SEOPS

Wheelersburg 42 McNicholas 35 2022

Post by wobycat »

Anyone got a clue on this team?

Prime Time
All State

Re: Burg vs Archbishop

Post by Prime Time »

Cincinnati McNicholas 1-0, 56-7 over Indian Hills Week 1.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Thinking this will be another great game. Pirates have to develop some type of a passing game. Can’t let them load the box on defense. Seen some hi-lights from their game. They seem to have great team speed. Qb is a dual threat.

TriState_34

Post by TriState_34 »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:36 pm Thinking this will be another great game. Pirates have to develop some type of a passing game. Can’t let them load the box on defense. Seen some hi-lights from their game. They seem to have great team speed. Qb is a dual threat.
Bingo. Said it in ironton burg thread post game. Burg has to make up for lack of pass by utiliizing your qb1s legs. He's got good wheels. Let him be a playmaker and accentuate the run game. Make the opponent account for him. Then that pass to your big TE is gonna be a true weapon.

Nicknevada86
Varsity

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Atchbishop 24-13

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

The Burg will lucky to score any, with this offence. With this many kids out you would think they could find some one to complete a 15 yard pass.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

I believe it’s after this game burg gets their offense figured out. rooting for them but I think this will be a tall task, their defense should keep it close I believe

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

wobycat wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:52 pm Anyone got a clue on this team?
Tough game for Burg on the road. Archbishop is considered a top 10 D4 team in a number of preseason polls. May not have Ironton’s talent but may be the toughest team on the schedule.

The passing game issues are not just on the QB. We also need receivers who can get open; they were not against Ironton. Until a receiver steps up, definitely need to use Jones’ running ability. Also like the bootleg RPO with the TE.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

If Burg can't throw the ball, every team they play will just stuff the box with 10 defenders and make it difficult for Burg to run the ball.

Not one pass to a RB out of the backfield against Ironton. Tried one screen pass! Threw to the TE maybe three times.

Roll him out and give him the option to run or throw. If he can't make the throws, I think you have to go with the Freshman.

First 5 games for Burg will be brutal with the nex three on the road. They handled Russell last year at Burg and I'm guessing Ashland lost their best players to Ironton so those might be winnable. Cincy and Jackson will be tough games.

Good luck Burg on Friday!!!!

SPelf
Freshman Team

Post by SPelf »

Anyone know Jones' stats from last year? He/coaching staff seem to have lost confidence in his ability to throw the ball.

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

SPelf wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:54 am Anyone know Jones' stats from last year? He/coaching staff seem to have lost confidence in his ability to throw the ball.
I don't know about last year but in this game he was like 1 out of 6 passes. The completion he had was his best ball, all the others were either behind or way out in front. He's an athlete filling in as a QB. Burg will live or die with it or apparently there is a freshman that can throw, they may try it.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Hopefully Burg can get enough completions to sustain drives.

Not A Homer
Riding the Bench

Post by Not A Homer »

mustard wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:16 am
SPelf wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:54 am Anyone know Jones' stats from last year? He/coaching staff seem to have lost confidence in his ability to throw the ball.
I don't know about last year but in this game he was like 1 out of 6 passes. The completion he had was his best ball, all the others were either behind or way out in front. He's an athlete filling in as a QB. Burg will live or die with it or apparently there is a freshman that can throw, they may try it.
Jones only started half the year last season, so stat's wouldn't be great no matter what. Burg changed QBs and OCs mid season, hard to believe they made it as deep as they did, but they definitely did not let him air it out last year. I think the kid doesn't have confidence in himself throwing, leading the staff to game plan around that. I'd say by the end of the season Stamper and Rucker will have gotten some in game reps at QB. We know this coaching staff isn't against pulling a upperclassmen QB when needed. Tried Makya vs Ironton, didn't work. Mack Dyer was All Ohio and lost his job to an underclassman as a Senior.
Rucker will definitely be the QB of the future. If he tears it up in JV play, I wouldn't be surprised to see him split time in SOC games and maybe even take the position from Jones. He's just a freshman though, and not physically ready yet, no knock on him - he'll be a great QB1 for the Pirates in the next several seasons.

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

McNicholas is very well coached and has a good program in general. The are very fast . Burg will be able to play with them good playoff type game for both teams.

Hoping the Burg pulls it off but I think McNich maybe a touchdown better

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Last year this team lost to State Champ Massie by 1 point in the playoffs, going for a 2 point conversion to win it in the regional title game, however I'm not sure how much they return....looks like they have about 22 Seniors.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

I know the QB from last year graduated and a RB but not sure if he was their best back or not. Also a little bit of a difference when they pulled Dyer because they replaced him with a junior. The freshman, if he keeps progressing and all that, should be outstanding but I dunno if I’d throw him to the wolves yet.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Burg needs to clean up the penalties, especially the delay of game penalties. Something you very rarely saw out of a Burg offense was a delay of game penalty as all the plays were sent in by hand signals.

I would put Burg's defense up against any team around. Other than one big running play, they pretty much shut down Ironton's running game.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Another tough game but should pay off in the long run for BURG. Good luck.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

I would 100% start Rucker. Why not. The pirates have the best line they will have for a few years…. Put him back there and let him gain confidence behind those big seniors. They start other freshmen…

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

I thought Pirates head coach did a great job in game plan vs Ironton. Run the ball and shorten the game. Much like his playoff strategy last year. He didn’t throw much because it’s early season (some would say pre season) and turnovers would have cost him a chance at winning in the4th quarter. it was great strategy last year as irontons turnovers cost them the game.
I think Wheelersburg will figure it out once the conference schedule begins.
when you are outmatched talent and speed wise, like last year, you devise a conservative strategy that gives you the best chance to win. It worked last year and it could possibly work again in the playoffs this year. The Pirates probably lose this game and maybe the Jackson game. However, they should win all their league games and will make playoffs with at least 6 with na and maybe even 5.
All that matters is making the playoffs. At this stage in Burgs program, league titles don’t mean much, playoff wins do

Return to “Football”