Best way for kids to get noticed? Recruiter? Coach? Luck?

greygoose
SEOPS

Best way for kids to get noticed? Recruiter? Coach? Luck?

Post by greygoose »

There's been a few discussions on here about kids getting out there and getting recognized by colleges. So I thought I'd put the question out there as there's been talks about T. Galloway and the guy he's with Darren Junior Recruiting services and whether that's the best way or is it a money grabber. From what I've seen so far it seems like the way Ironton handles things in videoing everything they do and reaching out to colleges seems like the most effective and cost efficient way in the area. However, everyone doesn't go to Ironton so now kids have to find another way. Is just going to these camps enough to get noticed given the location of where some of these athletes are coming from. Some will say if you're good enough they'll find you, not if you don't put yourself out there they're not. I've heard a lot about Darren JR. Recruiting some good and some really not so good as he focuses on the best athlete or 2 that he has and let's everyone just kind of fend for themselves, seems to be a lot of unhappy ppl and some are leaving him. So if he's not a viable option, is there another recruiting service in the area that can help these kids?? One would hope coaches would reach out and help but the reality is that's not going to happen as most simply don't have the contacts to pull that off and this leaves a lot of families asking so how do I help my kid?? Just curious the thoughts on this, if you had a kid that wanted to try to go to the next level what steps would you take??

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Re: Best way for kids to get noticed? Recruiter? Coach? Luck?

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

greygoose wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:41 pm There's been a few discussions on here about kids getting out there and getting recognized by colleges. So I thought I'd put the question out there as there's been talks about T. Galloway and the guy he's with Darren Junior Recruiting services and whether that's the best way or is it a money grabber. From what I've seen so far it seems like the way Ironton handles things in videoing everything they do and reaching out to colleges seems like the most effective and cost efficient way in the area. However, everyone doesn't go to Ironton so now kids have to find another way. Is just going to these camps enough to get noticed given the location of where some of these athletes are coming from. Some will say if you're good enough they'll find you, not if you don't put yourself out there they're not. I've heard a lot about Darren JR. Recruiting some good and some really not so good as he focuses on the best athlete or 2 that he has and let's everyone just kind of fend for themselves, seems to be a lot of unhappy ppl and some are leaving him. So if he's not a viable option, is there another recruiting service in the area that can help these kids?? One would hope coaches would reach out and help but the reality is that's not going to happen as most simply don't have the contacts to pull that off and this leaves a lot of families asking so how do I help my kid?? Just curious the thoughts on this, if you had a kid that wanted to try to go to the next level what steps would you take??
Social media. Social media. Social media.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Social media, camps, tapes.....

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Connections…Connections…Connections

Just like any job today. You better have a relationship with someone and they better trust you.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

🤣🤣🤣

Don’t do that to them TigerBob.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

Dumb Luck. :mrgreen:

JohnDenver
Riding the Bench

Post by JohnDenver »

Stay away from recruiting services, they only want your money, and most college coaches do not speak to these idiots. Social media, your high school coach (which they better have some connections), college camps (they work only if they know who you are ahead of time, unless you are that special and stand out), get on 247 and Rivals, but most importantly you have to be the BEST player on the field, PERIOD. Film doesn't lie.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Enroll at Ironton

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

Recruiting services are great if you 1. Don't want to do all the legwork yourself, and 2. You can actually afford them, and 3. You do your research into QUALITY services that limit the amount of clients they take on and provide quality service to everyone, not just the ones they're looking to ride coattails on. But they 100% are not necessary.

I highly recommend reading the book "Looking For a Full Ride?" by Renee Lopez as well as joining her FB group "Educating Parents of HS Athletes on the College Recruiting Process."

With that being said, Twitter and Instagram are the most valuable tools, as well as a QUALITY highlight reel on Hudl. Use those to market yourself.
Email your Hudl link, a short cover letter, and your insta and twitter handles to 10-12 different recruiting coordinators and coaches each week, from D1 FBS and FCS and on down to NAIA and JuCo. Then keep those social media accounts CLEAN. Follow coaches on Twitter. If they don't follow you back within a few weeks, unfollow them, and then re-follow them. They may have missed the notification the first time. Post frequently. Put your top 10-15 best plays on the Hudl reel. Make sure you can be clearly seen. Some coaches won't watch more than 3 or 4 plays, so lead off with your very best.

Then, you must go to camps to get eyes on you in person. Be personable. Be coachable. Learn how to take criticism. Be humble. There are some recruiting services that only focus on doing a camp circuit, but the rest of the social media legwork is up to you. There are "mega camps" hosted by a non-college but where there's 30+ colleges represented. There are position camps. And there are overall camps hosted by single colleges. All are worthy.

And most importantly - earn good grades. The whole point of getting athletic money to go to college is to earn a college degree while paying as little as possible for tuition. Be present physically and mentally for class. Study. Talk to your teachers and foster a good relationship with them. Get tutoring if needed. There should be zero shame in asking for help. One of the first things a college coach will ask a student athlete (or their high school coach) is what's the GPA and/or ACT/SAT scores. Demonstrate that school matters. Every year, only 1.6% of college football players make it to the NFL. SCHOOL MATTERS.

