Questioning coaches and their decisions.

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Questioning coaches and their decisions.

Post by wobycat »

Howard Cosell wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:37 pm And as for the coaching, I think it’s difficult to question when the best comments fans offer is:

1. “Ya gotta throw the ball.”

2. “Ya gotta block!”

3. “Ya gotta tackle!”
The problem is fans are quick to complain and not think of the time coaches put in planning. Coaches work hard to make the right moves. Obviously it’s easy to look back and be critical.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

123xxx wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:41 pm Woby-one...

If you’ve never been a head coach you have zero clue what it takes. Sure be a fan, be critical, be proud, be excited and be happy. But by no means think your opinion matters when it comes to hours of preparation that frankly 95% of the fans have no clue how to teach young people. I’m a fan and I love athletics. But I guess because of my many years in coaching (now happily retired), I am as the Bible states, slow to speak and quick to listen. It seems fans are just the opposite...emotional and quick to judge. So although you hate the sentiment of “put your name in the hat,” your perspective would be far broadened then it is presently. Simply stated, fans look from the front row (including me at times), and coaches look from the balcony.

But hey, It’s America...
Look I was just asking a question. I agree with everything you said. I’m not a stand in the stands fan coach. I was just wondering why it’s taboo to sit and talk with someone and not be able to disagree with what the coaches do? The response is always if you want to, go coach yourself. There’s nothing malice about disagreeing with a decision or a tactic. I’m a burgfan. I think the burg coaches are the best in the area hands down. Perhaps I worded the topic wrong. I was just wondering what people thought.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

I saw something the other day on Twitter:

“Everyone wants to call plays on Friday Nights, but nobody wants to put in the work from Saturday morning to Friday afternoon.”

I coached varsity football for a few years, and I will admit, it’s time consuming. A lot of time away from my family. I was working 40 hours a week, plus an additional 30+ hours (including practices, games, watching film, scouting, coaches meetings). I loved it, but I hated it at the same time. I gave it up because I wanted to spend more time with my growing kids. Don’t get me wrong, I miss it, but I have never regretted that decision. It’s easy to sit in the stands and criticize coaching decisions, but it’s harder to put in the work, to get to the point to make those decision, and not everyone wants to do it.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

OVC wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:14 pm I saw something the other day on Twitter:

“Everyone wants to call plays on Friday Nights, but nobody wants to put in the work from Saturday morning to Friday afternoon.”

I coached varsity football for a few years, and I will admit, it’s time consuming. A lot of time away from my family. I was working 40 hours a week, plus an additional 30+ hours (including practices, games, watching film, scouting, coaches meetings). I loved it, but I hated it at the same time. I gave it up because I wanted to spend more time with my growing kids. Don’t get me wrong, I miss it, but I have never regretted that decision. It’s easy to sit in the stands and criticize coaching decisions, but it’s harder to put in the work, to get to the point to make those decision, and not everyone wants to do it.
Good point. I think good coaching staffs are able to block out people’s opinions and do what they know is best for the team. I’m like most fans. I’ve said before, “why didn’t they do this or that?”

But is that too extreme?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Players win and lose games. Parents/fans of course view it as players win games and coaches lose games

TheNest
Waterboy

Post by TheNest »

Nothing wrong with questioning a coach imo. Now it should stay civil on here, but disagreeing with a decision is fine.

Not that’s it’s much money given the time spent, but these are tax payer dollars that pay the coach contracts. Residents of that district absolutely have a right to some level of expectations.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TheNest wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:12 pm Nothing wrong with questioning a coach imo. Now it should stay civil on here, but disagreeing with a decision is fine.

Not that’s it’s much money given the time spent, but these are tax payer dollars that pay the coach contracts. Residents of that district absolutely have a right to some level of expectations.
Well that’s intense. I have no say in any of those decisions. Just curious what people thought was appropriate.

I completely understand that coaches care less what I or any other fan think. That’s a given, but as a fan I’d like to think I could disagree with a play, etc and not get criticized. Maybe I’m wrong. Don’t know.

REDMEN95
JV Team

Post by REDMEN95 »

Let the coaches do their job! That’s the problem I. Most places...parents try to run everything!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

REDMEN95 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:38 pm Let the coaches do their job! That’s the problem I. Most places...parents try to run everything!
That’s true. Places like burg, it’s hard to do that considering the results they put in every year.

TheNest
Waterboy

Post by TheNest »

wobycat wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:31 pm
TheNest wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:12 pm Nothing wrong with questioning a coach imo. Now it should stay civil on here, but disagreeing with a decision is fine.

Well that’s intense. I have no say in any of those decisions. Just curious what people thought was appropriate.

I completely understand that coaches care less what I or any other fan think. That’s a given, but as a fan I’d like to think I could disagree with a play, etc and not get criticized. Maybe I’m wrong. Don’t know.
You have a say in those decisions every time you vote for a school board member.

But yeah I agree, fans should be able to have an opinion without being made out to be a bad guy.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

wobycat wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:33 pm

Good point. I think good coaching staffs are able to block out people’s opinions and do what they know is best for the team. I’m like most fans. I’ve said before, “why didn’t they do this or that?”

But is that too extreme?

I feel you say whatever you want nobody has to agree or like it. But people are so sensitive and childish you just can barely say anything anymore

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

And who decides what those expectations are? Winning? Initially, school sports were formed to give kids something to do to keep them out of trouble. They were used to build character. Then someone decided it would be a good idea to keep score and the whole thing has been in degradation since. Paying teachers to sponsor an activity was seen as a way to supplement crappy income. I guess that maybe made some taxpayers feel better since the lowly teacher could always do some coaching or head up a club to make a few dollars. That isnt where we are today though.

