Is it ethical to pick and choose games like Oak Hill is?

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Is it ethical to pick and choose games like Oak Hill is?

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Why is there not more pushback towards Oak Hill for doing what they are doing?

They should be liable to pay the money for canceling with Minford, Wheelersburg, and probably West.

The gates and concessions are what helps keep these teams financially able to keep their programs alive and they are potentially loosing 20% of their revenue for the season because adults are purposely picking and choosing games for their own well being. Not to mention kids are loosing games that they will never get back.

To openly talk we intend on playing this game and that game but not that one is an obviously calculated process that should be open and shut with a decent lawyer.

Mission15
Riding the Bench

Re: Is it ethical to pick and choose games like Oak Hill is?

Post by Mission15 »

It is not, but thats just where we are as a society today.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Unfortunately that’s the truth.
OH was fine to dress 40+ against SOCI Teams fielding 20 or less kids.
OH was fine to beat the snot of out teams when they were loaded with transfers in girls and boys basketball.

But now that they are struggling, they use the safety card. If you have enough healthy players to play Valley and Northwest at the end of the year, then you have enough to play the other games as well.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Not one bit

They should be done if they couldn’t field a team for 2 seperate weeks

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Absolutely not

If they play Valley after canceling with Wheelersburg then cancel again with West, then they should have to pay both schools unless they can prove that they didn’t have 11 healthy players

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

If the SOC truly believes Oak Hill is actually being shady in this whole situation, why don’t they just vote them out of the conference? Or, why don’t they create a bylaw stating that if you have a certain number of available players, you must play when scheduled or pay a fine to the other school? If none of these are in play, then there’s really nothing the SOC can do. It’s really on them at this point.

The SOC needs a middle division. Just like the TVC needs one. Who will expand first? That’s the big question.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

No it’s not, they’re using the loophole of saying players are out. Some are of course it happens everyone has guys put. The main ethical question is this..oak hill junior high canceled on Waverlys JH team a full week in advance before even playing their game for that week. Then you go on OH’s website and you see that they never even had Waverly or West listed but instead they had South Gallia listed. That’s where it’s time for SOC powers to be to come down on them and fine them the 6K per game. Their new Superintendent used to coach at Manchester when they had 18-22 guys on the team and they showed up and played every night so it’s surprising that he’d encourage tucking tail and running. I get it but if Oak Hill hasn’t applied for the TVC or any other league that’s on them. They’re not locked into staying in SOC and unable to attempt to go elsewhere.
Last edited by greygoose on Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

It’s absolutely laughable and says a lot about what goes on at Oak Hill when Valley is in the same boat #s wise and continues to trot their team out and not bat an eye. Has definitely earned my respect that they do it like that in Lucasville. As for Oak Hill, shame shame shame

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Dundas wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:31 pm If the SOC truly believes Oak Hill is actually being shady in this whole situation, why don’t they just vote them out of the conference? Or, why don’t they create a bylaw stating that if you have a certain number of available players, you must play when scheduled or pay a fine to the other school? If none of these are in play, then there’s really nothing the SOC can do. It’s really on them at this point.

The SOC needs a middle division. Just like the TVC needs one. Who will expand first? That’s the big question.
That’s just it. There is a fine. That’s why they are waiting until Wednesday and canceling for health reasons, even though they have been trying to cancel since the spring. When they threatened in the spring, the SOC told them they would be fined.

LoyalOak
Waterboy

Post by LoyalOak »

I don’t agree with the bs either. I honestly believe there will be an SOC 3 by next year. I wish the team would just take the ass whoopin every week until the numbers go back up in a couple years. I also believe the game against West will be played.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

LoyalOak wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:47 pm I don’t agree with the bs either. I honestly believe there will be an SOC 3 by next year. I wish the team would just take the ass whoopin every week until the numbers go back up in a couple years. I also believe the game against West will be played.
West game is at West so I think we’d all be shocked if they played. As far as SOC 3 next year, no way it would take around 2 years for something like that to take effect it’s just not feasible. SOC and OVC need to pull their heads out there butt and combine but with OVC ousting Ironton I don’t think there’s incentive for them to combine with the SOC at this point. They could combine and make 3 very well balanced divisions on paper anyways

Dan-The-Man
Riding the Bench

Post by Dan-The-Man »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:10 pm It’s absolutely laughable and says a lot about what goes on at Oak Hill when Valley is in the same boat #s wise and continues to trot their team out and not bat an eye. Has definitely earned my respect that they do it like that in Lucasville. As for Oak Hill, shame shame shame
I thought the same thing when I saw the Oak Hill coach at the Valley game last week. Are the kids and the parents okay with it?

