September 22, 2023 Portsmouth 14 - 6 Coal Grove

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

September 22, 2023 Portsmouth 14 - 6 Coal Grove

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Coal Grove travels down 52 to take on the Trojans Friday night. The hornets come into this game with a 4-1 record, their only blemish being a 13 point loss to South Point week 4. Coal Grove has beaten Greenup County Ky, Lucasville Valley, Meigs, and Chesapeake. Those schools have a combined record of 8-12.

The Trojans come into this game with a 2-3 record, a trouncing last week at Gallia will have them wanting to get back on track. They have defeated Lucasville Valley & Rock Hill who have a combined record of 2-8. They have fallen to Greenup County Ky, Portsmouth West & Gallia who have a combined record of 13-2.

Both teams blew Valley out of the water weeks 1 and 2. Coal Grove beat Greenup County while Portsmouth lost in OT to Greenup on a fumble inside the 10 yard line. Portsmouth has played a much stronger schedule to date. Portsmouth won last year in a shootout at Coal Grove 43-42. It seems like these 2 schools always have quite the shootout.

Coal Grove and Portsmouth will both be looking to run the ball at all costs, except Portsmouth throw it some. It seems like they have the capabilities to do so, they just don’t use it to their advantage. Hard to predict a winner in this one. The Hornets have the better record, and beat a team the Trojans lost to in OT. I would say the Grove have to be the favorites to win this one, but a Portsmouth victory on homecoming night wouldn’t shock me at all.

Thoughts?

RJShifko
Riding the Bench

Re: Week 6: Coal Grove (4-1) @ Portsmouth (2-3)

Post by RJShifko »

Big game Coal Grove is bigger and more physical. I think Coal Grove will impose their will on Portsmouth.
Coal Grove- 38
Portsmouth 27

PointerHornet89
Waterboy

Post by PointerHornet89 »

If CG decides to play some defense, I think they take this one

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Being at home might give the Trojans a slight advantage. I really believe that the game could go either way. Hope that it's an injury free game for both teams.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Game Day! Big homecoming night for the Trojans. This will be a tough game but winnable for Portsmouth. Pass defense has been suspect all season, luckily Coal Grove isn’t a passing team. On the other hand I think the Trojans needs to get their passing game going to win this one. Need to win 3 more games to possibly sneak into the playoffs, this is a must win.

Who Dey!
RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

Is there a stream for this game?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Too close to call. Good luck to both squads. Great evening for football.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Congrats on your win over the Hornets.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Congrats PHS

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
CoachC
Freshman Team

Re: September 22, 2023 Portsmouth 14 - 6 Coal Grove

Post by CoachC »

Congrats to PHS on a HUGE win! BTW Thanks for the second level points!

Return to “Football”