October 20, 2023 Minford 0 - 24 Valley

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Re: October 20, 2023 Minford 0 - 24 Valley

Post by Hoopster98 »

VERY DOUBTFUL this kid leaves. His family is MINFORD through and through. Dad is on the basketball staff and played for Minford back in the day, so highly doubt it. Will Minford get an outsider to coach or will they stick to their inhouse/minford ties?

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Hoopster98 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:25 am VERY DOUBTFUL this kid leaves. His family is MINFORD through and through. Dad is on the basketball staff and played for Minford back in the day, so highly doubt it. Will Minford get an outsider to coach or will they stick to their inhouse/minford ties?
name I'm hearing is Minford Alum, played college ball.

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Re: Rival: Valley @ Minford

Post by Jussmypinion »

[quote="Sonny Weaver" post_id=2085122 time=1698064311
I think this game in particular will be the final nail in the coffin and the board does step in. I would be willing to bet there's a new HC in Muletown next season.

As far as QB and his fam, maybe I have a bad read on the situation but seems to me that Dad's #1 priority is getting his kids to the next level. Taking them to Ironton dramatically increases those odds. The promoting of the 7th grader all over social media is cringy to me.
[/quote]

Noone needs Ironton to play at the next level, that's what they'd like you all to believe.
Little brother is playing NATIONALLY and holding his own,I'm quite sure he's getting eyes on him without any ties to Ironton.
Dad has a game plan, and it's working. I see them in Burg before I see them anywhere else, IF transferring is in the discussion.

SOCFalconFan
Waterboy

Post by SOCFalconFan »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:31 am
Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:02 am
FalconNation wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:12 pm Time for a complete rebuild in Muletown.
It's been LONG overdue, can't believe the school sits back and watches what product these coaches put out there just shocking.
Minford's Head Coach is married to the Athletic Director. That's all that needs to be said on the subject really.

Feel bad for the kids. I've heard QB1 is interested in playing soccer at Minford next season. I'd say that is probably just frustration talking after a miserable season, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him and little brother at Ironton next season.
The same rumor about QB1 was said all spring this year too. I don’t see it happening, but maybe taking a beating two years in a row and knowing they are losing at least 11 starters and 90% of their offensive and defensive productivity will do it. It’s a shame what poor coaching has done to that kid. He looked great early last year as a freshman until he got banged up, and this year he looked scared against all the good teams and rushed throws, threw into the dirt, etc. because he was scared from getting hit so much.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

SOCFalconFan wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:00 pm
Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:02 am

It's been LONG overdue, can't believe the school sits back and watches what product these coaches put out there just shocking.
Minford's Head Coach is married to the Athletic Director. That's all that needs to be said on the subject really.

Feel bad for the kids. I've heard QB1 is interested in playing soccer at Minford next season. I'd say that is probably just frustration talking after a miserable season, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him and little brother at Ironton next season.
The same rumor about QB1 was said all spring this year too. I don’t see it happening, but maybe taking a beating two years in a row and knowing they are losing at least 11 starters and 90% of their offensive and defensive productivity will do it. It’s a shame what poor coaching has done to that kid. He looked great early last year as a freshman until he got banged up, and this year he looked scared against all the good teams and rushed throws, threw into the dirt, etc. because he was scared from getting hit so much.
Yeah, I don’t see a transfer happening either. If he at Ironton or Burg, he likely becomes WR2 as they are both set at QB and WR1. His college future is most likely in track and Minford is just fine in that department. But the soccer rumors may have legs if dad feels his health could be jeopardized by continuing to play football for average teams.

Either way, I hate this for all parties involved at Minford because Ruby is a great guy from everyone you talk to, while this group of kids’ goal was to be competing for SOC II championships at this point.*

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:18 pm
SOCFalconFan wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:00 pm

Yeah, I don’t see a transfer happening either. If he at Ironton or Burg, he likely becomes WR2 as they are both set at QB and WR1. His college future is most likely in track and Minford is just fine in that department. But the soccer rumors may have legs if dad feels his health could be jeopardized by continuing to play football for average teams.

Either way, I hate this for all parties involved at Minford because Ruby is a great guy from everyone you talk to, while this group of kids’ goal was to be competing for SOC II championships at this point.*
He can be a great guy all he wants but that doesn’t make him a good coach the 2 aren’t connected. I think you nailed it on QB1 and that is he needs to change positions. He’s not tall enough to see over the line and he’s to athletic to have him locked in behind center taking a beating. Having seen him play last 2 years I’d have to say and rightfully so, that the broken collarbone sustained last season really affected him this year. Excellent track star he doesn’t need to take the beating at QB if he chooses not to that’s for certain.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Ruby will be there as long as he wants the job. He needs to work to sell the program to get the kids out of the hallway and stands and on the field. He needs 60+ kids from grades 9-12 to be competitive.