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

wobycat wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:31 pm

I think the manner in which you voice your opinion is a factor too. Does the coaches wife and family have to listen to you exercise your first amendment right? Does that right allow you the opportunity to make it personal? What if you are like that sheets guy at eastern who doesnt know anything but that doesnt stop him from being loud, obnoxious, and offensive? Is that OK in todays world?

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

wobycat wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:33 pm

But is that too extreme?
I was in the crows nest, so I had to learn to block it out on my way to the top and coming back down, and trust me there were times I wanted to say something back! don’t think it’s too extreme to question a coaching call. But you also have to remember the coach is also questioning his calls sometimes too. It can become an “if/then” scenario, especially in a close game. I was not perfect, far from it. I remember losing a JV game one time that was within 5 points, and I was kicking my self for punting it on the 50 yard line on a 4th and 2. The thing is, as a coach, you don’t start questioning your decisions until after the game.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
TheNest
Waterboy

Post by TheNest »

wobycat wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:51 pm

If you’ve never been a head coach you have zero clue what it takes. Sure be a fan, be critical, be proud, be excited and be happy. But by no means think your opinion matters when it comes to hours of preparation that frankly 95% of the fans have no clue how to teach young people. I’m a fan and I love athletics. But I guess because of my many years in coaching (now happily retired), I am as the Bible states, slow to speak and quick to listen. It seems fans are just the opposite...emotional and quick to judge. So although you hate the sentiment of “put your name in the hat,” your perspective would be far broadened then it is presently. Simply stated, fans look from the front row (including me at times), and coaches look from the balcony.

But hey, It’s America...
Look I was just asking a question. I agree with everything you said. I’m not a stand in the stands fan coach. I was just wondering why it’s taboo to sit and talk with someone and not be able to disagree with what the coaches do? The response is always if you want to, go coach yourself. There’s nothing malice about disagreeing with a decision or a tactic. I’m a burgfan. I think the burg coaches are the best in the area hands down. Perhaps I worded the topic wrong. I was just wondering what people thought.
Woby part of it is the society we live in. For some reason we can’t tolerate different options anymore. Anytime someone disagrees we must discredit them or their opinion in some way.

There was a time we could just say we don’t agree with something and that was that. Maybe someday we’ll learn to do that again.

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

Football is a tough game to coach.It has to be your hobby or only passion.Basketball you can work on your shot and ball skills at home.It is really hard to block and tackle yourself in the driveway.Most of these small High schools s with 20 to 30 players,the job is unrealistic.You put in4 hours a night at practice, watch 20 to 25 hours a week watching film or more.Add in another 10 to 15 hours a week taking care of your field and then get ripped on Friday night,no thanks.Been there done that.Most D6 and 7 coaches are there because they love being around the kids.My hats off to any coach who does the best he can.If you start the season and finish with a better product than you started with,THAT is a success!!

OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

But hey, It’s America...
AMEN to this. Questioning something is fine if you're ignorant to what is going on. As in you don't have the knowledge or aren't savvy to what the gameplan is or was. Ask questions, gain knowledge on the game, that would be great. But if you think you have a better understanding on what needs to be done than the team or coaches and think your opinion needs to be heard, then keep your mouth shut. You're not the one watching film, going over how to stop a certain player or practicing plays that the coaching staff believes will be effective in their gameplan. One thing I HATE is when parents or fans who have NEVER played the game, "get in to the game" and start yelling at the coaches. For example this year I watched a game where the offense was running a spread and they were taught well enough that if the outside DB is playing 7-8 yards off the ball then it's an automatic catch and throw hot route. This team did this a few plays in a row and on consecutive drives and all the moms and dads down by the sideline started yellin at the coaches "THEY'RE GOING TO THE SIDES! YOU GOTTA STOP THEM FROM GOING TO THE SIDES! WHY AREN'T YOU STOPPING THEM FROM GOING TO THE SIDES!" From that statement alone you can tell that they have absolutely NO idea what they're talking about. And It's parents/fans like that that makes coaching hard because coaches don't want to hear that, they don't want to deal with the problems, and it takes the enjoyment out of doing what they love!

Moral of the story lol If you have questions because you don't understand, ask. :lol:

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

It cracks me up and has for many decades to listen to some people at games. Most that do the griping have never played an organized sport in their life at any level. Why ain't we throwing the ball, I don't know what he's doing, we gotta stop the run, them's stupid plays, why ain't he playing, they should be running more, why can't we tackle, he ain't even trying, they don't even wanna be here, what was that play, we're getting outcoached etc. Oh boy, if they only had a clue !!!!! :lol:

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I'd say coaches decisions are fair game. I'd say bashing the coach and taking it to a personal level is off limits.

I agree 100% with FANOSPORTS! Many people posting in this forum comes across as never playing a down past pee wee football.

bigdude_222
Waterboy

Post by bigdude_222 »

Fans have the right to question. Coaches have the right to not respond. They also have the right to not be accosted after a game or even the next morning. Nothing good comes of this. Situation is already heated after a game, no one will be in the right state of mind to productively discuss a situation. Coaches don’t owe fans any explanation. They all make the decision they feel is best at the moment. No one wants to make a bad decision. They already know if they do. They may need to talk to a player or a parent, but I am a big proponent of scheduling a meeting with the player, parent, position coach and head coach. This will give everyone a chance to cool off and have a discussion that can be productive.

As a coach myself my biggest fear is what my family has to hear from many outrageous, over the top crowd members. Most of us aren’t worried about ourselves having thick skin, we worry about what a half drunk idiot is going to say to or near them in the stands. My wife handles it better than I would. She usually pulls the, ‘want to go to the concession stand girls or listen to the mean man yell bad words at daddy?” card. People don’t think about that kind of stuff, they just yell.

Return to “Football”