Ironton Vs Spring Valley WV?

kantucky
Varsity

Ironton Vs Spring Valley WV?

Post by kantucky »

What do you all think? think it would be a good one to add to the schedule in the future. They're making a lot of noise. They THROTTLED Ashland, Kentucky 35 - 0 this year.

Not that long ago, people in southern Ohio mocked Kentucky and WV football but lately, they've been some of the toughest of opponents and offer a great challenge

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Ironton Vs Spring Valley WV?

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I see no reason to mess with anything, great rivalries in burg, Russell, and Ashland , and seven league games. I'm all about keeping the histories of those rivalries intact.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and it might come over as too big fer our britches. which we're not. just because we are having a great year. and Ashland beat us. give this some years and re-evaluate.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

They would have to drop either Burg, Russell or Ashland.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Yeah, that's the downside of the OVC , only 3 non league games.

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

kantucky wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:46 pm What do you all think? think it would be a good one to add to the schedule in the future. They're making a lot of noise. They THROTTLED Ashland, Kentucky 35 - 0 this year.

Not that long ago, people in southern Ohio mocked Kentucky and WV football but lately, they've been some of the toughest of opponents and offer a great challenge
I assume the “mocking” happened the year Ironton beat Dupont 42-6 and Coal Grove beat Buffalo Wayne. Dupont went on to win the AAA State title and Buffalo won the AA title.
Neither Ironton or Coal Grove won titles in Ohio

Those days are long in the past with even further consolidation happening in Wva.
I think scrimmaging Jackson and maybe Spring Valley would be good ideas. I’d also like to see Itonton continue to schedule schools like this on the junior high and JV level.
If Ironton would move to a smaller conference like the SOC, that would give more non conference options, maybe they could take on a game like Spring Valley.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Yes Paul, I agree. I think most Ironton fans always enjoyed seeing new opponents from time to time in the past. The unknown might help better prepare for the playoffs?

I'm also thinking of Huntington East when they were ranked the number one team in the state, regardless of Div. It was really fun for me as my niece cheered for East.

The Tigers often received no small amount of criticism for facing Kentucky and WV teams. It did help them make the playoffs at times but hey, if they wanted them they could have scheduled them as well. Can't fault Coaches Lutz and Burcham for being savvy

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Really not impressed. Tired of you guys stroking yourselves by telling us all how great them Tiggers are. Want me to be impressed. Schedule Massillon. Call it "The Ultimate Cat Fight". I bet ESPN would televise. Imagine the money.

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
BigChuck
JV Team

Post by BigChuck »

Sorry. Ironton, just like Ashland, doesn’t belong on the same field as Spring Valley....different level!

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

Paulcrew wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:19 pm
kantucky wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:46 pm What do you all think? think it would be a good one to add to the schedule in the future. They're making a lot of noise. They THROTTLED Ashland, Kentucky 35 - 0 this year.

I assume the “mocking” happened the year Ironton beat Dupont 42-6 and Coal Grove beat Buffalo Wayne. Dupont went on to win the AAA State title and Buffalo won the AA title.

Those days are long in the past with even further consolidation happening in Wva.
I think scrimmaging Jackson and maybe Spring Valley would be good ideas. I’d also like to see Itonton continue to schedule schools like this on the junior high and JV level.
If Ironton would move to a smaller conference like the SOC, that would give more non conference options, maybe they could take on a game like Spring Valley.

My memory is a little foggy on it but i think in 1992 ironton beat Dupont 35-0 at ironton. That Dupont team had senior Eric Moss (Randy Moss brother) that went to Ohio State and later went to Minnesota, and freshman Randy Moss. That team only had the 1 loss to ironton going into the state championship game vs Capitol W.V. and lost 14-12 to the Cougars.
In 1993 ironton beat Dupont at Dupont 27-8 with Duponts only touchdown being scored by Randy Moss on a hand off to Moss when he was in motion. That was Duponts only loss that season as they beat Capitol Cougars 28-7 in the state championship game.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

great memories this conjours up. very fortunate to have seen so many of these games over the last 59
years.

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:30 pm

My memory is a little foggy on it but i think in 1992 ironton beat Dupont 35-0 at ironton. That Dupont team had senior Eric Moss (Randy Moss brother) that went to Ohio State and later went to Minnesota, and freshman Randy Moss. That team only had the 1 loss to ironton going into the state championship game vs Capitol W.V. and lost 14-12 to the Cougars.
In 1993 ironton beat Dupont at Dupont 27-8 with Duponts only touchdown being scored by Randy Moss on a hand off to Moss when he was in motion. That was Duponts only loss that season as they beat Capitol Cougars 28-7 in the state championship game.
Giorgio, I’ll defer to
you. I had all of that past information at one time in life. I loaned my info out but never got it back. Either way, I know the year Dupont won a state title, so to Buffalo Wayne (now 1/3 Spring Valley). Coal grove beat that team and i think it was in wayne county. Larry McCloud if I remember correctly was a very good player on that Buffalo team.

SEOP2001
Riding the Bench

Post by SEOP2001 »

No disrespect to Ironton. You have a really good football team. But SV is a totally different level of football based on basic numbers. SV would be a larger D1 program in Ohio, I would think. Most years, I’d imagine Cabell Midland, SV, and Huntington High (down this year) would just be too much for the Tigers.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

SEOP2001 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:45 am No disrespect to Ironton. You have a really good football team. But SV is a totally different level of football based on basic numbers. SV would be a larger D1 program in Ohio, I would think. Most years, I’d imagine Cabell Midland, SV, and Huntington High (down this year) would just be too much for the Tigers.
By numbers you could be correct. Curious to see their teams play Cleveland ST. Edwards , ST. Iggy , or St. X

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Burg plays Spring Valley and Cabell Midland in Freshman ball. Great games for us. I would think this would be a good idea for Ironton as well.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

That same year burg beat a number 1 ranked team in Huntington team 46-6? Ironton, Portsmouth and burg had good runs in WV in 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s but those Ky, WV schools got better with school closing and joining together. Well some of them. Spring Valley is 3 schools into one and a few other small schools closed their doors and put them with bigger school. I remember Portsmouth playing spring valley and beating them pretty good and Huntington high. Now days those schools are not the same as they were in the 80’s-2000’s .

Ps- didn’t randy Moss and Jason Williams play on that DuPont team?

OVCFAN83
Waterboy

Post by OVCFAN83 »

Poo Bear wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:55 am
SEOP2001 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:45 am No disrespect to Ironton. You have a really good football team. But SV is a totally different level of football based on basic numbers. SV would be a larger D1 program in Ohio, I would think. Most years, I’d imagine Cabell Midland, SV, and Huntington High (down this year) would just be too much for the Tigers.
By numbers you could be correct. Curious to see their teams play Cleveland ST. Edwards , ST. Iggy , or St. X
They would be D2 in Ohio.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:32 am great memories this conjours up. very fortunate to have seen so many of these games over the last 59
years.
Yes great memories in the 80’s and 90’s when Ironton were a independent and played anybody or great teams with many players going to the next level. I went and watched many Tiger games back then and the gates were huge. Full stadium.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Spring Valley was built in the 90’s with three school joining. It took awhile to get things going there because those 3 schools were rivals and putting them together took time. The 3?were Buffalo, ceredo conova , and another. All tough small schools in WV. Portsmouth and Ironton played spring valley until the 2000’s as both joined conferences and went away from Ky and WV schools.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Ironton freshman vs spring valley?
Attachments
584A895D-F416-4F68-8DE0-459C53F916FA.jpeg

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵

Return to “Football”