SOC 2 talk. Any surprising teams?

Basketballfan40
Freshman Team

SOC 2 talk. Any surprising teams?

Post by Basketballfan40 »

Assuming football happens, is there any teams that will jump out and surprise us all? Who ya got taking the title this year?

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: SOC 2 talk. Any surprising teams?

Post by wobycat »

Minford will have a couple of playmakers but I wonder about their line and depth.

Burg will be a little better overall this year but won't have the "go to guy"

West is probably a year or two away

Waverly will be like a minford.

Northwest and Oak Hill, Im not sure of.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Basketballfan40 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:03 pm Assuming football happens, is there any teams that will jump out and surprise us all? Who ya got taking the title this year?
In a normal year, the path to the SOC2 Gold Football runs through Wheelersburg. Everyone else competes for second place. 2020, if played, should be no different, but I wonder if the disruptions due to the contagion might cause the Burg juggernaut a hiccup or two. Given they have not lost a conference game since 2013, that is doubtful.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

wobycat wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:20 pm Minford will have a couple of playmakers but I wonder about their line and depth.

I thought northwest was still in the SOC I for football?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Tartanblue wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:08 pm
wobycat wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:20 pm Minford will have a couple of playmakers but I wonder about their line and depth.

They were supposed to move up I thought

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

wobycat wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:08 pm
Tartanblue wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:08 pm

They were supposed to move up I thought
Still in SOC 1.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Burg then Waverly the rest is a toss up.

Larry Fine
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Fine »

Burg won’t be better

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Larry Fine wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:07 pm

Burg won’t be better
Yes, They will.

Larry Fine
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Fine »

wobycat wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:15 pm

Burg won’t be better
Yes, They will.
We’ll see. You lost a legit playmaker, actually 2 playmakers.

Basketballfan40
Freshman Team

Post by Basketballfan40 »

I personally think that teams are pretty even this year but Waverly would be my favorite. They have the best Playmakers in Futhey, with Shanks throwing him the ball. Gonna be an interesting year to say the least.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Larry Fine wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:27 pm

Burg won’t be better
Yes, They will.
Burg might not have a Mathews this year but they will have more playmakers this year than last year
Burgs offense was very limited last year

Larry Fine
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Fine »

fbnut wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:19 pm

Yes, They will.
Burg might not have a Mathews this year but they will have more playmakers this year than last year
That makes no sense. They may have 6 guys who can make plays but none as good as Mathews. So which one of those players are more dangerous with the ball than Mathews?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Larry Fine wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:46 pm
fbnut wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:19 pm

That makes no sense. They may have 6 guys who can make plays but none as good as Mathews. So which one of those players are more dangerous with the ball than Mathews?
Sorry you didn’t understand

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Waverly returns the most talent. It's theirs to loose.

Wheelersburg lost alot. 4 linemen, Horsely, and Mathews. I believe Miller goes to quarterback and Swords to tailback and run a more traditional offense. They will always be competitive but their talent level isn't what it has been.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Westfan wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:36 am Waverly returns the most talent. It's theirs to loose.

Wheelersburg lost alot. 4 linemen, Horsely, and Mathews. I believe Miller goes to quarterback and Swords to tailback and run a more traditional offense. They will always be competitive but their talent level isn't what it has been.
Waverly had their best team last year and didn’t pull it off. Burg will be better this year. I’ve been around the program a long time. Last year’s team outside of Matthews wasn’t a very good team. Their other best player left and horsley was hurt. I agree Waverly is the best equipped to take burg but until they do, it’s burg

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

wobycat wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:59 am
Waverly had their best team last year and didn’t pull it off. Burg will be better this year. I’ve been around the program a long time. Last year’s team outside of Matthews wasn’t a very good team. Their other best player left and horsley was hurt. I agree Waverly is the best equipped to take burg but until they do, it’s burg
Everyone has an opinion. Waverly has a college quarterback who was probably 60% last year because he had no mobility, a possible D1 reciever, and several other athletes.

Who are these players who are gonna be better for Wheelersburg? They had the one running back that got hurt who is supposed to be pretty good and Miller was hurt. For the last 3 years you had to know where Holden and Mathews were and skeem accordingly because they were the best players on the field. Horsley was a very underrated player.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Westfan wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:37 pm
Everyone has an opinion. Waverly has a college quarterback who was probably 60% last year because he had no mobility, a possible D1 reciever, and several other athletes.

Who are these players who are gonna be better for Wheelersburg? They had the one running back that got hurt who is supposed to be pretty good and Miller was hurt. For the last 3 years you had to know where Holden and Mathews were and skeem accordingly because they were the best players on the field. Horsley was a very underrated player.
I like Miller to fill Mathews spot, I think sanderlin will be qb and that position will be better than last. He is only a sophomore but if not this year in the future the kid is going to be a beast. Nunley, swords and williams will all see time in backfield. Arthur is going to be a playmaker. May be 1-2 other sophomores see some playing time at skill positions.
Just a fans opinion

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Westfan wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:37 pm

I said They will be better overall. It’s hard to replace Matthews and Holden, I agree. As far as Waverly, yes they have a great QB and a legit receiver but they took a hit on their line and until they can prove they can defend burg, then I’m going with burg.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Waverly and Burg should be neck and neck this year both teams have to replace stellar backs but Waverly loses the least amount of talent overall and will have a QB, assuming something doesn't happen, will be playing fully healthy. Not sure how anyone can say Waverly had their "best" team when you have a QB playing on a torn ACL so that will factor in as well. Minford lost some talent but they do return some talent and should be in the mix but I think they're further away from the title this year compared to what they had last year. Someone no one has mentioned and I don't know a lot about them is Oak Hill they competed well in a down year with a new coach as well, let's not forget they were the #3 team outright in the conference last year. Look for West to still be a bit to young and I'm not sure about what Valley has believe they have to replace some skilled players once again. Overall look for it to be similar to last year, Burg or Waverly as the 1-2 and Minford or Oak Hill for 3-4 and West and Valley for 5-6.

Return to “Football”