Ironton @ Coal Grove

Fan Friday
Freshman Team

Re: Ironton @ Coal Grove

Post by Fan Friday »

RiverRatRay wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:38 pm Coach Lutz was team manager on our basketball team when I was in high school. I followed him when he relieved Coach Sheriden at St Joe and then when Coach Burcham hired him at Ironton. He was a great coach without a doubt. That was then and this is now. Coach Pendleton is playing with the cards he has been dealt and doing a fantastic job. Anyone with any football knowledge knows that and I don't need to reiterate that to anyone. With that said I will end this this with a simple Go Tigers!
What do you mean by, the cards he’s been dealt? Just curious.

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

RiverRatRay wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:38 pm Coach Lutz was team manager on our basketball team when I was in high school. I followed him when he relieved Coach Sheriden at St Joe and then when Coach Burcham hired him at Ironton. He was a great coach without a doubt. That was then and this is now. Coach Pendleton is playing with the cards he has been dealt and doing a fantastic job. Anyone with any football knowledge knows that and I don't need to reiterate that to anyone. With that said I will end this this with a simple Go Tigers!
Not too bad to be a former team manager. 😂 Then to become one of the greatest Ohio football coaches of all time.

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

Fan Friday wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:23 pm
I’m curious what he means too? Not many people get their first head coaching job with all the talent he has had not to mention an all American on his team. Go Tigers!

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

Hey Hornets! Watcha going to do when the Tigers stroll in the Grove on the Tiger Pride bus for some Friday night Foooooooootball!

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

TigerMania wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:02 pm
I’m curious what he means too? Not many people get their first head coaching job with all the talent he has had not to mention an all American on his team. Go Tigers!
Talent???

The program was in the worst shape it’s been in 50 years when he took over. All this talent??? We lost to Fairland, Coal Grove ( BAD) Gallia and Portsmouth. We finished 4th in OVC. Kids were leaving and many including the All American was on his way out the door. That All American you speak of never played LB in his life til Hs. So someone developed him? Ex Staff member/ wife should see that.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

When Coach Lutz took over he took over for a hall of famer named Bob Bruney who rebuilt Ironton. Coach Bruney left for Martins Ferry after going 9-1 in 1971. During those days the population of the city was much larger. A lot of work in this area for families. More kids were playing football as each part of town had its own youth league team. Coach Pendelton wasn’t necessarily left those same luxuries. Needless to say Coach Lutz did a great job and stamped his name in history as a legend in coaching world. What current coach and staff are doing is as equal or more impressive than Coach Lutz first 4 years at the helm.

frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

XandOs wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:18 pm When Coach Lutz took over he took over for a hall of famer named Bob Bruney who rebuilt Ironton. Coach Bruney left for Martins Ferry after going 9-1 in 1971. During those days the population of the city was much larger. A lot of work in this area for families. More kids were playing football as each part of town had its own youth league team. Coach Pendelton wasn’t necessarily left those same luxuries. Needless to say Coach Lutz did a great job and stamped his name in history as a legend in coaching world. What current coach and staff are doing is as equal or more impressive than Coach Lutz first 4 years at the helm.
Lutz got the Ironton job after a guy named Coyer from Massillon had accepted the job then about a week or so later turned it down for a position I think at Marshall.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

Frankie you almost have the Larry Coyer story right. Coyer was graduate assistant at Msrshall and accepted the job at Massillon one day after he accepted the job at Ironton. Lutz then went on to Ironton and almost quit after dropping the first two game and when someone put a bullet hole in one of the bedroom windows of his house down on Charlotte Street. He ended up winning the next 8.

frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

RiverRatRay wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:22 pm Frankie you almost have the Larry Coyer story right. Coyer was graduate assistant at Msrshall and accepted the job at Massillon one day after he accepted the job at Ironton. Lutz then went on to Ironton and almost quit after dropping the first two game and when someone put a bullet hole in one of the bedroom windows of his house down on Charlotte Street. He ended up winning the next 8.
Yes, Coyer came to Ironton and had a team meeting and then accepted the Massillon job instead. I knew there was a Marshall connection somehow. I am not so sure that incident happened Lutz's first year. But it did happen, I do know that.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

Is the game going to be shown anywhere?

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

artisgilmore wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:03 pm Is the game going to be shown anywhere?
It’ll be on the Hive Live on Facebook. Dawson-Bryant Local Schools

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Ironton should win this going away they are improving each game and showing a wide playbook to choose from.
Grove will make the playoffs and I wish them the best and go far.
Talent level Ironton has the edge Ironton should win by 4 scores

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

XandOs wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:09 pm
TigerMania wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:02 pm

Talent???

