August 17, 2023 Portsmouth 59 - 29 Valley

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

August 17, 2023 Portsmouth 59 - 29 Valley

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Thursday night kickoff to the season for these 2 schools per usual. What’s everyone’s thoughts on this years matchup? Trojans lost quite a bit, I’m thinking something like 11 seniors and most if not all played/started. Projected starting QB won’t be at QB due to injury, not as many weapons this year. The line on both sides of the ball will need to show up, but I think that may be the strength of this years Trojans. Don’t know much about Valley but I know they lost a few key guys, including their QB. I think I’ll go Portsmouth since they are at home, but could be a toss up.

Nicknevada86
Varsity

Re: Week 1: Valley @ Portsmouth

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Phs 34
Valley 13

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Valley is extremely young this year and Portsmouth lost quite a bit from last years team. Trojans 28 Valley 7

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

First time in years I have some doubts about the Trojans offense. With that said, I think they win this game with solid defense and running the ball. Go Trojans!

Who Dey!
Sensible Steve
Waterboy

Post by Sensible Steve »

One of the better matchups of week 1, I like the Thursday kickoff as everyone is ready to watch local high school football. I feel it is a toss up but I will take Portsmouth 27 Valley 21.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Nicknevada86 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:43 pm Phs 34
Valley 13
Sounds about right.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
baseballfanatic76
Waterboy

Post by baseballfanatic76 »

Ptown lost their projected qb but this wont factor in this game because they are going to run it down valley throat, 27-14 portsmouth

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Valley only has 1 senior and he is not a starter they do have a good qb and a great rb but no depth at all this game will be out of hand by the half

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Valley has some skill guys, they will make plays and score some points. Question is going to be the line. Not sure what Portsmouth has, but I'm hoping this game is closer than everyone is expecting. I wouldn't even be surprised if Valley comes out with the victory. Valley has a solid RB, QB with a good arm and some WR's that got minutes last year and made catches. Of course it will be hard to replace all the seniors Valley lost. They will look different this year, but they will compete in this game I think.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

This game will be a toss up. I think Portsmouth comes out with the victory due to depth. Valley is not very deep, I do think Valley has some athletes and a like transplant said their skilled guys can make plays. Just based off experience I have to go with the Trojans but don't be surprised if Valley comes away with the upset.

21-14 PHS.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

I think Valley out lasts the Trojans to get the W.

WWE HALL OF FAME
jujubean
Freshman Team

Post by jujubean »

I know you can't put a lot of stock in scrimmages because teams don't reveal too much, but based on how P-town handled Waverly, I'd say the Trojans in this one. Valley can't score if they don't have the ball and the Trojan run game keeps the clock rolling.

ValleyStrong
Freshman Team

Post by ValleyStrong »

I do not know much about PHS this year, but know they always have speed, and a scrappy line. Valley is very young, but has several playmakers at reciever, a young deceptive back, and an ace for qb with a decent back up. Valley lacks size and depth on the front line, which we all know games are determined in the trenches. The playmakers can strike on either side of the ball, and one reciever should definitely be a D-1 prospect if given enough opportunities. The front on offense and defense will be the determining factor for the entire season. Good Luck to the young Indians.
Last edited by ValleyStrong on Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baseballfanatic76
Waterboy

Post by baseballfanatic76 »

Is valley actually a team to watch out for? I thought they lost EVERYONE id love a great game but i dont see that happening this year

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

baseballfanatic76 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:19 pm Is valley actually a team to watch out for? I thought they lost EVERYONE id love a great game but i dont see that happening this year
Not really they have some really good skill positions but no lines they will be well coached but in the end they will be lucky to win 3-4 games

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Valley has some kids coming....but itll be a tough year...but they will compete.

The energy and culture at Valley has turned a corner, facilities good, etc..etc...

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I think in 2 years if they get the numbers valley could complete for the soc title again they have to develop some depth they have the kids coming up so maybe with a few transfers who knows I just know things are looking up for them and if they come out playing as tough as they did in the last 3rd of the season they will surprise some teams sure most of those players are gone but they taught the young players a lot

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

The RB they have now with the help of Coach Keller could potentially be the best to come out of there. IMO at this point Keller is the best ever.

WWE HALL OF FAME
Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

I get excited for this game every year, bc its the kickoff to the season, go and then ask myself why I just tortured myself watching two terrible programs.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:12 am I get excited for this game every year, bc its the kickoff to the season, go and then ask myself why I just tortured myself watching two terrible programs.
Don’t go watch them if they are so terrible assclown. Valley have had some down years as of recently but they had lots of success for a long period of time under the old Crabtree. Kalb has turned Portsmouth around big time. They were winning 3 games and hadn’t made playoffs since 07. He has them winning 6-7 games and making playoffs, and winning.

Return to “Football”