Chaos In Ohio Football...Season On The Brink

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Chaos In Ohio Football...Season On The Brink

Post by wobycat »

Omega wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:34 pm
Syntax wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:47 am Dewine/ Husted Press Conference at 2pm today.
Apparently nothing definitive about hs sports today. Perhaps tomorrow?
Probably won't get an approval until 2025

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Everyone has the right to live our lives , if you don’t want to wear a mask or people don’t want to wear a mask, you all should stay home and not spread the virus to all the people that is doing the right thing. wear a mask, social distance, wash hands. It’s really sad people talk about people dying in such callous ways on here, for what sports, that’s all that matters evidently even over people’s lives. sad commentary

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Prime Time wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:41 pm Everyone has the right to live our lives , if you don’t want to wear a mask or people don’t want to wear a mask, you all should stay home and not spread the virus to all the people that is doing the right thing. wear a mask, social distance, wash hands. It’s really sad people talk about people dying in such callous ways on here, for what sports, that’s all that matters evidently even over people’s lives. sad commentary
Then YOU stay at home. Lock yourself in your basement.

If you have kids and dont want them to play sports then YOU keep them at home too. How effing hard is that? Get your nose out of other people's business and YOU worry about YOU.

Seems very simple. Not everyone is a scared puppet concerning what is going on because we understand how to read the accurate numbers.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Omega wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:34 pm
Syntax wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:47 am Dewine/ Husted Press Conference at 2pm today.
Apparently nothing definitive about hs sports today. Perhaps tomorrow?
He has been skipping fridays and Monday’s and doing tues- thurs pressers. A answer needs to happen like yesterday.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
toast
All State

Post by toast »

How can you take what DeWine just said as anything but, We are going to have a football season! Left up to schools, parents and there will be a restriction on the number of fans.

It's a go! Details coming Tuesday.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Gov DeWine said they will be coming up with a plan and make an announcement on fan participation on Tuesday

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

mglight88 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:08 pm Gov DeWine said they will be coming up with a plan and make an announcement on fan participation on Tuesday
I can just imagine that circus. Many stadiums hold more than others - can’t be a cookie cutter number...

toast
All State

Post by toast »

mglight88 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:08 pm Gov DeWine said they will be coming up with a plan and make an announcement on fan participation on Tuesday
I believe he said they will a be restriction on the number of fans. Some fans will be allowed. Percentage, raw number....who knows.

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

Dewine and Husted have always wanted football. They will let it happen. Now the question will be, what hoops will Ohio Department of health make them go through. Remember, the testing is still in there. As much as Dewine wants football, if ODH still has testing at the level it is now, no football. For the kids sake, lets hope Dewine has enough pull to remove the testing.

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

Dewine also said he is going to speak with football coaches before next Tuesday too. Hope that helps too.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

6 game schedule was a Plea Bargain with the Governor.
Also, helps OHSAA make up some money they lost from the Basketball State Tournaments and Spring State Tournaments.'

I am just glad the kids will get to play some after what happened in the spring.

Beergogglebluez
SE

indianabuck wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:09 pm Dewine and Husted have always wanted football. They will let it happen. Now the question will be, what hoops will Ohio Department of health make them go through. Remember, the testing is still in there. As much as Dewine wants football, if ODH still has testing at the level it is now, no football. For the kids sake, lets hope Dewine has enough pull to remove the testing.
Hopefully instead of mandatory they go to randomly testing a kid or coach.

Beergogglebluez
SE

petesweaty wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:16 pm 6 game schedule was a Plea Bargain with the Governor.
Also, helps OHSAA make up some money they lost from the Basketball State Tournaments and Spring State Tournaments.'

I am just glad the kids will get to play some after what happened in the spring.
My son was a senior last year and missed baseball. What killed him was the state powerlifting meet being cancelled he put in so much work, cut weight, to see him sad tore me up as a parent. I felt so bad for him.

Thanos
Freshman Team

Post by Thanos »

wobycat wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:27 am
Thanos wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:42 am I do not think it is that I just believe a certain set of people are trying to plan for the worse, and hoping for the best. Just a crazy time, with fickle leadership. Either way these boys need to play. Most have been putting in the work all their lives for this opportunity. Imagine looking into a senior's eyes that has been waiting his time to play QB for his school, and the time that he does the season is canceled. Thinking about it is nauseating, and quite frankly depressing. I am a firm believer, that if WE would have done what we needed to as a society during the months of April and May this wouldn't be an issue. Then add the protesting, all equals a recipe for disaster and depression. Let's not forget, STURGIS biker rally is going on for two weeks. I predict another surge in the next few weeks due to that rally as well.
None of that stuff means anything. Why people believe that this will magically go away with social distancing isn't thinking clearly. There will be flare ups. What are we going to do? Stay in the house forever?