The program was in the worst shape it’s been in 50 years when he took over. All this talent??? We lost to Fairland, Coal Grove ( BAD) Gallia and Portsmouth. We finished 4th in OVC. Kids were leaving and many including the All American was on his way out the door. That All American you speak of never played LB in his life til Hs. So someone developed him? Ex Staff member/ wife should see that.
Kinda what I was thinking Carrico definitely benefited greatly from that coaching staff and I’m 100 percent positive he will tell you that.

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ironton pulls away in the third. +28

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

frankie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:48 pm
RiverRatRay wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:22 pm Frankie you almost have the Larry Coyer story right. Coyer was graduate assistant at Msrshall and accepted the job at Massillon one day after he accepted the job at Ironton. Lutz then went on to Ironton and almost quit after dropping the first two game and when someone put a bullet hole in one of the bedroom windows of his house down on Charlotte Street. He ended up winning the next 8.
Yes, Coyer came to Ironton and had a team meeting and then accepted the Massillon job instead. I knew there was a Marshall connection somehow. I am not so sure that incident happened Lutz's first year. But it did happen, I do know that.
I believe the gunshot incident may have happened after the 1975 Ashland game. very unfortunate and someone should have gone to
prison for it.

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

Seen on Facebook where the Tigers are going to finally take that fancy bus of theirs to Coal Grove. I sure hope that no one from Coal Grove messes with that bus because they get a little wild there. I sure hope you all plan on bringing it up here to Gallia next week. Wouldn’t mind checking it out. Also, just curious who owns the bus the school district or a booster club?

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

I also hope we can field a team to play you all next week too.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

frankie wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:49 pm
XandOs wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm
wonderbread wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:51 pm

name the 5 kids that is on the TEAM WITH D 1 OFFERS?

YOU DO KNOW NIKE IS SPONSORING A LOT OF HIGH SCHOL TEAMS IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER RIGHT ?

NEW TIGER BUS? HAS IT BEEN ON THE ROAD YET ? ASKING FOR A FRIEND DO IRONTON OWN IT >? JUAT A LOANER YOU SAY ? YES A LOT EASIER WHEN YOU GET SINIOREXPERIENECD PLAYERS LIKE THE KID FROM VALLY THAT HEAD COACH CAME TO TALK TO AT A SUMMMER BASKETBALL SCRIMAGE GAME LOT OF CLAS THERE FROM A FELLOW COACH RIGHT? COACH LUTZ DIDDNT HAVE TO GO ON THE ROAD LOKIN BTHEY COME TO HIM FROM EVERYWHERE
Gage Salyers, Reed Carrico, Trevor Carter, Aston Duncan, and I’m sure I’m missing others. The bus is owned by the booster club from what I’m told. All the other stuff your talking about I have no clue but it’s very hard to decipher.
Junior Jones
Seth Fosson

Lol at the Pendleton haters. The last coaching staff would have had us in the OVC cellar by now. Wonderbread did you even graduate HS?
Washington and Keyes have made visits to D1 Schools , Boggs just got an offer from Morehead State.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:08 am
frankie wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:49 pm
XandOs wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Gage Salyers, Reed Carrico, Trevor Carter, Aston Duncan, and I’m sure I’m missing others. The bus is owned by the booster club from what I’m told. All the other stuff your talking about I have no clue but it’s very hard to decipher.
Junior Jones
Seth Fosson

Lol at the Pendleton haters. The last coaching staff would have had us in the OVC cellar by now. Wonderbread did you even graduate HS?
Washington and Keyes have made visits to D1 Schools , Boggs just got an offer from Morehead State.
Might want to throw Carpenter and Perkins into the visit mix.

Go2Guy
Waterboy

Post by Go2Guy »

Just a little food for thought, how about these other local OVC teams stop crying and fix the problem. Quit the good ol boy system, stop letting parents impact athletes playing time. If you have a coach that is not producing wins send him packing, schools holding on to coaches that never have a winning season. Just because there family is friends with school members or he was a great football player in the past. There is no reason why these teams should have kids transferring out. But honestly, who wouldn't why would you stay at a school that gets beat like a drum year after year. These schools are there own worst problems. Stop blaming Ironton for being successful, and hating on athletes that want to transfer to be noticed and have the experience of being on a winning team and noticed at the next level. Ironton has a great staff right now that really puts there time into these kids. Maybe if these problems were fixed in other districts kids wouldn't leave. So until its fixed will keep taking any that wanna come play for the TIGERS!!! Get Bobs brothers sons cousin off the field and hire a real coach...

Return to “Football”