Spartan Stadium

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Spartan Stadium

Post by Hoopster98 »

Heard some news on the radio that Spartan Stadium is a dire need of repairs. I know they are doing the electric, restrooms, and locker rooms. The way it was sounded is that those are just small repairs, compared to what actually needs to be done. Will this be done in enough time for the Titans to play or will they be playing somewhere else?

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Re: Spartan Stadium

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Surely if it unplayable they can work a deal with Portsmouth

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

I don't think Portsmouth and ND have the best relationship.

84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

They can patch it up , hell , Fairlands stadium was condemned in 84' and theyre still using it .

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Hoopster98 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:44 am Heard some news on the radio that Spartan Stadium is a dire need of repairs. I know they are doing the electric, restrooms, and locker rooms. The way it was sounded is that those are just small repairs, compared to what actually needs to be done. Will this be done in enough time for the Titans to play or will they be playing somewhere else?
The cheap ba$tards running the NFL should pony up and toss some money towards fixing up the stadium. It’s an historical structure that should be repaired. Plus, could be some good publicity for the NFL as well!

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

RBH23 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:13 pm
Hoopster98 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:44 am Heard some news on the radio that Spartan Stadium is a dire need of repairs. I know they are doing the electric, restrooms, and locker rooms. The way it was sounded is that those are just small repairs, compared to what actually needs to be done. Will this be done in enough time for the Titans to play or will they be playing somewhere else?
The cheap ba$tards running the NFL should pony up and toss some money towards fixing up the stadium. It’s an historical structure that should be repaired. Plus, could be some good publicity for the NFL as well!
Absolutely, I can’t believe the NFL don’t put up all of the money, it’s a part of its history, it’s the least they could do.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:35 pm
RBH23 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:13 pm
Absolutely, I can’t believe the NFL don’t put up all of the money, it’s a part of its history, it’s the least they could do.
Not sure about profit, but the NFL revenue for 2022-23 season was around $18B. Surely they could afford $5-$10MM to fix up Spartan stadium.

Places like that and Ironton’s Tank stadiums are classics and should always be treated as such. Part of football history!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I believe I posted the same thing a few years back about the NFL helping.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

I'd like to see the NFL help out. Awesome place that needs preserved.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Local Tax money should not be going to the Stadium with the only benefactor being Notre Dame, whom is a private school. ND has donors with the deepest pockets around. If upgrades are to benefit them, they should raise their own proceeds.

Leviticus
Riding the Bench

Post by Leviticus »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:15 am Local Tax money should not be going to the Stadium with the only benefactor being Notre Dame, whom is a private school. ND has donors with the deepest pockets around. If upgrades are to benefit them, they should raise their own proceeds.
ND is not the only group using Spartan Stadium. The semi-pro team port city Spartans, pee wee teams, friends of Portsmouth, and other events are all using Spartan Stadium.

on the black
Freshman Team

Post by on the black »

Meigs tried the "NFL" approach.
Their historic stadium got bulldozed.
Be careful what you wish for.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ppl thinking the NFL should help pay for the upkeep or renovations on the stadium are simply fooling themselves. Why on earth would they, I mean what obligation do they have to it? None, team leaves cities they don't keep trying to take care of those stadiums. If there was any way to get some help from the NFL it would be to locals reaching out to the Lions in hopes that they might help to preserve their history. To just say the NFL as a whole should pony up is a crazy thought.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

It’s in such bad shape that to really fix it would cost a ton. More than any donations from ND, tax dollars from the city whatever. I remember when I played and there would be rats in the locker rooms, toilets wouldn’t flush, it would flood really bad, the track was coming up and was a walking hazard, the electric wasn’t good. These are just a few things from way back then. I’d imagine it’s only gotten worse since then. It’s a shame but I don’t think it’ll ever be fixed up to what many people expect.

Who Dey!
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

greygoose wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:22 am Ppl thinking the NFL should help pay for the upkeep or renovations on the stadium are simply fooling themselves. Why on earth would they, I mean what obligation do they have to it? None, team leaves cities they don't keep trying to take care of those stadiums. If there was any way to get some help from the NFL it would be to locals reaching out to the Lions in hopes that they might help to preserve their history. To just say the NFL as a whole should pony up is a crazy thought.
The NFL has no obligation at all to do this. It would strictly be for historical, tax, and/or good publicity purposes.

But the NFL definitely could afford it. They spend far more money on worse things!