I say this.... If you deem teachers as essential workers, shouldn't their pay reflect that? We already ask teachers to do so much in schools. counselors, care givers, costodians, mental health experts, behavioral health experts etc, and now most teachers will assess kids during 1st period. When do we say as society teachers ( most are coaches) deserver to be paid better than what they are currently being paid. If teachers are essietnal for the future, than why are WE NOT PAYING THEM AS SUCH? Food for thought. Tough to tell ppl to risk your lives and your families's lives for the salary they get currently.

Thanos
Freshman Team

Post by Thanos »

Bleeding Red wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:31 pm
Thanos wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:42 am I do not think it is that I just believe a certain set of people are trying to plan for the worse, and hoping for the best. Just a crazy time, with fickle leadership. Either way these boys need to play. Most have been putting in the work all their lives for this opportunity. Imagine looking into a senior's eyes that has been waiting his time to play QB for his school, and the time that he does the season is canceled. Thinking about it is nauseating, and quite frankly depressing. I am a firm believer, that if WE would have done what we needed to as a society during the months of April and May this wouldn't be an issue. Then add the protesting, all equals a recipe for disaster and depression. Let's not forget, STURGIS biker rally is going on for two weeks. I predict another surge in the next few weeks due to that rally as well.
None of that stuff means anything. Why people believe that this will magically go away with social distancing isn't thinking clearly. There will be flare ups. What are we going to do? Stay in the house forever?
As I have said all along- there is no CURE for a virus. There is no vaccine you can take that guarantees you will not get it. Everyone will get this at some point in time and many have already had it (and dont even know it because the symptoms in many are that minor).

People who are scared, highly susceptible, etc., should stay home. The rest of us have a right to live our lives outside this fabricated bubble of fear that is being spewed at us from people behind their agendas.

"Those who live in fear have already died".

My question to you is this..... If in five years, people find out their hearts were severely damaged due to getting covid ( even if there is no symptoms). Would you be willing to pay extra in your tax dollars for your local school to pay attorney fees and settlement fees five years down the road? The aspect no one is talking about on this forum is SCIENTIFIC METHOD! We do not know anything about this virus, and we are seeing 9th grade science play out in front of our eyes. Most of us will say, " see they do not know what they are talking about" However, this is all based on science, and the sciencfitc method. What you are saying seems rational now.... But what if five kids on your local team get covid, and recover... then five years they find out there heart is all torn up because of Covid??? I will tell ya, that is why the BIG TEN AND PAC 12 closed down shop. WE all want football now... but at what cost... are you willing to pay outrageous taxes down the road because your school has multiple law suits based on covid from the 2020 season in 2026??? I understand the virus isn't a big deal in SEO.... But what if it does go thru small communities like Albany, Gallia, Pomeroy.... Can those communities recover?

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Possibly a good sign that football will happen this fall with the Gov. comments today. But until that first snap happens on week 1, I will remain skeptical. The ODH has to remove the testing stipulation or all of this will never work. If a player or coach does test positive during the season, they cannot shut down the entire program. Priority #1 is obviously getting the kids on the field and able to play. But the fan restriction is going to be a difficult thing to deal with in a lot of ways. Will be curious to see how they lay out a plan for who can attend and the max amount allowed in. Are they going to give players 2 tickets for parents, where this may put the kids in a position where they must choose who can watch them play and who can’t? If you are playing in a stadium that has a large seating area, will more tickets be given out to the general public? Who will he enforcing these restrictions at every game?

Like I said, most important thing is letting the kids play. But in High School football, the community and environment play such a big role in making Friday Nights so special. Nothing is normal right now, but it’s hard to justify only allowing potentially 15% of a stadiums capacity into a game when some of these schools are going back fully to school, when we can go to work and be in close quarters with others 8+ hours a day, when there were no restrictions on protesters who were chest to chest. I just believe more people then what I think they will allow to attend could do so safely.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Thanos wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:54 pm

As I have said all along- there is no CURE for a virus. There is no vaccine you can take that guarantees you will not get it. Everyone will get this at some point in time and many have already had it (and dont even know it because the symptoms in many are that minor).

People who are scared, highly susceptible, etc., should stay home. The rest of us have a right to live our lives outside this fabricated bubble of fear that is being spewed at us from people behind their agendas.

