Riding the Bench

Re: WK5 PORTSMOUTH VS GALLIA ACADEMY

Post by Thegreenwave »

Gallia by 14.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Gallia has been a surprise so far. They score a lot of points as well. Not sure how physical the devils are but the Trojans are not. I’m a Trojan fan but think Gallia takes this game by a score or 2. I’m still mad that last year this game was not played. I feel Portsmouth would of won and had a home playoff game. Instead we lost to waverly and played on the road but we won. I would of liked to see a home playoff game.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Gallia really working on trying to turn things around which is funny as they were all running the new coach down, he's done a nice job so far. Nice sure how I feel about this game as Portsmouth can come out looking great or just look flat but I'm really not sold on who Gallia has beaten so far this year. To that I'm going to go with the Trojans by 2 scores.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Gallia Academy has long been a nemesis for Portsmouth. This is a winnable game for the Trojans, but the defense has to step up and play their best game of the season to date. So far, PHS has given up 27.9 PPG (2 Int returns for TD don't count), and are averaging 28.7 PPG on offense.

I have confidence that the offense can score multiple times vs. the Blue Devils, but this is most likely going to be a game where a shootout type of score will favor GAHS.

Portsmouth is now entering the toughest stretch of their schedule, with GAHS, Coal Grove, Fairland, and Ironton ahead. 2-2 right now, 1-0 in the OVC.

GO TROJANS!!

MR305
Freshman Team

Post by MR305 »

Gallipolis by 14 or more. Looking forward to playing at Portsmouth. Beautiful facilities.

Nicknevada86
Varsity

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Phs 34-27

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Taking my Trojans by 10 , I think it might be a shot out and give the advantage to Portsmouth if so.

The trojan Defense was probably the most physical against rock hill more so then the first 3 games, Hammond has some big licks and Noah Livingston is still doing his thing as the teams lead tackler.

I honestly feel we could have put at least two more TD,s on rock him but the play calling got really conservative after we got the lead.

Go Trojans!!!

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

West exposed Portsmouth. Their line is weak and their D is soft. Hate that, but the Trojans are in for a long season.

"Come on Dave, give me a break" Ted Templeton UNCHAINED!
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

RiverBallFan1 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:25 pm West exposed Portsmouth. Their line is weak and their D is soft. Hate that, but the Trojans are in for a long season.
Not sure how a 2-2 team who will for sure win 4 games (South Point & Chesapeake) is in for a long season? 4-6 isn’t great but a long season isn’t what i’d call a likely 4 or 5 win team.

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:08 pm
RiverBallFan1 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:25 pm West exposed Portsmouth. Their line is weak and their D is soft. Hate that, but the Trojans are in for a long season.
Not sure how a 2-2 team who will for sure win 4 games (South Point & Chesapeake) is in for a long season? 4-6 isn’t great but a long season isn’t what i’d call a likely 4 or 5 win team.
If a Portsmouth team has a 4 or 5 win record…that’s a long season! It’s a long season for any team!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

West is also probably one of the top 5 teams in the area, so to use them as a comparison for the teams to come is a bit of a stretch.

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:44 am
West is also probably one of the top 5 teams in the area, so to use them as a comparison for the teams to come is a bit of a stretch.
Top 5 in this area? Is that Scioto County or a little beyond? If Scioto, yes, they are the #2 team in the area, with a big gap between 1 and 2. They also lost to Fairland and will get throttled this week. The way Portsmouth came back against Valley, I thought Portsmouth would beat West. Instead…they are in for a long season!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

RiverBallFan1 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:51 am
greygoose wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:44 am
Top 5 in this area? Is that Scioto County or a little beyond? If Scioto, yes, they are the #2 team in the area, with a big gap between 1 and 2. They also lost to Fairland and will get throttled this week. The way Portsmouth came back against Valley, I thought Portsmouth would beat West. Instead…they are in for a long season!
Top 5 in SEO not Scioto, you had to be one of the few to think Portsmouth would beat West, Portsmouth replacing just to much talent and honestly they've got no identity to fall back on right now. West is a load this year and should be a quality team next year, I don't care about the loss to Fairland they outgained them everywhere and it was at Fairland a place teams struggle to play plus it was a week 1 game West might not be challenged until week 10 as it sits right now.

Top 5--
Ironton
Chillicothe
Jackson
West/Burg
Unioto/Zane Trace

I'm sure I'm going to forget someone that could be in the mix. Either West or Burg could drop to 5 and knock Unioto or ZT out of it in my book
Last edited by greygoose on Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

First, yes I thought Portsmouth would beat West, not a hater like you think. Can’t wait for the Burg West game!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

RiverBallFan1 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:04 am First, yes I thought Portsmouth would beat West, not a hater like you think. Can’t wait for the Burg West game!
Never thought you was just didn't see nor talk to hardly anyone picking Portsmouth in that game. I think a lot of people put too much stock into that Valley game in week 1 for Portsmouth and they're starting to realize Valley is probably a 6-4 team at best.

MR305
Freshman Team

Post by MR305 »

I wouldn’t worry about Portsmouth’s past games, better focus on the one this week. Don’t see the Trojans slowing down Gallia Academy. 35-13 Gallia Academy

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

PHS at home in a close one I think. Good luck Trojans.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

RiverBallFan1 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:27 am
BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:08 pm
If a Portsmouth team has a 4 or 5 win record…that’s a long season! It’s a long season for any team!
5-5 is literally .500 lol. A ton of teams would be happy with that, with 16 teams there will be some years teams get in at 5-5. Not every team has expectations to go and win state. This isn’t Cincinnati or Cleveland, this is scioto county lol. I’m sure Portsmouth doesn’t strive to go 4-6 or 5-5 but that’s not really all that close to a long season. That would mean they beat who they should’ve, lost to who they should’ve. Long season is losing those games you should win. Portsmouth lost a ton from last season, including their best players on offense and defense. The bar was never set too high this season. 5-5 with a possible playoff birth would be a win for the Trojans.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Not sure anyone gave new coach that hard of a time. Several of us didn't believe Penrod should be replaced, but that is not our call that is other people's decision. Then the young coach had a rough summer that happens to young people. As i said then your not graded by how you fall Your graded by what happens afterwords.

So far in the season the coach has done a OK job. I only say that becasue there really hasn't been a ton of big coaching decisions. The teams have seemed prepared every week. they really haven't had to make many in game adjustments. I am sure the coach and the staff will do fine.

As far as this game goes i kind of throw out the records here. For some reason no matter what kind of team portsmouth has they somehow turn into a physical team versus the blue devils. The one thing gallia will face in this game they haven't faced yet is the speed in the skill positions portsmouth has. I think they will handle it but this is not really anything gallia has seen first few weeks.

I like the changes to the offense this year as far as the blocking schemes are much more physical then the past. The defense has been really good. I really thought point would line up and run the football right at them. And we would see if they held up but point didn't really run right at them.

Gallia up to the challenge this week not sure about a score but something like 42 to 14 sounds about right

Return to “Football”