Notre Dame Titans 2023

Ronnie Raygun
Waterboy

Re: Nd bout to go ud (undefeated)

Post by Ronnie Raygun »

I don't know where people get that the wing T is an out-of-date offence. There are many successful teams who run it that win state titles on a regular basis such as Clinton Massie, Kirtland, Avon, to name a few. It's an offence that is an equalizer if you have less talent than teams that you tend to play because it's hard to stop and you can keep the ball away from high powered offensive teams. Success in football isn't always about the type of offense of defense you run. It's about how you execute. Running offences are typically easier to execute to perfection than more high-powered offensive schemes.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

No I completely agree a lot of successful teams use it. If ND would of been winning like those teams above then nobody would be talking about how outdated the wing t is. The fact that they were not winning and still running it is why it's considered outdated. Alos, outdated meaning not a lot of teams run it. Most teams try to run the spread when they have no business running the spread. That is why Coach Ashley ran the wing t because they did not have the size upfront to run a ground and pound offense and did not have the QB to throw the football.

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

Hoopster98 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:08 am I'd like to know who he catered to? Every kid he played should of been playing, not one kid on the sideline should of been playing over anybody on the field. Heck, the biggest donor pulled his grandson not because of playing time. I think you should get your facts straight about him catering to players. Only position I could see would of been the QB but in the offense he ran, you need your stud as a RB or WR not at QB.

I watched ND play Eastern Meigs and Williamsburg, I believe ND will have trouble with any team that can throw or run the ball outside. Eastern Meigs got outside all night long due to DE not keeping contain and DB getting sucked in. Also, not a lot of speed on that ND defense. Secondary struggles to guard the deep ball. Offensively, I'd like to see more simple throws Hitch, Slant, Out, PA with a drag route instead of going for the deep ball every possession. Once you get the short passes down then go down field. Maybe I'm just old school pass routes but their passing games looks like Madden throwing it deep every play. Davis runs hard which would great going under center for a PA. Until ND beats someone good, you can't say ND is better without Coach Ashley. As you can tell, I'm a Coach Ashley supporter. I do believe his offense was boring during his 2nd run at ND. If you look at it, he didn't start running the Wing T then Shotgun Wing T until about his 3rd or 4th year into his 2nd run at ND. He started this because of the team he had and knew he couldn't line up and go at you. The last 3 years at ND he did have some athletes that could of did more things.
Let’s address the wing t first. It can be a good offense, with a team that can run it. Ashley ran it for years and only had 1 team that ran it successfully. Also, it is very easy to defend against, mostly from just disrupting the backfield. He’s not had the guards to pull and block. All that being said, he still ran the wing t without any adjustments.

As far as catering to players (donors), he did. Mostly who got the ball and when. Run numbers up for one player instead of spreading the ball around. When it was a tough team the “stud” player didn’t get the ball, another player took the punishment, until the tough team put their second team in and the “stud” player got his 100 yards and couple of TD’s. Easy teams stud player stayed in all game and for 25 touches and 200+ yards. Yes, biggest donor took his player elsewhere and not because of playing time. The last kid that quit was a “stud” running back under Ashley that got moved to the line where he belonged, because he was no longer catered to.
We can let the Ashley bashing go, move on and support ND and the new coach (or give him hell if he deserves it), but as long as it keeps coming up, it’s going to keep being addressed!

"Come on Dave, give me a break" Ted Templeton UNCHAINED!
Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

but you never have gave an answer on why ND continues to throw deep passes instead of running shorter routes and better ways to get Cassidy the ball? Also, noticed you didn't say anything about the secondary of ND? Wonder why

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Question with the ‘donor’ thing: was this not something that could’ve been brick-walled by the administration? In that, I don’t really see how any coach in that situation is going to just willingly let the opportunity bogarting (or access to snaps being bought and paid for) happen if there’s an administration that supports the coach wanting to play the best players. Did the admin not have Ashley’s back on this, and instead kow-towed to the donor family?