My question to you is this..... If in five years, people find out their hearts were severely damaged due to getting covid ( even if there is no symptoms). Would you be willing to pay extra in your tax dollars for your local school to pay attorney fees and settlement fees five years down the road? The aspect no one is talking about on this forum is SCIENTIFIC METHOD! We do not know anything about this virus, and we are seeing 9th grade science play out in front of our eyes. Most of us will say, " see they do not know what they are talking about" However, this is all based on science, and the sciencfitc method. What you are saying seems rational now.... But what if five kids on your local team get covid, and recover... then five years they find out there heart is all torn up because of Covid??? I will tell ya, that is why the BIG TEN AND PAC 12 closed down shop. WE all want football now... but at what cost... are you willing to pay outrageous taxes down the road because your school has multiple law suits based on covid from the 2020 season in 2026??? I understand the virus isn't a big deal in SEO.... But what if it does go thru small communities like Albany, Gallia, Pomeroy.... Can those communities recover?
If there is long term damage, it's there with or without football big guy.

JWICK24
Waterboy

Post by JWICK24 »

Bleeding Red wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:00 pm

Most people that get myocarditis recover without any issue. They could also get myocarditis from the common cold or flu. The worry would be the kids having myocarditis and performing physical activity without knowing and then damage being caused that is severe. Why can’t their be a protocol in place that an athlete must get cleared or check for possible heart issues before returning to play. This is the protocol that the college conferences still planning on playing have put it place. Athletes that get covid must get blood work done and get a heart echo to verify they don’t have heart issues and then can return. Where a child gets it from playing for a school team or just being out in the community doesn’t change the chances of getting myocarditis from the virus. But they have a better chance of catching the heart issues if they are playing sports and must be checked out and cleared by doctor before returning to play.

They are calling the myocarditis an athlete problem with covid, when it’s something that happens in anyone with covid, because myocarditis is a possible side effect of any virus and even most vaccines. But like other injuries we can require the student to be fully cleared by a doctor before returning to play.

You could have a student that doesn’t play sports, get covid and develop myocarditis and they wouldn’t know, then they could go to do an activity that stresses their heart and causes issues. Where as if they played a sport and when to get fully cleared by a doctor before returning, the issue would have been addressed and they would take care of the issue.

Thanos
Freshman Team

Post by Thanos »

Absolutely; however, those injuries are singular. If someone gets covid, it could ravish an entire family. There are multiple stories of families that were destroyed from covid. Look I want football just like everyone else Mr. Big Guy, but I also don't want my nephew coming to a family function and giving it to my mother ( His grandmother) or my children.
Now lets address your "Big guy" comment. Why immediately did you take it that route? Was my opinion too different than your opinion that made you go that route. That is the problem with this country, people all of a sudden can't disagree. I WANT THEM TO PLAY! I BELIEVE THEY SHOULD PLAY! But the data does not support high school football. If Ohio football can happen, than the Buckeyes should be playing in the fall. I am not looking for you insults by simply stating my opinion. Do not be that guy, and just communicate. #letthemplay #DONOTBETHATGUY

JWICK24
Waterboy

Post by JWICK24 »

Thanos wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:25 pm

Absolutely; however, those injuries are singular. If someone gets covid, it could ravish an entire family. There are multiple stories of families that were destroyed from covid. Look I want football just like everyone else Mr. Big Guy, but I also don't want my nephew coming to a family function and giving it to my mother ( His grandmother) or my children.
Now lets address your "Big guy" comment. Why immediately did you take it that route? Was my opinion too different than your opinion that made you go that route. That is the problem with this country, people all of a sudden can't disagree. I WANT THEM TO PLAY! I BELIEVE THEY SHOULD PLAY! But the data does not support high school football. If Ohio football can happen, than the Buckeyes should be playing in the fall. I am not looking for you insults by simply stating my opinion. Do not be that guy, and just communicate. #letthemplay #DONOTBETHATGUY
They could give it to their family. They could get it out at the store or gas station just as easily and give to the rest of the family. I just feel it should be individuals choices. If you want to play and understand the risks then play. If your afraid of what may happen then keep your kids out of sports, school and inside at all times. Or wherever you feel they are safe. I’m not being rude or anything. I just feel their are ways we can do things as safe as possible if people choose to accept possible risks. This virus may never go away. We can’t stop living are lives. The flu vaccine is only 50-65% effective and there is only like 1 vaccine over 90% effective and its for the measles. We may simply have to accept possible risks and live our lives.

Return to “Football”