Logan Football League Talk

teach1coach2
All State

Re: Future of Logan - League

Post by teach1coach2 »

Logan's chances of getting into a league.

1) Licking County League - Has 11 teams starting next school year (added Zanesville). The LCL thinks it will pull a 12th team (or maybe add 3 more) from teams currently in the Mid-State League, Ohio Capital Conference, or Muskingum Valley League. I just don't see it happening. I know the LCL has considered and turned Logan down in recent years, but I think a couple years of 11 teams and Logan will get a much better look.

2) Mid-State League - Every time they add or lose a team, Logan is going to be mentioned. Might just get in at some point.

3) Ohio Capital Conference - Not likely because they are too far out of Columbus for schools used to driving 30 minutes or less to play a league opponent. But more likely than any other options in my opinion.

Not happening:

1) Muskingum Valley League - Coshocton and northern Muskingum county teams would not vote to travel to Logan. Too far away for a league that considers a 1 hr 45 min trip a long trip. Plus Logan is larger than all 12 (starting fall 2020) of the MVL schools.

2) Frontier Athletic League - Basically same reason as MVL.

3) Tri-Valley Conference - TVC teams are smaller than MVL and FAC generally. Logan might be close in distance to some of these schools, but not size. We saw what Athens did. Logan would do that on a much better scale. And it should, it has a Much Much bigger student body.

Cav's Alum
Waterboy

Post by Cav's Alum »

They might be a good fit in the Mid-State league IF the league were to reorganize. I know the league already has 2 D1 teams, Whitehall and Teays Valley. Bloom-Carroll is getting close on enrollment and, with their areas growth, should be close to moving up at some point. Maybe combine that with the likes of Fairfield Union and Hamilton Township, or maybe even Lancaster! The MSL currently has 3 divisions but if they wanted to expand this could be the beginning of another (big school) division. Of course, the league would need to fill the vacancies left open in the other 3 divisions. Here's the dilemma I see for both Logan and Chillicothe. They are usually too big and good to be playing the majority of teams that are normally on their schedule. It really doesn't help them come tournament or football playoff time. I also wonder how fare it is for the smaller schools to have them on their schedules. I've always professed you only get better when playing quality opponents. Both should look north to play more challenging schools. Driving up US 23 and US 33 have to be better and safer that driving the hills and curves to many of the places where they play. My perspective is from growing up and competing in the old COL, which isn't coming back, so it's just me, think'in out loud!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Raider6309 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:39 pm Logan is just way too big for the TVC. Logan would never stay in the TVC. Just like when Jackson tried to join. I told you Jackson is joining another league and the TVC would be temporary. Logan wants to join small school D1 league that’s East and South East of Columbus
Logan was in ONE league for 97 years. If they get in the TVC - they ain't leavin'.

If Jackson had gotten in the TVC with Logan, Gallia, and Warren back in 2015 they'd still be there. Gallia is the only school who may have left the TVC for the OVC.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

teach1coach2 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:10 pm Logan's chances of getting into a league.

1) Licking County League - Has 11 teams starting next school year (added Zanesville). The LCL thinks it will pull a 12th team (or maybe add 3 more) from teams currently in the Mid-State League, Ohio Capital Conference, or Muskingum Valley League. I just don't see it happening. I know the LCL has considered and turned Logan down in recent years, but I think a couple years of 11 teams and Logan will get a much better look.

2) Mid-State League - Every time they add or lose a team, Logan is going to be mentioned. Might just get in at some point.

3) Ohio Capital Conference - Not likely because they are too far out of Columbus for schools used to driving 30 minutes or less to play a league opponent. But more likely than any other options in my opinion.

Not happening:

1) Muskingum Valley League - Coshocton and northern Muskingum county teams would not vote to travel to Logan. Too far away for a league that considers a 1 hr 45 min trip a long trip. Plus Logan is larger than all 12 (starting fall 2020) of the MVL schools.

2) Frontier Athletic League - Basically same reason as MVL.

3) Tri-Valley Conference - TVC teams are smaller than MVL and FAC generally. Logan might be close in distance to some of these schools, but not size. We saw what Athens did. Logan would do that on a much better scale. And it should, it has a Much Much bigger student body.

Pretty much all of this.

