August 18, 2023 Ironton 17 - 14 Wheelersburg

RBH23
S

Re: Wheelersburg @ Ironton Week 1

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:50 pm It’s very ironic after all of RB23 talk of recruits that’s the Portsmouth recruit was Wheelersburg best player. 😂
Why is it ironic? No one from Burg attempted to recruit Lattimore.

So how did he end up at Burg? His mom chose Burg because she wanted to get him away from his troubles in Portsmouth, but she didn’t want to move too far away; it’s still home to her. Burg ended up with him by the luck of geography.

Love it when a Jackson fan gets on a Burg-Ironton thread to talk smack. Can’t remember the last time I hopped on a Jackson thread to talk smack. Oh that’s right, NEVER! LOL!!

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Unbiased opinion here. No dog in the fight.
I plopped on the couch and caught the last few plays.
My head scratching is what happened with the 4th and goal call? Does Ironton not have a kicker? Even if not that had to be one of the worst play calls I think I have ever seen with scenario considerstion. Am I alone on this? I haven’t read sh*t on here. 23 pages? JC fellas!
Last edited by CavalierAlum05 on Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:18 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:50 pm It’s very ironic after all of RB23 talk of recruits that’s the Portsmouth recruit was Wheelersburg best player. 😂

So how did he end up at Burg? His mom chose Burg because she wanted to get him away from his troubles in Portsmouth, but she didn’t want to move too far away; it’s still home to her. Burg ended up with him by the luck of geography.

Love it when a Jackson fan gets on a Burg-Ironton thread to talk smack. Can’t remember the last time I hopped on a Jackson thread to talk smack. Oh that’s right, NEVER! LOL!!
He was 💯 recruited by Wheelersburg. You just don’t want to believe it.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

:ugeek:
TomUnessa wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:26 pm
wobycat wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:57 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:22 am Completely unbiased viewpoint….

I thought both teams flashed a ton of potential. I don’t think Ironton has the overall horses of their last few state championship game runs, but maybe they’ll prove me wrong. Terry is an absolute beast. I’m very confused what’s going on with the Pittman kid? He got a lot of hype and supposedly had an offer from UK…. but???

Burgs offense is going to be a serious problem as the season goes on. Lattimore was a big time move in for Burg, that kid can play and gives Rucker a tremendous target. The sophomore WR’s will continue to get better, Evans kid could be special also. Rucker made a couple silly passes in tight windows but that happens with young QBs. He’ll watch the film and learn from it.

I’d love to see these two teams meet again in the Regional. I will say, Ironton has more offensive question marks going forward than Burg does. Burg’s young QB is only going to get better and will begin featuring Lattimore even more. If I’m Ironton I’m happy with the win (obviously) but would focus on making the team more disciplined moving forward before it costs them a game.
This is a good take. Ironton has a good team but their depth is an issue. Once burg figures out how they are going to run the ball, everything else will open up. Both these teams are very good.
Would you give Maxie more carries ? Especially in short yardage situations. I noticed Darling didn’t run ball. Weird since kid been carrying ball since he was sophomore
I think burgs game plan was to try to get it out to the edge with their receivers enough to cause running lanes for the warren kid to run through. That looked to break down so they had to try on the fly to fix their game plan. I think they are a running team with a qb who can throw. But the coaches see way more than the average fan so you’ve got to trust them to figure out what works and what doesn’t.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:52 pm

A person very close to him said that Burg did not recruit him. So what do you know that his own family does not know?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

No he wasn’t. I don’t need to say anything on here to prove it, just I know he wasn’t

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

wobycat wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:00 pm :ugeek:
TomUnessa wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:26 pm
wobycat wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:57 pm

This is a good take. Ironton has a good team but their depth is an issue. Once burg figures out how they are going to run the ball, everything else will open up. Both these teams are very good.
Would you give Maxie more carries ? Especially in short yardage situations. I noticed Darling didn’t run ball. Weird since kid been carrying ball since he was sophomore
I think burgs game plan was to try to get it out to the edge with their receivers enough to cause running lanes for the warren kid to run through. That looked to break down so they had to try on the fly to fix their game plan. I think they are a running team with a qb who can throw. But the coaches see way more than the average fan so you’ve got to trust them to figure out what works and what doesn’t.
These quick passes out to wide receivers work well against inferior opponents where said receivers can often break tackles or make opponents miss. But these passes do not work well against good teams such as Ironton. Even during the Holden days, it was the same.

That said, in your opinion, why in the hell do Burg coaches keep relying on these plays that do not work well against good competition? I believe you are correct about this being the game plan, but I truly cannot understand why we keep going to the same failed plan!!

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:03 pm

A person very close to him said that Burg did not recruit him. So what do you know that his own family does not know?
My sources say he was recruited. So he was .

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

First game, two best teams in the area…both will prosper and go far in the tournament! Got to love Southern Ohio Football!!

