September 1, 2023 Portsmouth West 49 - 34 Hillsboro

Post by Nicknevada86 »

West 28
Hills 21

SiderBlood
All Conference

Re: Week 3 Hillsboro at west

Post by SiderBlood »

Really don’t know much about Hillsboro at all. They are Division 3, and remember beating them pretty handily a few years ago. I know typically football kind of goes on the back burner in that part of state. But not going to underestimate just off of the bigger school size in itself.

I would like to see us capitalize on oppurtunitues this week. Definitely start opening the playcalling some. As weeks progress if we do not diversify the portfolio, we are going to become extremely easy to prepare for. And get going a little sooner. I admire the comeback attitude and everything but it would be nice to get a good lead and keep it this week.

Not a whole lot of history here. West is 3-2 all time. 1946 was Wests inaugural season and lost that year and 1947. Only one game played since 1950. A 43-14 West win in 2020.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Goatreturns
Waterboy

Post by Goatreturns »

West finding their groove winning this one easily.
Last edited by Goatreturns on Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Anyone know anything at all on Hillsboro?

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

SiderBlood wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:36 pm Anyone know anything at all on Hillsboro?
They're better than some may think on here. They fought Mt Orab (Western Brown) tooth and nail plus they destroyed Goshen. The Western Broncos usually beat Jackson yearly and are no slouch of a program. The HC is the son of Hillsboro's legendary HC of 35 years (Jim Horn.) I wouldn't be surprised if they give West all they want and more. I'll be in attendance tonight out on the Westside, b/c I think this is the game of the week in Scioto Co.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

vladimir wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:28 pm
SiderBlood wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:36 pm Anyone know anything at all on Hillsboro?
They're better than some may think on here. They fought Mt Orab (Western Brown) tooth and nail plus they destroyed Goshen. The Western Broncos usually beat Jackson yearly and are no slouch of a program. The HC is the son of Hillsboro's legendary HC of 35 years (Jim Horn.) I wouldn't be surprised if they give West all they want and more. I'll be in attendance tonight out on the Westside, b/c I think this is the game of the week in Scioto Co.
This game concerns me a little bit. I’m leaning more in agreement with you. Hope we show up and don’t get caught sleepin

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

SiderBlood wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:36 pm
vladimir wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:28 pm
This game concerns me a little bit. I’m leaning more in agreement with you. Hope we show up and don’t get caught sleepin'.
49-34 West
West was in control of the game most of the night, but it was a shootout at times and Hillsboro refused to go away. The key point was in the 3rd quarter where Hillsboro almost had a 20-unanswered point swing, but they were stopped on downs at the West 2-yard line. Two plays later, West takes the ball 98 yards for a TD.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
mattash
Site Admin

Re: September 1, 2023 Portsmouth West 49 - 34 Hillsboro

Post by mattash »

September 1, 2023 Portsmouth West 49 - 34 Hillsboro

West Side with some strong 0 so far this year.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Golfer23
Waterboy

Post by Golfer23 »

West defense playing well 357 tackles in 3 games!!
5 kids averaging over 10 tackles a game! Pretty solid

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Pretty wild game last night all in all. First play from scrimmage, Wests Mason Parker busts one right up the middle 88 yards to the house. An onside kick attempt is taken down the sideline to inside the 3, one play later Hillsboro punches it in. That would be very foretelling of the game to come. I have not got to see the final stats but they are not for the defensive minded folks. West pretty much controlled the game from the very start, but Hillsboro never quit at all. They run the wing t to perfection, utilize great ball fakes and misdirections. They are going to get us some points, that’s not a bad football team by any stretch. Number 9 runs hard.

This game turned out to be a pretty good non conference test. We opened up the playbook some and it helped. Tipton missed some throws but he also had some good throws. Pleased to see him getting some experience, that’s the only way you can get it. Line dominated , I seen several pancakes blocks and down field blocking. Bishop and Parker are monsters. Different style runners but they can hurt you just the same. A lot of talking from Hillsboro players resulted in us getting baited into some costly personal fouls. I can say that confidently because I honestly can’t remember the last time West has had more than 2 in a game in several years. We need to clean those up. Kick coverage is a straight up liability. They try to give the starters a break, so a lot of first times out there. Use to be if you got to get out there as a freshmen or soph you was trying your all to make a play to prove something. They all look scared of contact to me which is resulting in huge holes and easy cuts for the return man. Gonna have to switch personnel around. 2-1 with a heart breaker week one is pretty good. A lot of people on here were predicting a fall off from last year. We are not the same team , but I do think we are a threat to just about everyone and a pretty good football club. We got some work to do, but we are turning into a scoring machine. Depth worries me the most. As the season progresses we are not going to be able to afford any key injuries. Keep on rolling Siders, good job. If anyone has any stats could you please post em

Olebud
Waterboy

Post by Olebud »

507 yards total rushing, i believe Parker had 257 of them, Bishop was a lil over a 100 and right at 100 receiving.

Return to “Football”