sorry we need to let #12 and #13 play because they're closer and #5 and #6 because you were ranked higher and had a better year you don't get to benefit from playing a lower seed because you guys are 20 min. away from each other, that's a bunch of crap good way to ruin the playoffs is all the talk of eliminating regions does. If my count is correct 5-#8 seeds beat the #1 seed this weekend and a few others pushed the #1 seed to the limits, is it like this every year, no but I think we're good where we are at start getting into 12 and we're watering down the system and playing more games then that a NFL team plays.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Let me see if I have my math correct. In football we have seven divisions with four regions each. That is a total of 28 regions. In each region, 8 teams make playoffs. So that means 224 schools across the state have playoff teams. Hmmmmmm.......

Why not go to 10 divisions? Hear me out.......maintain 4 regions per division. Take top 6 from each region plus as two at large bids from all the rest of the teams in the state to round out the field. Yes, more schools would make it but I bet the games would be closer as well. Division 10 could be an 8 man division. We all know its coming and is needed. Under this setup, 320 schools make it. but 32 of them would be 8 man teams. tightening the enrollment sizes schould make the competition better.

OK go ahead.....thoughts?

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!

Return to “Football”