Playoffs and the OVC

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Playoffs and the OVC

Post by greygoose »

MrFirstTake wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:16 pm
goUK wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:07 pm It would be cool if the ovc could have their out of conference game in week 1, 3 and 5. Just to spread out the tough or weak OOC schedules. And Ironton, cg portsmouth and gallia could all play each other late in the season.

For example irontons schedule
Burg
Sp
Ashland
Rh
Russell
Chesapeake
Fairland
Cg
Gallia
Ports(rival week)
I like this idea too that way we can play a really strong team week 5 when they’ve had time to get a few games under their belt and everything. Sometimes it’s tough playing a strong out of conference schedule when all three games are week 1-3
Somewhat limited when it comes to saying week 1,3,5 because you have to remember most other leagues are in league play come week 5. So you might not be getting that tough play like you'd like just because of other league play weeks.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:04 pm Ironton rolls
Gallia and Portsmouth both blown out.

Until this year with Ironton and what is expected of them, only recent success is Coal Grove in D6.

My point is the OVC isn’t preparing D4 and D5 schools for the playoffs. Tougher non league schedules are needed, or are we happy with going 8-2, 9-1 sneaking in and getting blown out?

If Portsmouth or Gallia were still in the SEOAL, or played the schedule they played before Portsmouth joined the SEOAL I don’t think we would have been 8-2, but would have had a more realistic idea of where we stood.

This is no offense to any OVC school, but are we happy with just making it or do we want win once we get there? What’s the difference in our schools and those that have playoff success?

Ironton played a tough non league schedule, that has prepared them. That is the first thing I see needed from must of us is stepping up the non league.

Where do we go from here as a conference?? Or are we just gonna be a basketball conference?
The OVC was balanced this year and very competitive for the most part. I think it is important when looking at the conference that we realize that the conference was very balanced overall.

Ironton was not Ironton. It was a mixture of nearly every school in the area. Raceland, Rock Hill, Wheelersburg, Coal Grove, Ashland, Hilliard and I'm sure there are more. When a team has that many transfers they should, and will most years, have a good season. I am sure that if they didn't have the all the transfers....they would have taken a major step back toward the pack.

Portsmouth had a great year with Parker and a young Sophomore QB. They now have to build without their stud for the past 4 years. I am sure they will.

Gallia is loaded with the return of most all of their players from a year ago. Armstrong is a dynamic back, the QB is a special talent, and their line should be very good.

The OVC is a strong conference and when the teams are compromised of talent from the communities they are in, most years this league will be a toss up, which is what you want when looking for a conference.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth has a serious challenge going forward, having to replace the loss of 9 starters on a defense that was better this year but still not championship level. Talyn Parker is gone, as well as wideouts Eric Purdy and Bryce Wallace. The O-line does have 3 starters back, and QB Drew Roe, who I think will be one of the better QB's in the SE district next season. The JV team went 6-2, with losses to Ironton (close game) and Spring Valley (WV). The losses on defense concern me the most. Hopefully the program has built enough momentum under Coach Kalb to help ease the holes to fill for 2020.

Return to “Football”