Columbus school teachers on strike. Do games go on as scheduled?

carbon_dated
All State

Columbus school teachers on strike. Do games go on as scheduled?

Post by carbon_dated »

If there's strike on by the weekend do games get cancelled or forfeited or do volunteers do the coaching?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: Columbus school teachers on strike. Do games go on as scheduled?

Post by formerfcfan »

carbon_dated wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:23 pm If there's strike on by the weekend do games get cancelled or forfeited or do volunteers do the coaching?
The games are cancelled throughout the duration of the strike, which began yesterday. So this week is lopped off for good and contracts for games next week are already being hovered over the shredder by their scheduled opponents.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

thanks formerfcfan,
Wasn't sure the protocol but I bet those kids with D-1 offers (and I'm sure there's a lot of them in Columbus) are sweating this out.
Shame for the cheerleaders, bands and boosters.

Thereddragin
Riding the Bench

Post by Thereddragin »

But, Hey, it's all about the kids!

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

Hate this for the kids!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

formerfcfan wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:33 pm
carbon_dated wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:23 pm If there's strike on by the weekend do games get cancelled or forfeited or do volunteers do the coaching?
The games are cancelled throughout the duration of the strike, which began yesterday. So this week is lopped off for good and contracts for games next week are already being hovered over the shredder by their scheduled opponents.
WOW, that absolutely sucks for the kids. So if the strike last 4-5-6 more weeks or even 2 months these young men lose out on a season?? I mean just wow

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Crazy! I cant imagine what these seniors are feeling, especially after covid and all of that. If the coaches wanna coach an d the kids wanna play, let them tee it up!

PurplePower
Freshman Team

Post by PurplePower »

carbon_dated wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:51 pm thanks formerfcfan,
Wasn't sure the protocol but I bet those kids with D-1 offers (and I'm sure there's a lot of them in Columbus) are sweating this out.
Its also a shame for the teachers. Teachers are underappreciated, underpaid, and direspected in todays society. Its a shame they have to go on strike to be treated close to fairly. While I agree that I hate to see kids miss out on opportunities, I doubt anyone loses a D1 offer because their school distrioct was on strike. This wont last long. Kids will be back on the field soon.

BEWARE OF THE STOMP AND STARE!
ReedsvilleEaglesFan
Freshman Team

Post by ReedsvilleEaglesFan »

PurplePower wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:05 am
carbon_dated wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:51 pm thanks formerfcfan,
Its also a shame for the teachers. Teachers are underappreciated, underpaid, and direspected in todays society. Its a shame they have to go on strike to be treated close to fairly. While I agree that I hate to see kids miss out on opportunities, I doubt anyone loses a D1 offer because their school distrioct was on strike. This wont last long. Kids will be back on the field soon.
That's the difference between Southern and Eastern. You feel sorry for the teachers and cow down to them when they strike or even threaten to, and we fire and replace them. Ya'll too soft out there in Racine. :mrgreen:

BCBobcat
Waterboy

Post by BCBobcat »

Purple Power-----One of the dumbest posts ever----these kids didnt vote to go on strike, While I dont disagree that teachers are underpaid---they chose this profession and knew the pay going in. It is NOT about getting D-1 Scholarships, it is about everything that these kids are missing --on the heals of COVID and the dumba-- things that brought on---just gotta feel for these Sr's . Great job CCS BOE and Teachers,

The Butcher
Waterboy

Post by The Butcher »

That’s not fair. Me and the boys at the butcher shop have a simple philosophy. If they gonna be a strike it’s gotta be in the fall but we aren’t gonna interrupt basketball. We have priorities and if necessary we give those teachers what they need to keep the gym open.

If we haven't heard a rumor by noon, we start one!
wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

BCBobcat wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:36 am Its also a shame for the teachers. Teachers are underappreciated, underpaid, and direspected in todays society. Its a shame they have to go on strike to be treated close to fairly. While I agree that I hate to see kids miss out on opportunities, I doubt anyone loses a D1 offer because their school distrioct was on strike. This wont last long. Kids will be back on the field soon.

Purple Power-----One of the dumbest posts ever----these kids didnt vote to go on strike, While I dont disagree that teachers are underpaid---they chose this profession and knew the pay going in. It is NOT about getting D-1 Scholarships, it is about everything that these kids are missing --on the heals of COVID and the dumba-- things that brought on---just gotta feel for these Sr's . Great job CCS BOE and Teachers,
It's obvious your not a teacher and do not understand what the teachers are fighting for in the district. Maybe you should go look and be a little more informed. The conditions for the schools of Columbus city schools is unacceptable for students. Not only are the teachers fighting for higher pay but they are fighting for better conditions for the students.

BCBobcat
Waterboy

Post by BCBobcat »

Thanks for the education wch125---I am much smarter now.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

At least I should clarify the D-1 offers and just state that any college assistance as far as athletics. Maybe it won't last but a couple weeks.
Always thought I'd like to be a teacher when I was in my early 20's but going on strike is necessary when conditions dictate.

