Portsmouth West

SiderBlood
All Conference

Portsmouth West

Post by SiderBlood »

No denying a lot of talent will be missed this year. Just cant replace a 4 year starter under center, a senior lead line, and a dominant force on both sides of the ball like Sissel. But I would not count the defending SOC champs out. Lots of athletes and promising young linemen. I have no doubt we have the skill players to match up with anyone in the conference. Biggest question mark is what direction will we go at QB. Vibes are great on the West Side and have a big time former WVU player and West Portsmouth native Blaine Scott in the weight room, and soon to be on the sideline. A young proven staff will definitely get the most out of these inexperienced stars in the making. Lots of winning through all of these classes and even into the junior high programs. I know that doesn't have anything to do with the product on Friday Nights, but i do believe it aids in the establishment of a winning culture. Can't wait for fall evenings at The Rock, as we look to try to repeat.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Tartanblue
SEO

Re: Portsmouth West

Post by Tartanblue »

Scott being on the sidelines will help.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

SiderBlood wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:39 pm No denying a lot of talent will be missed this year. Just cant replace a 4 year starter under center, a senior lead line, and a dominant force on both sides of the ball like Sissel. But I would not count the defending SOC champs out. Lots of athletes and promising young linemen. I have no doubt we have the skill players to match up with anyone in the conference. Biggest question mark is what direction will we go at QB. Vibes are great on the West Side and have a big time former WVU player and West Portsmouth native Blaine Scott in the weight room, and soon to be on the sideline. A young proven staff will definitely get the most out of these inexperienced stars in the making. Lots of winning through all of these classes and even into the junior high programs. I know that doesn't have anything to do with the product on Friday Nights, but i do believe it aids in the establishment of a winning culture. Can't wait for fall evenings at The Rock, as we look to try to repeat.

At QB you have Inexperienced Sr or Inexperienced Soph, Which way do you go? Talent should be good.

WWE HALL OF FAME
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

MrPerfect wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:25 pm
SiderBlood wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:39 pm No denying a lot of talent will be missed this year. Just cant replace a 4 year starter under center, a senior lead line, and a dominant force on both sides of the ball like Sissel. But I would not count the defending SOC champs out. Lots of athletes and promising young linemen. I have no doubt we have the skill players to match up with anyone in the conference. Biggest question mark is what direction will we go at QB. Vibes are great on the West Side and have a big time former WVU player and West Portsmouth native Blaine Scott in the weight room, and soon to be on the sideline. A young proven staff will definitely get the most out of these inexperienced stars in the making. Lots of winning through all of these classes and even into the junior high programs. I know that doesn't have anything to do with the product on Friday Nights, but i do believe it aids in the establishment of a winning culture. Can't wait for fall evenings at The Rock, as we look to try to repeat.

At QB you have Inexperienced Sr or Inexperienced Soph, Which way do you go? Talent should be good.
I think it will probably be Cole Tipton behind center. It’s really inconvenient having to take him from receiver, as he is probably one of the best in the area. I also would love to be able to get some Sophomore experience, I just don’t know if he is ready quite yet. I might be wrong.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

This thread has been quiet. Anyone have anything new?

WWE HALL OF FAME
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I think west will have a solid year. Depth will probably be their biggest issue, other than that, the starters will be strong.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Depth is my biggest concern. We have the athletes to compete with anyone, just a question of how quick these guys will fall into a groove with their new roles. Its tough enough to repeat, I just hope we have leaders that will step up and strive for the same goals as this last senior class did.

Olebud
Waterboy

Post by Olebud »

Seems like the line will be solid, from 1 side to the other. Skill guys are there, I like Tipton at WR but he played Qb in jr high and done a nice job. Don’t sleep on Parker at RB the kid is a work horse. I call him pinball bc he just keeps those legs a pumping. And the defense has basically everyone back. I think it’s gonna be a fun yr

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Olebud wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:27 pm Seems like the line will be solid, from 1 side to the other. Skill guys are there, I like Tipton at WR but he played Qb in jr high and done a nice job. Don’t sleep on Parker at RB the kid is a work horse. I call him pinball bc he just keeps those legs a pumping. And the defense has basically everyone back. I think it’s gonna be a fun yr
Parker is definitely being slept on.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

I'm hearing west will be in a dog fight to not finish last in conference...Guy I spoke to seemed to know what he was talking about. I'll wait for a prediction until pads start cracking...

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

mrwonderful wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:33 pm I'm hearing west will be in a dog fight to not finish last in conference...Guy I spoke to seemed to know what he was talking about. I'll wait for a prediction until pads start cracking...
Curious what the reason for that would be

Olebud
Waterboy

Post by Olebud »

Yeah I definitely don’t see that happening. My opinion they will be in the mix of things come week 10

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

I remember seeing a good bit of underclassmen starting come Week 13, but the Sissel kid was a stud and will be tough to replace. He did it all.

Can’t see them near last place in a league with Oak Hill and Northwest. If they are in the mix come Week 10, that will be a successful season.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

TigerBob wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:18 pm I remember seeing a good bit of underclassmen starting come Week 13, but the Sissel kid was a stud and will be tough to replace. He did it all.

Can’t see them near last place in a league with Oak Hill and Northwest. If they are in the mix come Week 10, that will be a successful season.
Agree 100 percent. Kid like Sissel only comes around once in a blue moon at a small school like West. We return just about everyone on defense but no doubt he was the backbone. Might not win the league but I don’t know if we have ever finished last in the league, I don’t believe this year will be any different.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

Olebud wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:27 pm Seems like the line will be solid, from 1 side to the other. Skill guys are there, I like Tipton at WR but he played Qb in jr high and done a nice job. Don’t sleep on Parker at RB the kid is a work horse. I call him pinball bc he just keeps those legs a pumping. And the defense has basically everyone back. I think it’s gonna be a fun yr
I agree with you on Tipton at WR and also at DB, He is a nice athlete But is the younger guy ready for the big stage?? However it plays out I think they will compete and be in ballgames all season. Big test week #1 to avenge the only blemish from last season.

WWE HALL OF FAME
Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

MrPerfect wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:15 am
I agree with you on Tipton at WR and also at DB, He is a nice athlete But is the younger guy ready for the big stage?? However it plays out I think they will compete and be in ballgames all season. Big test week #1 to avenge the only blemish from last season.
Right now it sounds like Tipton is the QB heading into the season.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:28 pm
MrPerfect wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:15 am
Right now it sounds like Tipton is the QB heading into the season.
His Sr. Experience should show and they should have a very strong run game.

WWE HALL OF FAME
KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

West will have a good unit this year again. The line and front seven should still be solid. As long as Kade Woods and Cole Windsor are playing, the trenches should be a strength for West on both sides of the ball.

Ohio1979
Riding the Bench

Post by Ohio1979 »

Outside of burg, is week 1 their toughest game. How do they stack up against Fairland? I know that for the past few years Fairland has had their number.

Return to “Football”