October 20, 2023 Wheelersburg 35 - 7 Portsmouth West

Proud_Pirate63
S

Re: October 20, 2023 Wheelersburg 35 - 7 Portsmouth West

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

West’s backups should have gotten plenty of reps this year. Five of their victories came by an average of 35.4 points.

SiderSammy
Riding the Bench

Post by SiderSammy »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:23 pm West’s backups should have gotten plenty of reps this year. Five of their victories came by an average of 35.4 points.
West roster on MaxPreps shows 45.
Porter Township must not update theirs?

Backups usually get the 4th qtr, which isn’t much with a running clock.
Last edited by SiderSammy on Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I’d take wests #2 on my team all day

SiderSammy
Riding the Bench

Post by SiderSammy »

fbnut wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:41 pm I’d take wests #2 on my team all day
Yes he is a great player

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

SiderSammy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:40 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:23 pm West’s backups should have gotten plenty of reps this year. Five of their victories came by an average of 35.4 points.

So 70 versus 45. Burg’s state team was between 80-90 kids, I believe. This is a big reason Burg does so well in the SOC. A huge advantage!

Imagine the impact if West added 25 kids to their roster!

SiderSammy
Riding the Bench

Post by SiderSammy »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:46 pm

So 70 versus 45. Burg’s state team was between 80-90 kids, I believe. This is a big reason Burg does so well in the SOC. A huge advantage!

Definitely a huge advantage. This team if used properly what we have would be ok. A lot of what I see is poor preparation and out schemed. You have to have others ready to play. They have players to do so, but I think egos get in the way.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Also have to remember that 20-25 you see on Burg’s sidelines are Freshmen that are there just as a psychological thing to make the team look bigger to their opponents. All but 1 or 2(maybe)will not touch the field on Friday nights.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:21 pm

Also have to remember that 20-25 you see on Burg’s sidelines are Freshmen that are there just as a psychological thing to make the team look bigger to their opponents. All but 1 or 2(maybe)will not touch the field on Friday nights.
Except for in blowouts. But as said above, with a running clock isn’t much time.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

That West number also includes freshmen.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:26 pm

Yes it does.
So another question. With these two schools of comparable sizes, why isn’t the participation higher for West? Few posts mentioned the “dad” led feeder systems at West. Some kids not playing in high school due to the sour taste left in their month from their experience in the lower levels?

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:38 pm

Yes it does.
So another question. With these two schools of comparable sizes, why isn’t the participation higher for West? Few posts mentioned the “dad” led feeder systems at West. Some kids not playing in high school due to the sour taste left in their month from their experience in the lower levels?
West isn’t alone. None of the other SOC schools are close to Burg with regards to participation.

Burg and Ironton are the only schools in the SOC/OVC with good numbers.

So to expand on your question, why is participation so low across the board?

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:46 pm

Yes it does.
West isn’t alone. None of the other SOC schools are close to Burg with regards to participation.

Is it the feeder systems not being involved with or led by the varsity coaches? Many moons ago, I helped coach a Burg peewee team. We met with the varsity coaches preseason and was instructed on what scheme/plays to teach the younger guys.

Are the all younger kids not getting the playing time to learn the game? Too much emphasis on pee wee “super bowls” ? Kids get turned off from a sport in those lower levels if they stand on the sideline every game. I know every kid is not going to be a good football player. But a kid’s desire to play can be extinguished if never given the chance.

Is it that a lot of kids are just different these days? Don’t want to put in the work/commitment? I don’t know.

Burg has its internal problems like the other schools. This kid is mad because this kid is playing more than him. That can lead to kids quitting mid season or not play the following year. Parents can contribute to this with those “around the dinner table chats”.

It’s a simple problem with low numbers but the answer to it has multiple layers.

Last night West just ran into a Burg team playing at a high level. A switch seemed to flip the second half of the Harvest Prep game and Burg has been building on their strengths ever since. I was actually surprised West didn’t try to mix in the pass earlier. I know the coaches had a game plan and wanted to limit Burg’s possessions. Didn’t seem to adapt as the game went on.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Yes it does.

Because the other programs simply just haven't built the same type of culture for football that Ironton has and Burg to a bit lesser degree has. Seo football outside of those two programs just isn't much to write home about. You may have a year here and there where P West or Fairland are decent. And Jackson is decent. But the rest just have not established a culture for themselves.