In theory, between … donor family : administration : coach, the admin is an intermediate actor. Was Ashley in a situation where his security was on the line if he didn’t feed the donor family as heavily as he did? Seems like he was in a lose-lose if so.

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

Hoopster98 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:29 pm but you never have gave an answer on why ND continues to throw deep passes instead of running shorter routes and better ways to get Cassidy the ball? Also, noticed you didn't say anything about the secondary of ND? Wonder why
I totally agree Cassidy needs to get the ball. I don’t believe he needs to be at WR! Shorter passes are more effective. Good passing teams will pick apart ND’s secondary, luckily we won’t be playing any more good passing teams. You don’t need to wonder! Just ask the question.

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:53 pm Question with the ‘donor’ thing: was this not something that could’ve been brick-walled by the administration? In that, I don’t really see how any coach in that situation is going to just willingly let the opportunity bogarting (or access to snaps being bought and paid for) happen if there’s an administration that supports the coach wanting to play the best players. Did the admin not have Ashley’s back on this, and instead kow-towed to the donor family?

In theory, between … donor family : administration : coach, the admin is an intermediate actor. Was Ashley in a situation where his security was on the line if he didn’t feed the donor family as heavily as he did? Seems like he was in a lose-lose if so.
[/quot

At times the administration and the donor families are one in the same. At one time part of the administration was actually his wife. But most importantly, if his security was on the line that means there were players that were screwed over for his security! Seems like a lose-lose for the student athlete!

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

RiverBallFan1 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:57 pm
Hoopster98 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:29 pm but you never have gave an answer on why ND continues to throw deep passes instead of running shorter routes and better ways to get Cassidy the ball? Also, noticed you didn't say anything about the secondary of ND? Wonder why
I totally agree Cassidy needs to get the ball. I don’t believe he needs to be at WR! Shorter passes are more effective. Good passing teams will pick apart ND’s secondary, luckily we won’t be playing any more good passing teams. You don’t need to wonder! Just ask the question.
Does Eastern put the ball in the air? Hopefully ND can get back on track this week and push for conference and a playoff spot. I'm an ND supporter and hope nothing but the best. I am just stating what I've seen. If ND does not win this week, will it be difficult for them to make a playoff push?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

RiverBallFan1 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:02 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:53 pm Question with the ‘donor’ thing: was this not something that could’ve been brick-walled by the administration? In that, I don’t really see how any coach in that situation is going to just willingly let the opportunity bogarting (or access to snaps being bought and paid for) happen if there’s an administration that supports the coach wanting to play the best players. Did the admin not have Ashley’s back on this, and instead kow-towed to the donor family?

At times the administration and the donor families are one and the same. At one time part of the administration was actually his wife. But most importantly, if his security was on the line that means there were players that were screwed over for his security! Seems like a lose-lose for the student athlete!
Yep. I get it. It’s terrible for everyone when that happens.

Appreciate your reply. Help tied in the missing link on that situation.

BillyBob21
Freshman Team

Post by BillyBob21 »

I agree Cassidy should get the ball more but I also think part of the issue is the youth of the quarterback being a sophmore and locking on the deep route instead of underneath routes. Multiple time the shorter route was wide open but he threw to the deep route that was double covered.
I think the secondary is a little week cause there is a freshman starting and another one or two sophomores. I don’t care what school you are facing if they have junior and senior wide receivers you’re gonna have trouble. ND would have had another junior and senior starting at DB positions but they chose basketball over football this year and never came out.
Again the too teams ND lost too would have been beat by whoever was coaching period! With the numbers ND has they are doing a great job battling each week. And with that said, they will be a contender for SOC1 this year with it coming down to the Eastern Pike/ND game being the decider.
Just my opinion

BillyBob21
Freshman Team

Post by BillyBob21 »

Hoopster98 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:14 pm
Does Eastern put the ball in the air? Hopefully ND can get back on track this week and push for conference and a playoff spot. I'm an ND supporter and hope nothing but the best. I am just stating what I've seen. If ND does not win this week, will it be difficult for them to make a playoff push?
At worst they can go 5-5 on the year. They made it the playoffs last year at 5-5 so 5-5 would probably get them in but I look for them to go no lower than 7-3. Again my personal opinion!