Not a lot to add. I think the TVC is more likely that the Ohio Capital Conference. But only in a scenario where there is enough movement to create a third division that would include Marietta, Warren, Athens, Logan and two more schools. Until you can figure out who those two are it remains unlikely you'll see that happen.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If the FAC would add from the south, west or north would this have Jackson thinking about joining a larger division in the TVC? What if Marietta, Warren, Athens Logan and Jackson started talks about restarting the SEOAL, do you think Gallia would be interested? If that would happen would it be okay to think if Wellston, Meigs and Vinton cty and three other schools in SEO would join them to make a small division in the SEOAL? Six schools in each division with no crossover games. Agreed that no more than eight teams to a division allowing seven division games and three non-league.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

Chief02 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:07 pm
NYBuckeye96 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:11 am What bridges were burned with the MSL? Or do you mean applying in the past and not being accepted?
Well I was told we had burnt a bridge with Amanda when we played them in basketball in 2015-16 and was pressing them even though we were up by 40. Amanda administration didn’t take too kindly to it.
not sure where you got that , The JV players got some good minutes the JV team would have beaten them soundly , just a game that Amanda should have not scheduled and I did not remember any pressing , but there might have been, game was over in the 1st Q . Everyone wants to find reasons why no league but the bottom line is Logan size with their location makes it difficult but a combo of D1 and D2 teams would be a good fit . Many good D2 teams that would be competitive every year with a mix of D1 would be a win situation . Hopefully something will open up , gotta feel bad for the KIDS because they are the ones that are really affected , but I guess some schools administrations have their own reasons .

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

Chieftain Fan wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:25 pm
NYBuckeye96 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:11 am What bridges were burned with the MSL? Or do you mean applying in the past and not being accepted?
Well I was told we had burnt a bridge with Amanda when we played them in basketball in 2015-16 and was pressing them even though we were up by 40. Amanda administration didn’t take too kindly to it.
not sure where you got that , The JV players got some good minutes the JV team would have beaten them soundly , just a game that Amanda should have not scheduled and I did not remember any pressing , but there might have been, game was over in the 1st Q . Everyone wants to find reasons why no league but the bottom line is Logan size with their location makes it difficult but a combo of D1 and D2 teams would be a good fit . Many good D2 teams that would be competitive every year with a mix of D1 would be a win situation . Hopefully something will open up , gotta feel bad for the KIDS because they are the ones that are really affected , but I guess some schools administrations have their own reasons .
Heard it from a few Amanda people. It was also discussed on the basketball forum. Doesn’t make it correct, but that’s “what I heard” as I said.

I know the realities of our location and size. I’m not oblivious to that. I will soon have kids affected by playing for a school with no league. It’s a sad thing to see for those kids going through it and those who will go through it. Every administration does have their reasons and that is what I’m trying to understand. Why you might ask? Well, it’s a subject to fill the void of no basketball or football and it’s the time of year that if anything changes invite wise, it will happen in the next couple months.

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

Chief02 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:50 am
Chieftain Fan wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:25 pm

Heard it from a few Amanda people. It was also discussed on the basketball forum. Doesn’t make it correct, but that’s “what I heard” as I said.

I know the realities of our location and size. I’m not oblivious to that. I will soon have kids affected by playing for a school with no league. It’s a sad thing to see for those kids going through it and those who will go through it. Every administration does have their reasons and that is what I’m trying to understand. Why you might ask? Well, it’s a subject to fill the void of no basketball or football and it’s the time of year that if anything changes invite wise, it will happen in the next couple months.
Chief 02 I agree with you and feel bad for the KIDS. Apparently there is some hostility from some schools and that is understandable . That always happens due to things the present KIDS and COACHES had nothing to do with . It will be a happy day in Chieftain Country when they join a league .A league with parity and every team on a given year could win a title which will strength their programs whether it's football or any other sport . I can hope that the AD is working on establishing relationships with schools that have a common goal of establishing a model league . Just a side note and in no way to offend anyone . Logan played Amanda Dec 30 , 2015 at Amanda and won 70 something to 30 something and there was no Game Post on SEO PREP only updates from, Chieftain 2009 . Lets hope for a league soon and let the kids enjoy the value and excitement of competing that will benefit your school kids . Sounds like we both want what's best for the KIDS and I thank you for that.

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

Chieftain Fan wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:37 pm
Chief02 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:50 am
Chieftain Fan wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:25 pm not sure where you got that , The JV players got some good minutes the JV team would have beaten them soundly , just a game that Amanda should have not scheduled and I did not remember any pressing , but there might have been, game was over in the 1st Q . Everyone wants to find reasons why no league but the bottom line is Logan size with their location makes it difficult but a combo of D1 and D2 teams would be a good fit . Many good D2 teams that would be competitive every year with a mix of D1 would be a win situation . Hopefully something will open up , gotta feel bad for the KIDS because they are the ones that are really affected , but I guess some schools administrations have their own reasons .