"Come on Dave, give me a break" Ted Templeton UNCHAINED!
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:18 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:03 pm

My sources say he was recruited. So he was .
Sounds like your source and your childhood imaginary friend have something in common.

sportphotos
JV Team

Post by sportphotos »

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

I said earlier, throw the ball around and you see what happens. If you can't do it well, don't do it. The Burg can't do it well.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

LETS NOT START THE RECRUITEMENT CRAP OVER AGAIN.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

callie15 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:14 am I said earlier, throw the ball around and you see what happens. If you can't do it well, don't do it. The Burg can't do it well.
Agree. Most teams don’t have success with those short passes when going up against other talented teams. Truly wish Burg would move away from that and the jet sweep when playing teams like Ironton that have speed to neutralize these plays.

SPelf
Freshman Team

Post by SPelf »

3 things…

1.) hell of a game

2.) Ironton and Burg are 15-11 against each other since 2000. This is a great and close series. Most are tight games. It’s great.

3.) questioning coaching kills me. Woodward is 151-37 as burg coach. 81% winning. The man and their staff know what they’re doing.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

SPelf wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:39 am 3 things…

1.) hell of a game

2.) Ironton and Burg are 15-11 against each other since 2000. This is a great and close series. Most are tight games. It’s great.

3.) questioning coaching kills me. Woodward is 151-37 as burg coach. 81% winning. The man and their staff know what they’re doing.
BINGO 🎯

Said same thing all weekend. Pendleton is 58-11 as Hc at Ironton. He lost 5 of the 11 games his first season after getting the job in May. Including 3 losses in State Championship games. That’s an 84% winning percentage. I think it’s safe to say 99% of the programs in the state would take them both. They both know what they are doing.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

XandOs wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:51 am

1.) hell of a game

BINGO 🎯

Said same thing all weekend. Pendleton is 58-11 as Hc at Ironton. He lost 5 of the 11 games his first season after getting the job in May. Including 3 losses in State Championship games. That’s an 84% winning percentage. I think it’s safe to say 99% of the programs in the state would take them both. They both know what they are doing.
I’ll add Jackson’s staff as well. Haven’t made the playoff runs but still a very good record.

-117-38 overall
-10 years in playoffs
-9 conference championships
-8.5 wins per year

Agree 💯 , these staffs know what they’re doing. No staff is “superior”. You win some you lose some.

Good luck 🍀

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

1.) hell of a game

Woodward is a very good coach and has been very successful, but there were and have been mistakes, especially on the offense, that should be called out and need addressed.

- First possession, Ironton gifted Burg a great scoring opportunity due to penalties. Worse case, Burg should have come away with 3 points, but the coaches call a play that has the young QB throwing into the end zone close to the goal line which can be very tricky. The result? An interception! He should not have been throwing in that situation, period!

- A few series later, nearly the same mistake is made but this time it’s the backup QB throwing into the end zone. Again, a terrible call!

- Burg’s O deficiencies are not new. As someone pointed out, Burg has scored zero points in the second half in the past two games against Ironton and HP, and scored zero in the second half against West last year. Despite decent talent, the coaches do not have the O performing like it should. Problems from play calling to game planning…

- As for the 4th and 3 decision, that’s a judgement call. I would have went for it, but there’s no right or wrong decision in that case. Have to go with your gut.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

XandOs wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:51 am

1.) hell of a game

BINGO 🎯

Burg and Ironton should be winning titles like ML, Coldwater, and Kirtland. Burg and IHS both have as good or even better talent, both schools have incredible support and facilities, and both schools have plenty of kids that want to play football.

So why are they not winning at that level? For Burg, it’s the style of offense. It doesn’t work well against really good teams and opens the team to potentially devastating mistakes. The mistakes from the IHS game are prime examples. Kirtland and ML simply do not throw two end-zone interceptions. They don’t make those mistakes.

As for IHS, their problems are penalties and lack of discipline at times. Again, they almost gave Burg the game due to their penalties; and this is not the first time this has happened. Also, Pendleton’s/OC’s play calling on the second to last drive of the game should be shown to other coaches as to what not to do when winning at the end. That was simply god awful. Mistakes Kirtland and ML coaches NEVER make!

And before people hop on here to say “but we can’t compete against those schools…”, keep in mind that ML has won all of their state titles under one coach, same with Kirtland. Coldwater has won theirs under two coaches. So obviously winning starts with the right coach.

Also, we have seem similar dominance in other sports from SEO. Estep’s baseball teams at Burg, and now Ruby’s softball team. And what do both have in common? Their teams never beat themselves. Their fundamentals are incredible! That’s what Burg and IHS football are lacking With regards to being the very best.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

man, tough loss for the Burg. Ironton tried everything they could to hand this one over. So many penalties.

as far as coaching, both HC's records speak for themselves. I don't think either program would trade their HC for anyone else on the market.

Return to “Football”