HANG ON! OHSAA To Move State Football Championships To Massillon

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Re: HANG ON! OHSAA To Move State Football Championships To Massillon

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Kirtland80 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:40 pm
SpeedKillz wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:17 pm
Kirtland80 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:18 pm

Talk to OHSAA. We will come wherever
Oh I know Kirtland will travel. ( Ironton & Kirtland should schedule at least one home & away series for reg season just cause) but as far as ohssa is concerned, the SEO teams get zero respect. More travel. More cost. Visible bias.
That would be fun. I’d love to follow them down and come check out the tank that I here so much about
I would love to see a burg - kirtland series as well

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
BuckeyeBond
Riding the Bench

Post by BuckeyeBond »

Why not just play the remaining state title games at Ohio Wesleyan’s Selby Stadium. It’s more than big enough
And it’s centrally located. This stadium has hosted some pretty big D-1 playoff games in the past. This choice would have been the most fair & this is in Delaware county. I just don’t understand the OSHAA sometimes. All the OWU games have been cancelled this season so this would have worked.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

BuckeyeBond wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:13 pm Why not just play the remaining state title games at Ohio Wesleyan’s Selby Stadium. It’s more than big enough
And it’s centrally located. This stadium has hosted some pretty big D-1 playoff games in the past. This choice would have been the most fair & this is in Delaware county. I just don’t understand the OSHAA sometimes. All the OWU games have been cancelled this season so this would have worked.
OWU isn’t allowing outside groups on campus for events, per Pol pot.

Selby would’ve been otherwise great. Although their parking is really bad.

BuckeyeBond
Riding the Bench

Post by BuckeyeBond »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:19 pm
BuckeyeBond wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:13 pm Why not just play the remaining state title games at Ohio Wesleyan’s Selby Stadium. It’s more than big enough

Well that stinks!! I didn’t realize OWU wasn’t allowing outside groups in for events. Although the parking at OWU isn’t the best, it’s still a pretty neat old stadium centrally located that would have been perfect for the OSHAA to host the titles games in this crazy year. Especially with only 1,500 people allowed.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

BuckeyeBond wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:26 pm

Well that stinks!! I didn’t realize OWU wasn’t allowing outside groups in for events. Although the parking at OWU isn’t the best, it’s still a pretty neat old stadium centrally located that would have been perfect for the OSHAA to host the titles games in this crazy year. Especially with only 1,500 people allowed.
I agree. Selby is great. I have some pretty good memories there!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

SpeedKillz wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:28 pm I was curious. Kinda almost sounds like another anti catholic slur. Sure hope not. S/E Ohio could do without more bigotry. They already have enough to last a life time.
They took a knee for the national anthem. You guys are always behind the news cycle

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:55 pm

Oh I know Kirtland will travel. ( Ironton & Kirtland should schedule at least one home & away series for reg season just cause) but as far as ohssa is concerned, the SEO teams get zero respect. More travel. More cost. Visible bias.
That would be fun. I’d love to follow them down and come check out the tank that I here so much about
I’ve heard about their stadium too. Burg travels really well. I was at the 2017 championship game and there probably wasn’t a person left in Wheelersburg. That would be fun too

6O HORN3TS 🐝
BuckeyeBond
Riding the Bench

Post by BuckeyeBond »

I know the boys will play anywhere, I just don’t like the fact Ironton will now travel 234miles to Kirtlands 71. When I heard they were gonna be moved I was hoping it was gonna be Selby Stadium because of the location. Why anyone expect anything less in 2020 lol. Safe travels to all attending the games.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

Orestes' wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:34 pm

The Massillon folks take care of the OHSAA folks pretty well. I'm friends with a couple of those guys and they love it when the games are hosted there and in Canton. The added bonus, according to them, is it's "a weekend away from the Mrs." LOL When the games are in central Ohio they don't have an excuse to stay in a hotel so they have to go back to the wife. LOL
Well, I dunno about any of that BUT I guess its comforting that someone is gettin comped. Smh.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

SpeedKillz wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:58 pm

Ridiculous location. Why not switch it up and move the games to Jackson?

Perish the thought of NEO teams traveling. Smh
Agree with that wholeheartedly and that's been the case for decades in football. I have no problem on the basketball or baseball side of things as both have been centrally located as it should be.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Kirtland80 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:45 pm

I’ve heard about their stadium too. Burg travels really well. I was at the 2017 championship game and there probably wasn’t a person left in Wheelersburg. That would be fun too
There might have been a few people left lol

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
henrysteele
JV Team

Post by henrysteele »

It seems probable that Massillon offered free usage of their stadium. Most schools would do so in order for their team to play at home for a state title.

OHSAA makes more money. Massillon gets a real edge on a state title for their school. A win-win. LOL

Not sure why Ironton has agreed to this. Expenses for Ironton go up significantly. Ironton's band is now staying home. Kirtland saves money, and their kids can sleep in on Saturday.

Will Ironton be forced to leave very early on Saturday morning, ride more than 4 hours on a bus, and then march out to play? Where does Ironton find money for a hotel? Could they even find a hotel at this point?

"OHSAA sucks!" I hope the few Ironton fans allowed in shout that throughout the game.