Example: rock hill plays football. Sure. But that's not a program. Not in any way.

SiderSammy
Riding the Bench

Post by SiderSammy »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:19 pm

Yes it does.

Is it the feeder systems not being involved with or led by the varsity coaches? Many moons ago, I helped coach a Burg peewee team. We met with the varsity coaches preseason and was instructed on what scheme/plays to teach the younger guys.

Are the all younger kids not getting the playing time to learn the game? Too much emphasis on pee wee “super bowls” ? Kids get turned off from a sport in those lower levels if they stand on the sideline every game. I know every kid is not going to be a good football player. But a kid’s desire to play can be extinguished if never given the chance.

Is it that a lot of kids are just different these days? Don’t want to put in the work/commitment? I don’t know.

Burg has its internal problems like the other schools. This kid is mad because this kid is playing more than him. That can lead to kids quitting mid season or not play the following year. Parents can contribute to this with those “around the dinner table chats”.

It’s a simple problem with low numbers but the answer to it has multiple layers.

Last night West just ran into a Burg team playing at a high level. A switch seemed to flip the second half of the Harvest Prep game and Burg has been building on their strengths ever since. I was actually surprised West didn’t try to mix in the pass earlier. I know the coaches had a game plan and wanted to limit Burg’s possessions. Didn’t seem to adapt as the game went on.
Simply put, ME > WE parents, coaches and players from the feeder levels all the way to the high school, it’s been that for years and has progressed worse throughout the years. Coach Johnson has been the only one to try and change this culture and it obviously didn’t last too long. It’s a generational curse that will never change.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Why do other schools not have the numbers? It's simple, poor attitudes from everyone involved in the feeder systems. Parents unwilling to accept that their kids didn't work hard enough to earn a spot on the field. Coaches unwilling to give a kid a fair shake because they don't like the parents or the kid is better than theirs. Simply unwilling to be challenged. Parents should be removed from coaching in every program. Parents of players should allow their kids to fail without getting their feelings hurt. I understand wanting to protect your child, but powdering butts does nothing but give a sense of entitlement. Burg isn't perfect, Ironton isn't perfect, but both have a decent understanding of this mentality.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

As said before, pee wee should be used to teach the fundamentals. Let all the kids in pee wee participate in games. Build confidence in the kids, show them the importance of hard work, being a team player, but most of all, being a COACHABLE athlete and sportsmanship. Those two things are the most important, not only in sports, but life in general. Nobody likes to lose a game. But, you have to play in order to win also. Also as a player, strive to put in your best effort every time you show up to practice, hit the weights or do conditioning. Half ass work gets half ass results.

Also, let the varsity coach help out the youth leagues. Let them give the youth coaches some basic plays to learn and run. Keep building upon the fundamentals and foundation every year. Just my humble opinion.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Few thoughts on the last few posts
First Congratulations to Wheelersburg. They were the aggressor from the first play. Terrible tackling by West on the first play got West behind. West did a great job of fighting back and actually had the game where they wanted it. West was gonna get the ball after the half and they were effectively running the football and Wheelersburg was getting tired defensively. Then the last two minutes killed them. The punt inside the 5 and then the touchdown to make it 21-7 took all the momentum back. If West goes in 14-7 it’s not only closer but they may win the game because it was going how they wanted it to go.

Numbers.
One when the count comes out this summer West will be D6. There is a significant drop in enrollment right now. This should be good for football. In fact if West messaged the CB numbers like a couple other schools around here they could’ve played D6 the last 2 years.

There are several good players playing that are some of the better players on other area teams. Put them on this team and depth isn’t a problem, it’s a positive and West would probably be the most talented team in the area. They didn’t leave for football. One family moved and others moved because of baseball. The baseball dynamic has changed to a positive so I would expect this to improve going forward. Few other kids don’t play anymore for other reasons.

I agree Peewee is about development. But I don’t think that’s the problem here. Burn out could be. But of the 4 classes in the high school now West won the 8 grade game in 3 of them with good numbers so that isn’t the problem here but peewee does need to change to really take the next step.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

The current climate of society and lack of motivating and leaders for the youth has led to the drop in numbers everywhere outside of a few places I say.

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion

Return to “Football”