Based on Irontons performance the last 3 weeks I have them on upset alert immediately.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Based on Irontons performance the last 3 weeks I have them on upset alert immediately.

Post by Tri_State790 »

It's a hard point to argue.

Are the Fighting Tigers on upset alert?

I say yes and can make the case.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Re: Based on Irontons performance the last 3 weeks I have them on upset alert immediately.

Post by fielddaddy »

I say no they will come out firing on all cylinders.
Gallia get's up for Ironton so it don't Suprise me by the score of the game there.
Portsmouth was a sloppy game yes but I believe the coach played it close to the vest in order to keep the team free from injuries.

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Re: Based on Irontons performance the last 3 weeks I have them on upset alert immediately.

Post by GoBigI »

Ironton will have to face a gauntlet of a very underrated Heath team (probably), Harvest Prep, and Wheelersburg (probably) to win the region. I haven’t seen enough offensive firepower to make me feel confident they can run the gauntlet.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

Ironton should be the favorite to win the regional title. But, they are lacking an identity on offense. I understand they have plenty of playmakers at their disposal. But, also they tend at times to get away from what works also. I’m just an observer here. Not a coach, alumn , or anything else. I’ll always cheer on the local teams. Personally if I were drawing up the plays, I’d run it straight at the opposing team until they could prove to me they could stop it. Throw in some play action, bootleg, quick hit type of throws to keep the defense honest. Again not a coach and not dogging anyone. Just my personal thoughts.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
riverRat52
Riding the Bench

Post by riverRat52 »

Ironton has speed all over the field, I understand their want to be the Ironton of old and just line up and run it down your throat... but it's not working. Use that speed to hit the edge, get the ball out to the play makers, you don't have to run 9's all night looking for home runs. The line can't hold up long enough for those long routes to set up every time, and the line isn't big enough to really pound you up the middle. Get the QB out of the pocket intermediate routes, run plays off the edge, screens, and then throw in a FB trap with Copas.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I'm pretty sure Pendleton knows what it takes to win the regional. This isn't his first rodeo. I dont believe he needs help from us armchair coaches.

He can bully his way thru most of the schedule but seems to fold in games where he gets bullied. I dont recall a game he has won when he wasn't favored.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Ironton beats Heath by at last 21.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Pump the brakes on I-Town being on upset alert. Yes they've looked underwhelming at times the past few weeks but it's still their region to lose. Just a thought, not saying this is what the issue has been with them lately, but possibly they're bored? Dunno. Bored after their non-conference is over and they have only OVC foes left? They're kids and they know they should roll through that conference and the first couple play off rounds. Again, just a thought.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

RollCoal wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:55 am Ironton should be the favorite to win the regional title. But, they are lacking an identity on offense. I understand they have plenty of playmakers at their disposal. But, also they tend at times to get away from what works also. I’m just an observer here. Not a coach, alumn , or anything else. I’ll always cheer on the local teams. Personally if I were drawing up the plays, I’d run it straight at the opposing team until they could prove to me they could stop it. Throw in some play action, bootleg, quick hit type of throws to keep the defense honest. Again not a coach and not dogging anyone. Just my personal thoughts.

I agree with this observation & input.
The talent in the backfield is quite abundant.
I have not seen them in person since the First state final in 2019 & they were loaded, but the NEO teams out of D5/R-17 & the MAC are always gonna have a foot up on all others.

I get coach P wants to be balanced & i do believe the line play is whats keeping the running game mundane.

I think this will be the hardest year since 2019 to get a regional title.

BUT in no way did i ever expect the Tigers to perform @ the level as they did last year -v- Prep & VV.
They totally stepped up & flexed in those 2games & became the monster they needed to be.

They’ll have to do the same to play for a regional title thus year.

Run the ball til you cannot & then air.

Basics
Clean play
Injury free, etc. I STRONGLY FEEL THAT IS WHAT THEY HAVE BEEN WORKING ON & did so espy last week.

Time to put it into action!!!

#GoTgo

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

GoBigI wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:56 pm Ironton will have to face a gauntlet of a very underrated Heath team (probably), Harvest Prep, and Wheelersburg (probably) to win the region. I haven’t seen enough offensive firepower to make me feel confident they can run the gauntlet.
I agree with you.
Prep
&
Burg
Are always a challenge.
Prep def wants to get a “W” -v- the Tigers.

& of course Burg has improved lije usual since week 1, while IHS hasn’t.

Heath has two “L”’s to two great programs and plays hard nosed squads i that Newark area.

I can see Heath being a regional contender.

Still standing strong with IHS TO hopefully get another regional title & keep improving each year until they get it ALL….