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:49 pm
Kirtland80 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:45 pm

There might have been a few people left lol
There was A LOT there! I think the announcer even commented on it. Great to see a turnout like that for a team 4 hours or so away

6O HORN3TS 🐝
Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Kirtland80 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:19 pm
Beergogglebluez wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:16 pm darn. I had a ticket for the kirtland and ironton game. Living in Portsmouth I’m not making that drive. The decision makes no sense.
It’s because Franklin county officials issued a stay at home order starting 6 pm tomorrow I believe lasting what I read was 28 days
Hold on here just a minute. I'm not playing semantics. Franklin county officials issued an "advisory", not an order. This is the biggest bunch of BS I think I have ever witnessed out of the OHSAA. One day before the games begin, and now you shift them 120 miles north to another site, with the teams having already made hotel arrangements for family, etc? What a f'n disaster this is going to be. Way too much politicking and back scratching going on here. Bullshit.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

henrysteele wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:00 pm It seems probable that Massillon offered free usage of their stadium. Most schools would do so in order for their team to play at home for a state title.

OHSAA makes more money. Massillon gets a real edge on a state title for their school. A win-win. LOL

Not sure why Ironton has agreed to this. Expenses for Ironton go up significantly. Ironton's band is now staying home. Kirtland saves money, and their kids can sleep in on Saturday.

Will Ironton be forced to leave very early on Saturday morning, ride more than 4 hours on a bus, and then march out to play? Where does Ironton find money for a hotel? Could they even find a hotel at this point?

"OHSAA sucks!" I hope the few Ironton fans allowed in shout that throughout the game.
Good post. (48 hr notice, long drive for early game, no band now ?, hotels ?) I wish the Tigers the best in this one. "Git'er done "

Superman
JV Team

Post by Superman »

Kicker. wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:41 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:37 pm
SpeedKillz wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:29 pm

So they exercised their constitutional right and didnt use an object as a prop?

How awful. 😂

Good for them. Great program. Great buncha kids at Pick Central.
This hornets’ nest got kicked on Yappi, but I will say as someone who lives there (my house is also in the PC attendance zone) that I definitely stand behind the kids even if I don’t necessarily agree with them kneeling. Who are we to judge, after all? Especially given that many of them likely grew up with life experiences different from me.
This. This is the post. Your life is completely different to those that are currently enduring and everything is different the times have changed, is about respecting their decisions and understanding rather than ridiculing. While some may disagree understand that’s what you think and they think the opposite. No need to put them down for having a difference of opinion
They had every right to kneel. St. X had every right to curb stomp them. We have every right to mock them for getting curb stomped.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:43 pm

Agree with that wholeheartedly and that's been the case for decades in football. I have no problem on the basketball or baseball side of things as both have been centrally located as it should be.
Point of interest: Just a few days ago Ironton football per social media announced that they STILL needed more funds for the state title trip. This was when it was STILL scheduled in Columbus. Just a few days ago matter fact.

So I have a question. With that said, how was it managed so quickly per the sudden change? And per the yes to new location? Note: no bands were traveling w to either location. They were trying to generate more funds per cbus trip. I'm sorta interested how more cost was absorbed so quickly? And this is my point. The answer is some folks are gonna have to step up and come outta pocket and while that is generous, it is in my opinion, pretty fuckin disrespectful of SEO, the schools, programs, players, staff, parents, admin, as well as the communities given socio economic reality. It's really a big "you don't really matter in this decision" if you ask me.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

SpeedKillz wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:29 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:43 pm

Point of interest: Just a few days ago Ironton football per social media announced that they STILL needed more funds for the state title trip. This was when it was STILL scheduled in Columbus. Just a few days ago matter fact.

So I have a question. With that said, how was it managed so quickly per the sudden change? And per the yes to new location? Note: no bands were traveling w to either location. They were trying to generate more funds per cbus trip. I'm sorta interested how more cost was absorbed so quickly? And this is my point. The answer is some folks are gonna have to step up and come outta pocket and while that is generous, it is in my opinion, pretty fuckin disrespectful of SEO, the schools, programs, players, staff, parents, admin, as well as the communities given socio economic reality. It's really a big "you don't really matter in this decision" if you ask me.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1605832241620.jpg

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Steely Dan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:10 pm
Beergogglebluez wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:16 pm darn. I had a ticket for the kirtland and ironton game. Living in Portsmouth I’m not making that drive. The decision makes no sense.
It’s because Franklin county officials issued a stay at home order starting 6 pm tomorrow I believe lasting what I read was 28 days
Hold on here just a minute. I'm not playing semantics. Franklin county officials issued an "advisory", not an order. This is the biggest bunch of BS I think I have ever witnessed out of the OHSAA. One day before the games begin, and now you shift them 120 miles north to another site, with the teams having already made hotel arrangements for family, etc? What a f'n disaster this is going to be. Way too much politicking and back scratching going on here. Bullshit.
I almost always agree with your posts Steely and this is spot on also......and as I told Kirtland80 on another post earlier that even with that 6 pm mandate, it would be enforced as much a fine for littering or parking in a disabled parking space here in Franklin county. :D

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:34 pm
Steely Dan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:10 pm

I almost always agree with your posts Steely and this is spot on also......and as I told Kirtland80 on another post earlier that even with that 6 pm mandate, it would be enforced as much a fine for littering or parking in a disabled parking space here in Franklin county. :D
Kinda unrealistic to decide to "risk it" and have it anyway folks. Ya not sneakin in Cousin Earl & Auntie Betsies pool. lol

Solution woulda been to find a more equitable location. Simple as that. Can't tell me that wasnt possible. Smh

Return to “Football”