For non-football sports, things like Next College Student Athlete can be helpful, but they aren't necessary. (The fee associated with that is nominal, so worth it for some).

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ok that's some funny crap right there, but I already gave your coaches credit for what they're doing for their kids and like I said not everyone can head to Ironton.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

JohnDenver wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:32 am Stay away from recruiting services, they only want your money, and most college coaches do not speak to these idiots. Social media, your high school coach (which they better have some connections), college camps (they work only if they know who you are ahead of time, unless you are that special and stand out), get on 247 and Rivals, but most importantly you have to be the BEST player on the field, PERIOD. Film doesn't lie.
So then what is your thoughts on Darren Jr. Services he does have some guys he's helped but I'm not sure the number is very large and I've heard a lot of negative. He's got Tavion but Galloway has got close to 30 offers based on his potential and what he's done at these camps, not sure how much work the recruiter has put in towards it. I don't know that most HS coaches have those connections or the ability to put the time in needed to get colleges stopping in at their schools. Social media seems to be the #1 tool I've seen posted on here and have heard from others as well but you're relying that those colleges check those things.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

GoIrish wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:33 pm Recruiting services are great if you 1. Don't want to do all the legwork yourself, and 2. You can actually afford them, and 3. You do your research into QUALITY services that limit the amount of clients they take on and provide quality service to everyone, not just the ones they're looking to ride coattails on. But they 100% are not necessary.

I highly recommend reading the book "Looking For a Full Ride?" by Renee Lopez as well as joining her FB group "Educating Parents of HS Athletes on the College Recruiting Process."

With that being said, Twitter and Instagram are the most valuable tools, as well as a QUALITY highlight reel on Hudl. Use those to market yourself.
Email your Hudl link, a short cover letter, and your insta and twitter handles to 10-12 different recruiting coordinators and coaches each week, from D1 FBS and FCS and on down to NAIA and JuCo. Then keep those social media accounts CLEAN. Follow coaches on Twitter. If they don't follow you back within a few weeks, unfollow them, and then re-follow them. They may have missed the notification the first time. Post frequently. Put your top 10-15 best plays on the Hudl reel. Make sure you can be clearly seen. Some coaches won't watch more than 3 or 4 plays, so lead off with your very best.

Then, you must go to camps to get eyes on you in person. Be personable. Be coachable. Learn how to take criticism. Be humble. There are some recruiting services that only focus on doing a camp circuit, but the rest of the social media legwork is up to you. There are "mega camps" hosted by a non-college but where there's 30+ colleges represented. There are position camps. And there are overall camps hosted by single colleges. All are worthy.

And most importantly - earn good grades. The whole point of getting athletic money to go to college is to earn a college degree while paying as little as possible for tuition. Be present physically and mentally for class. Study. Talk to your teachers and foster a good relationship with them. Get tutoring if needed. There should be zero shame in asking for help. One of the first things a college coach will ask a student athlete (or their high school coach) is what's the GPA and/or ACT/SAT scores. Demonstrate that school matters. Every year, only 1.6% of college football players make it to the NFL. SCHOOL MATTERS.

For non-football sports, things like Next College Student Athlete can be helpful, but they aren't necessary. (The fee associated with that is nominal, so worth it for some).
That's actually a pretty good run down to be honest with you, I actually recommend staying away from Mega Camps though while there's 30 plus colleges there there's also 1,000 athletes there. Talked to guys that have gone to those and they simply get zero reps or will see 1 rep, haven't spoken to anyone that liked going to them after one. Mega camps probably work more if you're a known player and those colleges can see you but for the guy looking to make a name not getting any reps in simply won't work.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:06 pm Enroll at Ironton
What about your coaches at Jackson? What kind of connections do they have and are they successful in getting colleges to come into the schools or try to get them at practices like Ironton does? With Jackson being D3 I would hope they could. I believe C. Wolford has been hitting the camps and he's a stand out for sure at the RB position but have the coaches been doing any leg work for him?

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

greygoose wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:10 pm
What about your coaches at Jackson? What kind of connections do they have and are they successful in getting colleges to come into the schools or try to get them at practices like Ironton does? With Jackson being D3 I would hope they could. I believe C. Wolford has been hitting the camps and he's a stand out for sure at the RB position but have the coaches been doing any leg work for him?
Jackson coaches do a phenomenal job of getting kids who want to play football after high school seen. Wolford has many D1 offers already .

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

have parents that coach at Ohio University

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:40 am
Jackson coaches do a phenomenal job of getting kids who want to play football after high school seen. Wolford has many D1 offers already .
Outside of Wolford and Winters who else have they helped get to the next level and where are they at? Are they getting full scholarships or partials? Curious because I know certain schools say they have this person with a scholarship offer but leaving out the fact it's not a full-ride.

gobucs20
Freshman Team

Post by gobucs20 »

Send your kid to ironton. That will also cause grown men from wheelersburg to hyperventilate.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

greygoose wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:44 am
Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:40 am

Outside of Wolford and Winters who else have they helped get to the next level and where are they at? Are they getting full scholarships or partials? Curious because I know certain schools say they have this person with a scholarship offer but leaving out the fact it's not a full-ride.
You want to know everyone who has played college football under the current staff ? I don’t know each player’s specifics , that’s not anyone’s business.

Return to “Football”