Easyrider
Waterboy

Post by Easyrider »

Maybe sometimes we just need to appreciate things for what the are. As long as the facility is deemed safe of course for players, fans and staff. Never played there but have had the honor of officiating some games on that storied field. Our crew always looked forward to doing a game there when it came up on our schedule. Walking into that concrete structure to our locker room is like being transported back into time. Sorta reminded me of my Navy days when they would light those concrete structures up for us for our fire fighting training. Stepping out on that field on a Friday night with a touch of fog present you can still imagine "Popeye" Wagner delivering a crushing block for Chuck Bennet to break loose for a long gainer or catch a glimpse of Red Grange or Bronko Nagurski headed for the end zone. Spartan Stadium probably will never have the latest and greatest amenities or that you can go get a latte from the concession but it has so much more than most if we allow ourselves to be content with it storied history and hopefully the kids that get to play there will be reminded of the great ones that have played there as well.

Buckeye1972
Freshman Team

Post by Buckeye1972 »

If my knowledge of the Portsmouth Spartans is correct, they never played in the Stadium. I don't think the concrete was poured until after they left for Detroit. They played on the field with the stands being bleachers. I have been to Spartan Stadium a lot of times over the last 4 decades. Yes, the structure is becoming worse. The concrete in some areas is almost disintegrating. To fix the problems would be economically tough to do. I would almost go back to the original format. Tear down the concrete seating areas and put up bleachers. The availability of funds - I heard it was in the neighborhood of $5 million is not there.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Buckeye1972 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:38 pm If my knowledge of the Portsmouth Spartans is correct, they never played in the Stadium. I don't think the concrete was poured until after they left for Detroit. They played on the field with the stands being bleachers. I have been to Spartan Stadium a lot of times over the last 4 decades. Yes, the structure is becoming worse. The concrete in some areas is almost disintegrating. To fix the problems would be economically tough to do. I would almost go back to the original format. Tear down the concrete seating areas and put up bleachers. The availability of funds - I heard it was in the neighborhood of $5 million is not there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQL7N93AOKo

BiddyBallDaddy
Freshman Team

Post by BiddyBallDaddy »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:15 am Local Tax money should not be going to the Stadium with the only benefactor being Notre Dame, which is a private school. ND has donors with the deepest pockets around. If upgrades are to benefit them, they should raise their own proceeds.

ND does have donors, but not $5-$10 million dollars amongst a few that do have money. Portsmouth High School used the stadium for years and left as soon as they were "given" money for a new stadium/school. So, Notre Dame leaning on taxpayers money is hardly a handout and just as someone else said, it benefits many other teams/organizations. The school relies on donors to keep the school running and pay its bills to provide an education that is far better than a lot of other schools (check the test scores) and is proven. So sorry that a school levy isn't able to be formed and used like all other schools do to create funding for a new building.

It would be fantastic if the NFL would donate to preserve a stadium once used by one of their "teams" and the first-night football game. But, we all know that it won't happen so the next idea will need to be used to gather funds.

Glad you're so open to seeing other schools succeed as well as seeing a historic structure preserved.

Old Shorts
Freshman Team

Post by Old Shorts »

BiddyBallDaddy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:57 pm
SWHITE2002 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:15 am Local Tax money should not be going to the Stadium with the only benefactor being Notre Dame, which is a private school. ND has donors with the deepest pockets around. If upgrades are to benefit them, they should raise their own proceeds.

ND does have donors, but not $5-$10 million dollars amongst a few that do have money. Portsmouth High School used the stadium for years and left as soon as they were "given" money for a new stadium/school. So, Notre Dame leaning on taxpayers money is hardly a handout and just as someone else said, it benefits many other teams/organizations. The school relies on donors to keep the school running and pay its bills to provide an education that is far better than a lot of other schools (check the test scores) and is proven. So sorry that a school levy isn't able to be formed and used like all other schools do to create funding for a new building.

It would be fantastic if the NFL would donate to preserve a stadium once used by one of their "teams" and the first-night football game. But, we all know that it won't happen so the next idea will need to be used to gather funds.

Glad you're so open to seeing other schools succeed as well as seeing a historic structure preserved.
Have to agree with you daddy ball. It would be a shame to see the old girl torn down though.

"Rocking a pair of 1985 gray coaching shorts that are now yellow in the front and brown in the back" :D

Return to “Football”