GrRrRrRrR.

#GoTgo

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

Tjhtygeverve wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:44 pm
RollCoal wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:55 am Ironton should be the favorite to win the regional title. But, they are lacking an identity on offense. I understand they have plenty of playmakers at their disposal. But, also they tend at times to get away from what works also. I’m just an observer here. Not a coach, alumn , or anything else. I’ll always cheer on the local teams. Personally if I were drawing up the plays, I’d run it straight at the opposing team until they could prove to me they could stop it. Throw in some play action, bootleg, quick hit type of throws to keep the defense honest. Again not a coach and not dogging anyone. Just my personal thoughts.

I agree with this observation & input.
The talent in the backfield is quite abundant.
I have not seen them in person since the First state final in 2019 & they were loaded, but the NEO teams out of D5/R-17 & the MAC are always gonna have a foot up on all others.

I get coach P wants to be balanced & i do believe the line play is whats keeping the running game mundane.

I think this will be the hardest year since 2019 to get a regional title.

BUT in no way did i ever expect the Tigers to perform @ the level as they did last year -v- Prep & VV.
They totally stepped up & flexed in those 2games & became the monster they needed to be.

They’ll have to do the same to play for a regional title thus year.

Run the ball til you cannot & then air.

Basics
Clean play
Injury free, etc. I STRONGLY FEEL THAT IS WHAT THEY HAVE BEEN WORKING ON & did so espy last week.

Time to put it into action!!!

#GoTgo
This team is nowhere year last year’s team, nor the 2019 team. I really worry about the secondary against a team like Heath and Harvest Prep. I think at this point we need to see more RPO with the big QB running more. I understand you don’t want to do that a lot in the regular season but now it’s “Go Time”. There is a lot of talk about speed on this team. Outside of Terry and maybe Pittman, team speed is underwhelming. A really good mix of power run, short pass, RPO, and the occasional deep ball could take this team a very long way in the playoffs. It’s time to mix it up and keep teams guessing. The line needs to show up big.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

If number 22 is fully healthy he had a foot injury earlier in the year Ironton can power run with him.
Use number 4 on swing passes and use 0 and 12 to help stretch the field on passing.
number 24 is a bruiser to complement 22 and Ironton has plenty of speed to substitute when they need speed at running back.
This Ironton team has the players they just haven't seem to be able to put it together yet .

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

I hope I'm wrong. But, yes, they are on upset alert. At this very moment, if I had to place a bet on a burg/IHS rematch, I'd take the burg (and I'm a burg-hater for sure). They have gotten better over the course of the season - something I largely attribute to their coaching staff - and Ironton has seemingly regressed.
Again, as an ex-Tiger, I hope I'm wrong.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Irontons issues are not isolated anomalies.
The issues are fundamental.

Poor ball exchange.
No continuity at Center. .
Doesn't run the ball well.
Tons of unforced errors.
Offensive line is inconsistent. Run blocking isn't good.
Defense gets gashed up the gut in the run game.
Offensive cannot put together drives without unforced errors. .
Because the offense cannot sustain drives they live and die by the big play vs lesser competition like coal Grove but stall out on drives offensively vs good competition.
Defense struggles to get off the field.

These fundamental issues have remained with the Tigers throughout the first 10 weeks of the season.

I am not convinced these fundamental issues are gone just because it's week 11. If the correction was that seemless it would have been corrected during the season.

These issues will continue to show up and will cost Ironton.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

LockHerUp wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:19 pm I hope I'm wrong. But, yes, they are on upset alert. At this very moment, if I had to place a bet on a burg/IHS rematch, I'd take the burg (and I'm a burg-hater for sure). They have gotten better over the course of the season - something I largely attribute to their coaching staff - and Ironton has seemingly regressed.
Agree. Ironton looked better the first 3 weeks of the season vs the last 3 weeks.

I have the Tigers on upset alert.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

LockHerUp wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:19 pm I hope I'm wrong. But, yes, they are on upset alert. At this very moment, if I had to place a bet on a burg/IHS rematch, I'd take the burg (and I'm a burg-hater for sure). They have gotten better over the course of the season - something I largely attribute to their coaching staff - and Ironton has seemingly regressed.
Irontons fundamental issues mentioned per above along with the absolutely sporadic and atrocious offensive playcalling and rotation is a disaster for playoff ball in my opinion.

There's no rhythm or fluidity in any aspect of Irontons game right now.

BigBelliedBob
Waterboy

Post by BigBelliedBob »

They can’t be on upset alert…how would they be able to finish as state runner-up again if they lose this early?

Return to “Football”