Goatreturns
Waterboy

Post by Goatreturns »

I think the DB problem really lies with the D-line and LBs absolutely never getting any pressure in the backfield. Without pressure any decent QB will pick apart a defense. Has the defensive scheme changed?
Ashley ran up certain stats for certain players (who’s parents paid for things, we’re on boards, or played for him.) I do not think it occurred to him that all those losses would keep him from coaching at any real football school.

Goatreturns
Waterboy

Post by Goatreturns »

Goatreturns wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:10 pm I think the DB problem really lies with the D-line and LBs absolutely never getting any pressure in the backfield. Without pressure any decent QB will pick apart a defense. Has the defensive scheme changed?
Ashley ran up certain stats for certain players (who’s parents paid for things, were on boards, or played for him.) I do not think it occurred to him that all those losses would keep him from coaching at any real football school.

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

First, I think the winner of this game wins the SOC. I’m giving the edge to ND, I think they are more talented but numbers and age could hurt them.
Playoffs, I don’t know if it’s a good thing or bad thing but just about everyone makes the playoffs. ND was .500 last year and made the playoffs and played at Green first round. I’m predicting ND to be 8-2…7-3 at worst with a deserved playoff spot and probably at home. GO ND!

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

South Gallia won’t really be an indicator of ND. Same type of team like Manchester. Hopefully it helps the team mentally after two tough team losses. Saturday night game too!

Easyrider
Waterboy

Post by Easyrider »

Don't sleep on the Rebels....they played Reedsville Eastern tooth and nail until Eastern pulled away late..game was much closely contested than the final score indicated. I think this game can go either way by less than a score....

smallbean
Waterboy

Post by smallbean »

nd will take a loss at home this week against the rebels and the amount they lose by will show us how many games they will win on the rest of the season.

Calvin
Freshman Team

Post by Calvin »

Is ND still never punting and always onside kicking? Or was getting his assz handed to him a few games in a row enough for the coach to learn not to do that?

Celebrating wins over the most hated.
Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

RiverBallFan1 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:50 pm

First, I think the winner of this game wins the SOC. I’m giving the edge to ND, I think they are more talented but numbers and age could hurt them.
Playoffs, I don’t know if it’s a good thing or bad thing but just about everyone makes the playoffs. ND was .500 last year and made the playoffs and played at Green first round. I’m predicting ND to be 8-2…7-3 at worst with a deserved playoff spot and probably at home. GO ND!
I don't like the playoff where everyone gets in (top 16). If trying to build a program its great for something to build on but I don't like teams celebrating they made they playoff when your not in the top 8. I consider first round games a play in game then after the 1st round you have officially made the playoffs. In smaller divisions it's a big difference in seeds but in bigger divisions it's not as bad.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

BillyBob21 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:52 pm
I agree Cassidy should get the ball more but I also think part of the issue is the youth of the quarterback being a sophmore and locking on the deep route instead of underneath routes. Multiple time the shorter route was wide open but he threw to the deep route that was double covered.
I think the secondary is a little week cause there is a freshman starting and another one or two sophomores. I don’t care what school you are facing if they have junior and senior wide receivers you’re gonna have trouble. ND would have had another junior and senior starting at DB positions but they chose basketball over football this year and never came out.
Again the too teams ND lost too would have been beat by whoever was coaching period! With the numbers ND has they are doing a great job battling each week. And with that said, they will be a contender for SOC1 this year with it coming down to the Eastern Pike/ND game being the decider.
Just my opinion
I agree having a freshman back there is the mismatch and i think teams are starting to see that on film. 14-15 year olds trying to cover 17-19 year olds will not result in a good outcome. That's why I said no matter who the coach was their record would still be the same. You can always add shorter routes in the playbook and not even have a deep route so that eliminates your QB for always wanting the deep ball.

Return to “Football”