Congratulations Portsmouth class of 2020

portsmouth_98
All State

Congratulations Portsmouth class of 2020

Post by portsmouth_98 »

This class has been the winningest class at PHS since the class of 2006 which was actually a small senior class that went 2-8 their senior year. They are the first class to make two trips to the playoffs since that class and the first to make back to back trips since the class of 2003. I know the schedule had been picked to death but we are playing teams we couldn't consistently beat just a few years ago and over their junior and senior years they learned to put those teams away with the only questionable loss being to a 4-6 Coal Grove team. Thanks for the fun seniors, it was a fun ride. As for the lower classes time to hit the weight rooms, we are losing a lot of players and the schedule should be a little harder next year but these next 2 or 3 years are crucial in deciding whether we continue to build and get better or fall back in to mediocrity. Let's make it 3 winning seasons in a row and 4 out 5 in 2020 guys.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Re: Congratulations Portsmouth class of 2020

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Congrats to a fine group of seniors. You play who is on the schedule. They won 8 of them this year and made it to the post season. Ridgewood is a very good team and no shame in that. I’ve enjoyed watching this group. It will be sad seeing a new team next year without those 14 kids.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
OVCFAN83
Waterboy

Post by OVCFAN83 »

What is the career yards for Parker? Its gotta be way up there.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I think he was around 55 or 5600 for his career.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Thanks to all the Trojans and the class of 2020 for doing something that hasn't been done in 17 years at PHS.......make the playoffs back to back years. It was all the more enjoyable considering how much the program floundered for 10 years with barely 30 wins. Yes, the Trojans were not competitive vs. Ironton and Ridgewood, but that's doesn't take anything away from what our kids accomplished. I would much rather see our Trojans play in a lopsided loss in week 11 instead of sitting at home after week 10 which is what the football team was doing for 11 years.

After talking to Coach Kalb on Monday, he is upbeat about the direction of the program despite losing 14 starters, 9 on defense. The JV went 6-2, losing only to Spring Valley (WV) and Ironton (competitive game with the Fighting Tigers), there are 3 starters back on the O-line, QB Drew Roe will be coming back after a very good sophomore year, and there are some good skill players ready to step up into their time. The 2020 football season has some questions, but I'm going with the track record of Coach Kalb that the Trojans will put a competitive football product on the field.

There aren't too many coaches who can put on their resume that they made the playoffs in their first two years on the job.

Thanks, Class of 2020! You made the Portsmouth community proud!!

TrojanTru
Waterboy

Post by TrojanTru »

OVCFAN83 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:22 am What is the career yards for Parker? Its gotta be way up there.
His dad’s record was 5,514 and broke that in week 6 (5,626) and he tacked on 250+ the next week, I’d say he’s over 6,000 career yards. That’s pretty impressive after missing almost half his Freshman and Sophmore season due to injury. Sure gonna miss that kid, along with the entire class of 2020! JoJo has another ball player in 7th grade followed by a speedster on the peewee team, so we could possibly see more Parker’s in the record books!

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Congrats seniors, you have been a fun group to watch. Thank you for bringing excitement back to Trojan football that we haven’t seen in many years. Look forward to you joining the rest of us old guys in the stands next year to root on our fellow Trojans. Once a Trojan always a Trojan.

Underclassmen the torch has been lit, it is now up to you to feed that fire and care it too then next level. WEIGHT ROOM, WEIGHT ROOM, WEIGHT ROOM. You will never get this time back, don’t let someone beat you because they out worked you.

I feel positive going forward under coach Kalb even without Parker, although as Dave mentioned there are more on the way. Roe will be the go to next year, and has proved he is very capable. Line needs size and but 3 returning with a year in the weight room can go along way. Defense will be interesting, as we still continued to struggle at times, but there has been vast improvement. We don’t miss tackles like we once did, don’t get caught out of position like we once did, that’s coaching, coach Kalb and coach Duncan before him did a good job fixing these problems, but it’s not an overnight fix. I expect continued improvement.

Return to “Football”