Refs Blow It

Ground Buck
All Conference

Re: Refs Blow It

Post by Ground Buck »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:23 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:27 pm This angle shows it was clearly a touchdown

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yPynLbFABSc
Why would you bringing facts into a message board? You suck all the fun out of the complainers who have to lay blame!
I believe this is one reason why the TVC Hocking won't approve an assigner. Have you ever seen a post on here by a fan of a losing team in the Hocking in that they didn't blame the refs? Having an assigner would take that excuse away from them. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Best part is when people create profiles just to start this type of crap.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:13 pm Best part is when people create profiles just to start this type of crap.
I wonder how that happens if the posters profile was created months and months prior to this post?

Hmm.

Do ya think maybe just tossing out accusations without basis is not wise or is it just how ya roll? 😂

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

ArmChairQB wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:59 am
SpeedKillz wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:43 am Mentor fumbles. Ruled down instead.

Because he was down! It was a bang bang play. Very close!
If it was a bang/bang play and its "very close" how are you able to assert the outcome so matter of factly?

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:08 am

Looks down, but it's extremely close but right call was made.
Ssys who?

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:06 am OHSAA cheating those private schools again? And a ful clip of the play from the actual GL would help, you can not tell anything from that clip. Or better yet, you could officiate and do better. Oh and it’s all the officials that made St Ed fumble on their 1 yd line going in as well.

How is a whataboutism relevant to the question?

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

farmer wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:22 am Sure doesn't look from the angle filmed it was a score. The #6 official in the Mentor uniform was right there to make the call. As he clearly had his arms up to signal a score.
Sure is tough to work to get to this point in the playoffs and to never know what could have been. This no matter how you want to say it will bother some for a long time maybe the rest of their lives. Especially if Mentor wins the State Championship.

Best comment on the thread. Unbiased and reasonable.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

SpeedKillz wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:37 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:08 am

Looks down, but it's extremely close but right call was made.
Ssys who?
Says the call on the field and the only opinion that matters, the official. You can't sit there and say without a shadow of a doubt he fumbled. It's so close and such a bang bang play that in real time, which is what the officials are dealing with not some obsessed fan watching video, then it's pretty clear to see why they called it that way.
Last edited by greygoose on Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If the ground cannot cause a fumble..this wasn't a fumble.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Looked like a fumble to me. Player started to lose control of the ball before his knee hit the turf. Very close call though, I wouldn’t fault the refs on this one.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

you know what they say the game shouldn’t have came down to this. Don’t be leave it up to the refs

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Post by sapientia et veritas »

In the NFL this season, the reversal rate of reviewed plays is hovering right around 34%. NFL. Elite officials. Wrong 1/3 of the time when reviewed. What do you think the high school error rate is? On another discussion board that rhymes with snappy, there are a few high school officials who are active. If you even implied that they *might* be wrong 1/3 of the time, they would blow a gasket. Even though the numbers show that the best officials in the business are wrong that often. Hartley has won two straight playoffs games where I would objectively say that the officiating was biased in their favor. Not because the refs were cheating or "homers." Simply that the number of objectively wrong calls were statistically skewed in Hartley's favor. Fumble where the runner was ruled down. Uncalled late hit on QB, one of which also had an uncalled pass interference on the intended receiver. It adds up. The team that has calls made against them gets demoralized. The team that gets away with stuff pushes the envelope and practically dares the refs to call something.

Eds did it wrong, and that's why they lost the game. You gotta get up by two or three scores to create an insurmountable margin where bad calls won't change the outcome of the game. I think the coaches all know this. I think the OHSAA knows it. And I think that people get subtle pressure to not call it out for what it is. Officiating is terrible, and sometimes one team is impacted by it more than the other. TV and video is making it obvious. And that's why refs are quitting. They're just not that good.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:36 pm In the NFL this season, the reversal rate of reviewed plays is hovering right around 34%. NFL. Elite officials. Wrong 1/3 of the time when reviewed. What do you think the high school error rate is? On another discussion board that rhymes with snappy, there are a few high school officials who are active. If you even implied that they *might* be wrong 1/3 of the time, they would blow a gasket. Even though the numbers show that the best officials in the business are wrong that often. Hartley has won two straight playoffs games where I would objectively say that the officiating was biased in their favor. Not because the refs were cheating or "homers." Simply that the number of objectively wrong calls were statistically skewed in Hartley's favor. Fumble where the runner was ruled down. Uncalled late hit on QB, one of which also had an uncalled pass interference on the intended receiver. It adds up. The team that has calls made against them gets demoralized. The team that gets away with stuff pushes the envelope and practically dares the refs to call something.

Eds did it wrong, and that's why they lost the game. You gotta get up by two or three scores to create an insurmountable margin where bad calls won't change the outcome of the game. I think the coaches all know this. I think the OHSAA knows it. And I think that people get subtle pressure to not call it out for what it is. Officiating is terrible, and sometimes one team is impacted by it more than the other. TV and video is making it obvious. And that's why refs are quitting. They're just not that good.
https://ohsaa.org/Officiating/permits/category1

Here is the link to sign up. Since officiating is "terrible" and refs are "just not that good" go ahead and grace the state with your knowledge and impeccable judgement.

Refs are quitting because it is a job for little pay, a lot of time investment, and next to no appreciation. Add in the fact that people love to hop on a message board and slam people for something that they couldn't do themselves, it doesn't make it all that appealing.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:36 pm In the NFL this season, the reversal rate of reviewed plays is hovering right around 34%. NFL. Elite officials. Wrong 1/3 of the time when reviewed. What do you think the high school error rate is? On another discussion board that rhymes with snappy, there are a few high school officials who are active. If you even implied that they *might* be wrong 1/3 of the time, they would blow a gasket. Even though the numbers show that the best officials in the business are wrong that often. Hartley has won two straight playoffs games where I would objectively say that the officiating was biased in their favor. Not because the refs were cheating or "homers." Simply that the number of objectively wrong calls were statistically skewed in Hartley's favor. Fumble where the runner was ruled down. Uncalled late hit on QB, one of which also had an uncalled pass interference on the intended receiver. It adds up. The team that has calls made against them gets demoralized. The team that gets away with stuff pushes the envelope and practically dares the refs to call something.

