State Championship 14-0 Kirtland v the 13-1 Ironton Fighting Tigers

caliron
Waterboy

Re: State Championship 14-0 Kirtland v the 13-1 Ironton Fighting Tigers

Post by caliron »

First post. Most posters seem to think this game will be strictly power vs power and nobody is talking about Ironton's passing offense (and defense) which may very well be the difference in the outcome. Kirtland seems like the old Ironton that had a great very disciplined running attack but somewhat ineffective passing game. In many ways, this game is kind of like Old Ironton vs New Ironton.

Go Tigers, watching from California.

frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:45 pm Hey people, READ the title. The name of the school is...………………………………

KIRTLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not Kirkland
You can't stay off an Ironton thread and have nothing to post so you spell check. :lol:

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

A lil FYI for all the posters who have spectrum. If u have a online account with them then u don’t have to pay 10 dollars to watch the game. All u do is sign into ur account on the ohsaa site and u can stream the game on the ohsaa site. I done it for the burg volleyball semifinal game

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

THERE IS A STORM COMING UP 23 NORTH AND YOU SHOULD SEE PATCHY TO HEAVY LOADS OF ORANGE AND BLACK, DO NOT ENGAGE THESE RABID FANS , THEY HAVE ONE THING ON THEIR MIND. A 3RD STATE FOOTBALL TITLE. SO THEY MAY BE IRRITABLE AND DANGEROUS TILL AFTER THE GAME. IT'S CALLED ''IRONTON FIGHTING TIGER NATION BABY''

THE WAY THESE 2 RUN THE BALL YOU BETTER NOT BLINK OR THIS GAME WILL BE OVER. DON'T LOOK FOR A LOT OF CLOCK STOPPAGES AND BALL CARRIERS HEADING OUT OF BOUNDS. THIS IS GONNA BE AN OLE FASHIONED SLOBBERKNOCKER.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Tigeralum71 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:16 am I wonder if Coach Mark Dantonio is allowed by recruiting rules to come to the game Saturday for physical support to one of his old players (coach Pendleton)??
Just being in the stands would be electric..
I don't know any legal reason why he couldn't. be a great place to recruit.
Michigan state always carries a lot of ohioans on their roster.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Does anyone have a score on the Massillon game tonight. Really thought there would be a thread

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

victor creed wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:28 pm Does anyone have a score on the Massillon game tonight. Really thought there would be a thread
La Salle 34 Massillon 17 Final

frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... re-looking

Nice read. 2 of 3 11w writers pick the Tigers.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

The Fighting Tigers had practice at Canton South High School today.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

victor creed wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:28 pm Does anyone have a score on the Massillon game tonight. Really thought there would be a thread
I just finished watching it all games are being aired on spectrum news channel 1 LaSalle 34 to 17 final fun game to watch

Burg grad 85
SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

To be perfectly honest, I viewed this game for most of the week as too close to call, but as the week has gone by and I have really had a chance to compare these two teams, I am confident in my opinion. I see this as a low scoring affair for the majority of the contest, until Irontons size and power starts to wear on the smaller Kirtland.

Ironton 31
Kirtland 17

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

caliron wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:34 pm First post. Most posters seem to think this game will be strictly power vs power and nobody is talking about Ironton's passing offense (and defense) which may very well be the difference in the outcome. Kirtland seems like the old Ironton that had a great very disciplined running attack but somewhat ineffective passing game. In many ways, this game is kind of like Old Ironton vs New Ironton.

Go Tigers, watching from California.
That's pretty fair in my opinion. It looks like Kirtland likes to throw around 3 to 5 tiimes a game, ideally. It will be interesting to see if they have to alter their approach a bit because, I gotta be honest, I do not believe they are more physical, and I do not believe they are faster, and I do not see any depth advantage for Kirtland, and I do believe Ironton enjoys the advantage of size, power and experience. Special teams, I am checking the box for Ironton as well. I think the early framers of this contest had this whole narrative backwards. I think Ironton outmuscles Kirtland.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

Izladoom wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:22 am Kirtland is just a different beast I just don’t see ironton keeping this close they would have to play a perfect game
😂😂😂 what?

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

Ironton 17 Kirtland 7

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

SpeedKillz wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:46 am
Izladoom wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:22 am Kirtland is just a different beast I just don’t see ironton keeping this close they would have to play a perfect game
😂😂😂 what?
I agree with you on this one doom, Kirtland has it in the bag already..

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

i hear kirtland has 5 state championships in the last 10 years and runner up a couple times. they have the experience but are they as hungry as the tigers? we will see. i will say tigers too strong and will bring it home 28-14.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Tigeralum71 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:45 pm From Thurs Dec 5 Cleveland Plan Dealer (Cleveland.com):

Kirtland’s OHSAA state championship return starts at the ‘Church of Iron’

KIRTLAND, Ohio — Ray Sullivan opens Kirtland’s weight room every day. On Sunday mornings, it is the “Church of Iron.”

Sermons this year required extra donations of sweat and effort for what Kirtland needed to replace up front.

Kirtland coach Tiger LaVerde has praised Sullivan, one of his assistants who also is the football program's strength and conditioning coordinator, during many of the Hornets' runs to the state finals. That didn't change this year, as the task increased with Kirtland losing all but two or three starters to graduation and moving up to Division V.

"Our success will have a lot to do with what they did in the offseason, and that had a lot to do with Ray," LaVerde said back in August, unsure of what to expect after last year's undefeated Division VI state championship run.

Yet here is Kirtland (14-0) ready to face Ironton (13-1) at 8 p.m. Saturday in the OHSAA D-V state championship at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton.

The Hornets are smaller. Most of their defenders, outside of senior lineman Mike Alfieri, weigh no more than 200 pounds.

Their competition is bigger, moving up after championship runs in Division VI during 2018, '15 and '13.

And the results have been the same.

Sullivan said 18 players are members of their 900-Pound Club, a max-out test conducted in August of combined bench press, squad and clean lifts. Eighteen made the club last year during Kirtland's state title run, and 18 more this year despite the team being significantly smaller. Only three members of the club weigh at least 200 pounds.

"These kids push for each other," Sullivan said. "They don't just strive for the 900-Pound Club. They push for everybody."

Real Iron Men come from Ironton, Go get 'em TIgers!!
Oh my. Lost all but three starters. That answers my questions. Nobody back from that loaded state title team last year. This could get interesting. Don't know how accurate that 3 kids above 200 is though

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

SATURDAY NIGHT OLE DAD IS WATCHING THE IRONTON ''FIGHTING TIGERS'' PLAY FOR A 3RD STATE FOOTBALL TITLE AGAINST THE KIRTLAND HORNETS, WHILST RECORDING THEE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES IN THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST WISCONSIN. THEN ZIP THROUGH THE OHIO STATE GAME AND BYPASS COMMERCIALS AFTER I WATCH IRONTON. HAIN'T THAT A GRAND PLAN. GO TIGERS AND GO BUCKEYES.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Anyone feel like giving me their Spectrum password in a pm so I can watch the game?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Kirtland is a well oiled machine, there's no disputing that. There's a reason they've made the state championship game 8 out of 9 years (what an unbelievable stat!)

But, Ironton has more talent and is just as physically strong as Kirtland. As long as Ironton limits turnovers I think it ends:

Ironton 24
Kirtland 14

Watching SE Ohio basketball

Return to “Football”