The lower leagues need to be self-contained b/c who cares about a 3rd-6th-grade Super Bowl championship? From 2000-2010, Minford had an inhouse 4-pee wee team system, and they all played each other. Just purely fundamentals and every kid got to play. No All-Star team was selected and by the time these kids got to HS, that's when the Falcons had 60-70 kids out, plenty of depth at every position, and competed for the SOCII championship year in and year out.

Not sure exactly when it happened, but I think the parents started to take over and wanted to start playing an all-star team for a pee-wee travel team and not taking guidance from the varsity program. Playing for a pee-wee Superbowl and look at what's happened at the HS level. They're right back where they were pre-2000 with only 35-40 kids coming out for the team, in the basement of the SOCII, and with below-average overall records.
Last edited by vladimir on Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

vladimir wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:56 pm Ruby will be there as long as he wants the job. He needs to work to sell the program to get the kids out of the hallway and stands and on the field. He needs 60+ kids from grades 9-12 to be competitive.

The lower leagues need to be self-contained b/c who cares about a 3rd-6th-grade Super Bowl championship? From 2000-2010, Minford had a inhouse 4-pee wee team system, and they all played each other. Just purely fundamentals and every kid got to play. No All-Star team was selected and by the time these kids got to HS, that's when the Falcons had 60-70 kids out, plenty of depth at every position, and competed for the SOCII championship year in and year out.

Not sure exactly when it happened, but I think the parents started to take over and wanted to start playing an all-star team for a pee-wee travel team and not taking guidance from the varsity program. Playing for a pee-wee Superbowl and look at what's happened at the HS level. They're right back where they were pre-2000 with only 35-40 kids coming out for the team, in the basement of the SOCII, and with below-average overall records.

This is 100% factual. Well, not so sure they ever had 60-70 kids out, but I guess it was possible. Anyhow, it has been my experience, that the parents enjoy the super bowl and jr high championships more than the kids.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

DcP3407 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:25 am
vladimir wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:56 pm Ruby will be there as long as he wants the job. He needs to work to sell the program to get the kids out of the hallway and stands and on the field. He needs 60+ kids from grades 9-12 to be competitive.

The lower leagues need to be self-contained b/c who cares about a 3rd-6th-grade Super Bowl championship? From 2000-2010, Minford had an inhouse 4-pee wee team system, and they all played each other. Just purely fundamentals and every kid got to play. No All-Star team was selected and by the time these kids got to HS, that's when the Falcons had 60-70 kids out, plenty of depth at every position, and competed for the SOCII championship year in and year out.

This is 100% factual. Well, not so sure they ever had 60-70 kids out, but I guess it was possible. Anyhow, it has been my experience, that the parents enjoy the Super Bowl and jr high championships more than the kids.
In regards to the 60-70 kid teams, look at 2009-2011 teams, and I also believe 2009 was the last time Minford won an outright SOCII Championship.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
SOCFalconFan
Waterboy

Post by SOCFalconFan »

That’s a good part of the reason for the issues in high school. But the numbers issues are just as much about how down the kids are about the coach too and not wanting to play for him

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

SOCFalconFan wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:53 am

That’s a good part of the reason for the issues in high school. But the numbers issues are just as much about how down the kids are about the coach too and not wanting to play for him
All I really got to say about all this is, "Get up get get get down, 911 a joke in yo town."

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

4-6 teams playing against each other has been Burg's peewee program for as long as I can remember. They have always been coached by ex Burg football players and it has seemed to worked out well over the years for them. They did have the one outsiderteam a few years back, the outlaws I think is what they were called and I know a lot of people were not happy with that.

Youth soccer took a lot of kids away from football when it first started but I think the peewee program is thriving again. I did notice that the peewee teams now all wear different colored Pirates jersey instead of having them be the Browns or Cowboys or Packers or Bengals. That was the four I can remember. I think the kids like being able to put on a Pirate jersey and it makes them feel like they are now part of the program, which in fact they are. Very smart on whoever came up with that concept.

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

At the rate Minford is going, within a few short years, football will be gone. :?

Return to “Football”