Reviewed play but what about all other plays? What % of plays are reviewed? 5%? 10% If a game is 100 plays and 10% reviewedthat means about 3 plays a game are called wrong. At 5% it’s 1 or 2 plays.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Crab's Brother wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:06 am https://ohsaa.org/Officiating/permits/category1

Here is the link to sign up. Since officiating is "terrible" and refs are "just not that good" go ahead and grace the state with your knowledge and impeccable judgement.
That's just a cop out to avoid the reality of bad officiating. I'm not looking for perfection; I'm not really expecting them to be good. It's just high school. It's just a hobby for them. And a lot of the rules are vague. I can live with bad judgment calls. Even if they go against my favorite team. The ref on the field is in a better position to make a call than anyone else in the stadium not including a guy reviewing something caught well on camera. I don't boo during games. And I thank them whenever I walk in or out with them. But I'm not going to say that they're all doing a fabulous job when they're not. I bet an average high school football coach can spot 5 wrong calls and 10 missed calls in every game film. Haven't you ever gone home and watched the replay of a game after being there in person? I have. I'm not perfect. Some calls I thought the refs got wrong during the game are clearly the right calls on the replay. But most of the wrong calls are even more obviously wrong when watching it on the TV. Replays are part of the finals this year. In the near future, they'll be a part of all the playoff games. It's an improvement. And if some ref who gets his feelings hurt by the comments of random internet nerds on message boards can't deal with the elevated level of criticism that the camera is going to generate, he or she should just go ahead and quit now. Part of being a ref is understanding and living with the fact that you're going to make mistakes. Everybody does. In everything they do. The best we can do is learn from them and get better. And I believe that most refs do that now. The nice part about the playoffs is that the officiating does get better every week, so whatever OHSAA is doing to differentiate the good ones from the bad ones must be pretty well aligned with my own personal, objective observations.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:49 pm
Crab's Brother wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:06 am https://ohsaa.org/Officiating/permits/category1

That's just a cop out to avoid the reality of bad officiating. I'm not looking for perfection; I'm not really expecting them to be good. It's just high school. It's just a hobby for them. And a lot of the rules are vague. I can live with bad judgment calls. Even if they go against my favorite team. The ref on the field is in a better position to make a call than anyone else in the stadium not including a guy reviewing something caught well on camera. I don't boo during games. And I thank them whenever I walk in or out with them. But I'm not going to say that they're all doing a fabulous job when they're not. I bet an average high school football coach can spot 5 wrong calls and 10 missed calls in every game film. Haven't you ever gone home and watched the replay of a game after being there in person? I have. I'm not perfect. Some calls I thought the refs got wrong during the game are clearly the right calls on the replay. But most of the wrong calls are even more obviously wrong when watching it on the TV. Replays are part of the finals this year. In the near future, they'll be a part of all the playoff games. It's an improvement. And if some ref who gets his feelings hurt by the comments of random internet nerds on message boards can't deal with the elevated level of criticism that the camera is going to generate, he or she should just go ahead and quit now. Part of being a ref is understanding and living with the fact that you're going to make mistakes. Everybody does. In everything they do. The best we can do is learn from them and get better. And I believe that most refs do that now. The nice part about the playoffs is that the officiating does get better every week, so whatever OHSAA is doing to differentiate the good ones from the bad ones must be pretty well aligned with my own personal, objective observations.

Could you please show me what rules are “vague” as you put it? So, you go home and watch replay and you realize that you made the wrong call, but yet you criticize officials because you thought the call was wrong? Got it, makes perfect sense. And if officials miss 15 calls, 5 wrong and 10 missed, well, that’s better than what most coaches do on a given night according to the fans! Same fans that yell at the coach every time a play doesn’t work. That’s still better than the times in a game where the players, miss a block, a signal, or just fail to execute. So by your own words, officials are wrong at most 15 times out of 170-200 plays. I bet players, coaches and fans miss 3x that many assignments during a game.

As for Crab posting where you can become an official, well that’s just a cop out.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I think the cop out has already been said by sapientia et veritas

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:52 amCould you please show me what rules are “vague” as you put it?
Holding and pass interference are subjective judgment calls. Holding could be called on about 50-70% of high school plays. The technique is still a work in progress at best. Most good no-calls are those where the penalty didn't impact the play, but that aspect of enforcement isn't allowed by the rules. Pass interference could be called on 30-50% of pass plays. If often comes down to the degree that the officials want to inject themselves into the game. As long as enforcement is consistent and uniform, both teams can learn and adapt to the conditions on the field.
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:52 amSo by your own words, officials are wrong at most 15 times out of 170-200 plays. I bet players, coaches and fans miss 3x that many assignments during a game.
I'd say that's probably about right. I can't argue with that math, and I'm not making a relativistic argument. And I think you're being too kind to the officials. I'm just stating the fact that high school officials are wrong about 10% of the time. You get what you pay for. Most games it doesn't matter.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:49 pm

Quit your crying already.......

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Orange and Brown wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:07 pmQuit your crying already.......
Crying? LOL. Pickerington and Mentor fans are both having a complete meltdown over the officiating in their game. Mentor fans are crying that Pickerington coach bought refs. Both agree that officiating was terrible though,

Return to “Football”