I would be furious if my kids were missing out on their high school games if the team had enough to play. It’s not all about the final score. Maybe it’s coach ego that’s getting hurt? No shame in fighting even when shorthanded, just like Valley has.

Username
Waterboy

Post by Username »

🎈🎈🎈 don’t worry fellas I brought the balloons for your pity party

Nobody is tucking and running, Oak Hill had 14 (7 freshmen) available players for Wheelersburg game last week. I’m told that number is closer to 19-21 this week.

As for when it was cancelled, if they cancelled Sunday you would cry that they’re not even trying, and when they wait until Wednesday you cry that they’re using a loophole.

If the oaks make it through tomorrow healthy, they will be playing the siders next week.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Are these considered No Contests or Forfeits by Oak Hill?

How does that effect the league standings and Playoffs for Oak Hill?

The County Resident
Riding the Bench

Post by The County Resident »

Dundas wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:31 pm If the SOC truly believes Oak Hill is actually being shady in this whole situation, why don’t they just vote them out of the conference? Or, why don’t they create a bylaw stating that if you have a certain number of available players, you must play when scheduled or pay a fine to the other school? If none of these are in play, then there’s really nothing the SOC can do. It’s really on them at this point.

You’ve been talking about this for years so I’d love to hear what you believe could be best for the area / conferences. I know this isn’t the thread for it, but I could be interesting seeing some mix up in the area with conferences and getting schools better matchups based off size.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Username wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:58 pm 🎈🎈🎈 don’t worry fellas I brought the balloons for your pity party

Nobody is tucking and running, Oak Hill had 14 (7 freshmen) available players for Wheelersburg game last week. I’m told that number is closer to 19-21 this week.

As for when it was cancelled, if they cancelled Sunday you would cry that they’re not even trying, and when they wait until Wednesday you cry that they’re using a loophole.

If the oaks make it through tomorrow healthy, they will be playing the siders next week.
Yeah they are, might not have thought that if it wasn't for all the ground work they were laying during the spring time to try and force their way out of SOC2. You can't go making a big stink and already start telling everyone who you don't want to play and then magically cancel on those teams once the season hits. 14 available?? Memory serves Green was playing with that type of number few years back and they finally had to cancel a week 10 game once they got down to 12 I believe it was. They won't be playing West, West already has someone else lined up because West doesn't even believe they're playing as West was one of the teams in spring they listed as not playing them. I mean it's no big deal that's what loopholes were made for but if your administration doesn't have the sense to apply for another league that's on them.

LoyalOak
Waterboy

Post by LoyalOak »

greygoose wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:33 am
Username wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:58 pm 🎈🎈🎈 don’t worry fellas I brought the balloons for your pity party

Yeah they are, might not have thought that if it wasn't for all the ground work they were laying during the spring time to try and force their way out of SOC2. You can't go making a big stink and already start telling everyone who you don't want to play and then magically cancel on those teams once the season hits. 14 available?? Memory serves Green was playing with that type of number few years back and they finally had to cancel a week 10 game once they got down to 12 I believe it was. They won't be playing West, West already has someone else lined up because West doesn't even believe they're playing as West was one of the teams in spring they listed as not playing them. I mean it's no big deal that's what loopholes were made for but if your administration doesn't have the sense to apply for another league that's on them.
The minford game they barely had enough then Covid hit the schools and they did not. Wheelersburg game I’m not going to pretend to know the situation because I do not. The coaching staff put in the work of finding another schedule but couldn’t get the backing from the AD I heard. Not saying Oaks win but they aren’t expecting to get beat on as hard physically this week to hopefully play next as well.

Username
Waterboy

Post by Username »

greygoose wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:33 am

Green had 14 players playing against Symmes Valley, Eastern, etc.

Not Wheelersburg, use your head.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Looks like they have about 19-20 dressed players tonight against valley

GRFan
Varsity

Post by GRFan »

Many of those are freshman.

Return to “Football”