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

BCBobcat wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:51 am Thanks for the education wch125---I am much smarter now.
Anytime ! We should always help those in need !

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I think folks (not necessarily here, but in sports circles in the city) are drawing a questionable line connecting “there should be sports despite the strike” to what’s going on. To be candid, I support the teachers’ strike and recognize the merits along with the positive impact sports has on the kids.

The board/CCS is who canceled sports for the duration of the strike. They declared as such. There’s a lot to unpack with the decision, as well as the general politics and optics of it. Their claim is that because the majority of the staffs are CEA, they don’t have enough coaches to fill it out. I personally think that’s a pretty crappy excuse.

Independent of the claim, when it comes to rationalizing that the kids should play there are several layers of ethical/individualistic gray area toward that end that I (and others I’ve talked to) have a hard time reconciling. There is an opinion that the continuation of sports throughout the strike bribes the coaches into crossing the picket (a situation no one wants to find themselves in), and the kids end up becoming pawns by the board to undermine / oppose the strike over time — because attrition sets in and you get kids organizing into “my season is eroding, teachers end the strike.” (*) Second, because support for the strike is very strong in the city of Columbus, the huge vocal majority of strike sympathizers are not going to personally care that the Coaches Have Something To Say (even though I personally sympathize with them.) The general public in Columbus, especially those standing with the strike, do not have a positive view toward sports when it comes to Columbus City Schools. Third, there is also some reluctance across several domains (general public, the peers in the suburbs and statewide) that there should be an automatic green light toward sports because “school” amid the current strike is super thread-barren, if not dubious, with no realistic way to account for who is attending “school” amid the strike and therefore eligible on the day-to-day to play. The OHSAA has already said they’re not interested in intervening on this due to the current policy, which is probably the most prudent and correct way to go about it for the time being.

(*) — I draw special attention to this part, because while strikes are nothing new to SEO, this is a supercharged situation with lots of frustration, organizing and capital expense the likes of which no one has ever seen before.

ReedsvilleEaglesFan
Freshman Team

wch125 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:42 am
BCBobcat wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:36 am Its also a shame for the teachers. Teachers are underappreciated, underpaid, and direspected in todays society. Its a shame they have to go on strike to be treated close to fairly. While I agree that I hate to see kids miss out on opportunities, I doubt anyone loses a D1 offer because their school distrioct was on strike. This wont last long. Kids will be back on the field soon.

It's obvious your not a teacher and do not understand what the teachers are fighting for in the district. Maybe you should go look and be a little more informed. The conditions for the schools of Columbus city schools is unacceptable for students. Not only are the teachers fighting for higher pay but they are fighting for better conditions for the students.
Obviously you only read the statement made by the teacher's union. And you drank the cool aide. You're probably one of them. Hey if they don't like the conditions they can find a job elsewhere. Everyone is hiring right now. They can and should be replaced if they are not happy so that those students who they claim to be "fighting for" can attend school in person. Not to mention that in Ohio those types of strikes are illegal. If you are really looking out for the students you need to go to work so the students can get back in school.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

ReedsvilleEaglesFan wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:43 pm

Obviously you only read the statement made by the teacher's union. And you drank the cool aide. You're probably one of them. Hey if they don't like the conditions they can find a job elsewhere. Everyone is hiring right now. They can and should be replaced if they are not happy so that those students who they claim to be "fighting for" can attend school in person. Not to mention that in Ohio those types of strikes are illegal. If you are really looking out for the students you need to go to work so the students can get back in school.
Replace them with who? A non-existent band of ~4,000 people that want to work in crummy buildings?

ReedsvilleEaglesFan
Freshman Team

formerfcfan wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:56 pm

Replace them with who? A non-existent band of ~4,000 people that want to work in crummy buildings?
Charter and on line schools are loaded with teachers who would love to be in a public school. Many at private schools would also like to be in public.

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

ReedsvilleEaglesFan wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:25 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:56 pm

Charter and on line schools are loaded with teachers who would love to be in a public school. Many at private schools would also like to be in public.
Why yes I am a teacher and I drank the cool aide. I have friends and family members who attend Columbus schools and use the facilities. The teachers and students have been doing alot with very little for years. If you would like to see one example of the many in the school district you should drive by Columbus Mifflin hs .Its located near Easton mall close to Ohio Dominican. They have A a school that has never been updated and also are using Air Conditioners hanging out the windows to keep classrooms cool in the fall and in the winter struggle to heat the building.

The teachers that stay in this district are from those neighborhoods and know those students or believe in the kids and want them to have the same opportunities the rest of the state has. As for those types of strikes being Illegal obviously you have drank that Kool aid. It is not illegal they gave the district notice.

Maybe you should volunteer your time and be a substitute teacher there and see what its liking in the district.

Return to “Football”