Chief 02 I agree with you and feel bad for the KIDS. Apparently there is some hostility from some schools and that is understandable . That always happens due to things the present KIDS and COACHES had nothing to do with . It will be a happy day in Chieftain Country when they join a league .A league with parity and every team on a given year could win a title which will strength their programs whether it's football or any other sport . I can hope that the AD is working on establishing relationships with schools that have a common goal of establishing a model league . Just a side note and in no way to offend anyone . Logan played Amanda Dec 30 , 2015 at Amanda and won 70 something to 30 something and there was no Game Post on SEO PREP only updates from, Chieftain 2009 . Lets hope for a league soon and let the kids enjoy the value and excitement of competing that will benefit your school kids . Sounds like we both want what's best for the KIDS and I thank you for that.
Absolutely! I want to see kids fighting it out for a league championship each year. I want kids like mine to have those memories and the emotions that come along with them.

CatFoodFlambe
Waterboy

Post by CatFoodFlambe »

I'm thinking that Logan will have to stake their hopes to a fallout in the Ohio Capital Conference that might also attract a couple of schools from the MSL.

chiefs20
Waterboy

Post by chiefs20 »

What about a league with Logan, Teays Valley, Canal Winchester, Chillicothe, Lancaster, and maybe Groveport-Madison?

chiefs20
Waterboy

Post by chiefs20 »

chiefs20 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:05 pm What about a league with Logan, Teays Valley, Canal Winchester, Chillicothe, Lancaster, and maybe Groveport-Madison?
Maybe even Hamilton Township

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

why would they play down? with that great new facility, why not hire a strength and fitness coach and build your sports up? What league does watkins play in?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Paulcrew wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:16 pm why would they play down? with that great new facility, why not hire a strength and fitness coach and build your sports up? What league does watkins play in?
Licking County League. They expanded and so did the MVL.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

chiefs20 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:05 pm What about a league with Logan, Teays Valley, Canal Winchester, Chillicothe, Lancaster, and maybe Groveport-Madison?
Cause those schools are pretty happy with their current leagues.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
borodad
Riding the Bench

Post by borodad »

Nobody in Hillsboro enjoys the current driving and it never seems like the FAC will bring in anyone other than east of Chillicothe.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

countywide35 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:42 am But what it is about the MSL that doesn’t want Logan in it ?? Besides the competition???
There’s been allusions on this thread to possible “bridge-burning” based on... an incident of pressing in a basketball game? I can tell you that’s not the reason why Logan ain’t in the MSL. I’m not saying it’s totally insignificant, either.

The problem with Logan and the MSL is largely two-fold: two of the three MSL flights (the Buckeye and the Ohio) are based on geography, and the MSL as a constituency has yet to vote to completely revamp the league and restructure the divisions into “big, medium and small school” flights. Logan does not fit well geographically to either of the two. And before someone says “they’d fit fine in the Buckeye”, on a map they would. But it’s not an ideal fit from the perspective of the MSL schools. In their eyes, the current set-up is unbeatable. Short driving times, awesome gate revenues, shared sense of pride and intense rivalries. And Logan’s hypothetical addition only makes sense to Teays Valley, Hamilton Twp and maybe Bloom-Carroll. The awful football dilemma at Fairfield Union, where the numbers are extremely low, is going to make them balk on a “yes” vote for Logan. Amanda and Liberty Union will NOT vote to add Logan into their part of the MSL, and those two are forming the backbone of the Fairfield County schools and their sustained MSL involvement.

Logan only gets into the MSL, eventually, if the league reconfigures into a size alignment - not a geographic one. And that’s going to be harder now than it was five years ago because of them recently adding Buckeye Valley (north of Delaware). The Ohio is largely content, although Grandview has grumbled recently. Still, I think that contingency would be displeased about adding the drive to Logan. The Buckeye is very satisfied with their current set-up, as stated earlier. If something were to change, there’s not even a guarantee Logan would be considered. An MSL A.D. told me over Christmas break in a text that “Logan checks some of the boxes we’d look for, but we don’t know about how they’d fit. They seem to think they can do a league with Lancaster. Big difference from some of us.” And any future vacancies or shifts in the Buckeye is going to have Fisher Cath. and/or Berne Union suggested.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The MSL league made sense back in the 90’s and 00’s but those schools all left

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Raider6309 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:50 am The MSL league made sense back in the 90’s and 00’s
but those schools all left
What’chu talkin’ bout, Raider?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Are you referring to that really weird conference that had London, Court House, the Licking County schools and Big Walnut? The Buckeye conference?

Return to “Football”