Can the Ironton JV Finish out the rest of the OVC Schedule?

I-TownFanatic
Freshman Team

Can the Ironton JV Finish out the rest of the OVC Schedule?

Post by I-TownFanatic »

Real question? Can the Ironton JV play the rest of the season vs. the OVC varsity and the Varsity get some games during the week against some big schools up north? I think it would be best for Ironton and the OVC. Kids are going to get hurt if they don't make the change.

Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Re: Can the Ironton JV Finish out the rest of the OVC Schedule?

Post by Tommy Chong »

Ironton is way too strong for OVC and SOC

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Story I heard was Ironton asked for OVC to let them opt out and play a non-league schedule and the vote was unanimously declined. Ironton not going to pull many punches if that’s the case, but you gotta wonder how they’ll respond first tough game they get into come playoff time*

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

art_vandelay wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:35 pm Story I heard was Ironton asked for OVC to let them opt out and play a non-league schedule and the vote was unanimously declined. Ironton not going to pull many punches if that’s the case, but you gotta wonder how they’ll respond first tough game they get into come playoff time*
This is what worries me a little bit

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Yeah this is a bad situation for everyone.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Ironton will be ready for the playoffs though.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I-TownFanatic wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:08 pm Real question? Can the Ironton JV play the rest of the season vs. the OVC varsity and the Varsity get some games during the week against some big schools up north? I think it would be best for Ironton and the OVC. Kids are going to get hurt if they don't make the change.
...and play who, exactly? LOL

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

I don't see what motive their would be for not allowing them to opt out. We could still allow a 6 game schedule with them gone. I think it's more likely it was just too hard for them to find 6 in state non league games in a weird year like this. Now if they wanted to play 3 or 4 league games and 2 or 3 non league and it was going to screw the schedule up I could see other schools being against it. I also don't think they had the hammer down against Portsmouth. They could have probably scored 80 or more but they let up in the 3rd quarter.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ironton doesn’t need to get out of ovc. Geez. They have a great team right now but let’s face it, this group of seniors have been good since junior high. Let’s not get carried away. Right now, it is what it is. They are just above the other teams. Next year probably is a different team. They will be good but will they be the caliber where they are now? Good chance they won’t. The freshman team had to cancel against burg this week. The ovc isn’t a football conference, I agree, but there’s no other place they can go and they don’t want to become independent.

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

The Sophomore class is deeper than this Senior class so they will be just as dangerous if not more so. The Sophomore skill positions will have the benefit of this nearly all Junior line next year which is scary. The OVC will be fairly competitive again once Ironton’s Freshman class becomes Seniors. They were 3-4 or 4-3 in 8th grade OVC play last year.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

This topic is the OP's thinly veiled attempt to proclaim Ironton football superior in all things when compared to their conference brethren. We get it. Their coach is the second coming of Knute Rockne, Vince Lombardi, and Bob Lutz rolled into one. One half of their roster is getting D1 offers and the rest are getting looks . There are rumors that the water boys will walk on at Mt. Union. Even their playing field is superior as evidenced by Tank Stadium being on the National Historical Register. And yes, the Tiger JV likely would win the remaining varsity games on the regular season schedule. Simply put Ironton is grown men playing against boys.

As to the the future of Ironton in the OVC, they need to leave if their goal is to compete for a state championship in football every year. Let them play an independent schedule in all sports so football will have adequate challenges. And the OVC does not owe Ironton any accommodation for other sports.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

GoBigI wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:08 am The Sophomore class is deeper than this Senior class so they will be just as dangerous if not more so. The Sophomore skill positions will have the benefit of this nearly all Junior line next year which is scary. The OVC will be fairly competitive again once Ironton’s Freshman class becomes Seniors. They were 3-4 or 4-3 in 8th grade OVC play last year.
Those sophomores got beat by burg in 8th grade.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

We’ve added a few since then. :D

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

artisgilmore wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:14 pm We’ve added a few since then. :D
Wouldn’t doubt it. Masters shouldn’t be eligible unless he moved into ironton but I’m about 100 percent that’s not true.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:54 am Ironton doesn’t need to get out of ovc. Geez. They have a great team right now but let’s face it, this group of seniors have been good since junior high. Let’s not get carried away. Right now, it is what it is. They are just above the other teams. Next year probably is a different team. They will be good but will they be the caliber where they are now? Good chance they won’t. The freshman team had to cancel against burg this week. The ovc isn’t a football conference, I agree, but there’s no other place they can go and they don’t want to become independent.
What I was referring to above about Ironton wanting to “opt out” of OVC schedule was for this year only. From what I hear, junior high numbers/talent are low for their standards and have heard freshman class is pretty average as well. It’s Ironton...they’ll still be solid going forward, but last year and this year may be their State champ caliber cycle that comes along every 10 years or so*

pistol
Freshman Team

Post by pistol »

wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:26 pm
Wouldn’t doubt it. Masters shouldn’t be eligible unless he moved into ironton but I’m about 100 percent that’s not true.
Where’s he from? Good looking player

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

Hey wobble,wah wah :D

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

pistol wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:18 pm
wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:26 pm
Where’s he from? Good looking player
Burg

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Ironton JV (3-0)

Jackson ———-— 12-0
Portsmouth ——- 36-8
New Lexington - 38-0

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

So they were pretty confident they were gonna put together 6 games in such a small time frame w so much uncertainty? I call bs. Small town rumor. That's all gas.

The current schedule doesn't do em any favors. A change or two & it would have been decent. Keep Burg, Ashland ( this group of Ironton seniors is 0 - 3 against em right?) Keep Gallia, add Jackson & Waverly & keep Portsmouth cause. Solid 6 game schedule. It is what it is. Handle biz and get ready for the post season.

Return to “Football”