November 10, 2023 Ironton 14 - 20 Harvest Prep

RBH23
S

Re: Ironton v Harvest Prep

Post by RBH23 »

TigerBob wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:29 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:12 pm
kantucky wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:03 pm
I'm curious who did you hear say the Tigers were gonna go to Canton this year? I do not think I heard a single Ironton fan say anything like that. I do believe most of the fans expectations for this team were tempered. I, for one, would have been ecstatic if we could have won the regional championship this year but my head told me that we would very unlikely make that far. One could see that week 1 when we played against the Burg.

We were missing several elements that can make a great team. 1st of all was a bruising running back that could come up the middle and punish defenders. I do believe Zane Williams can be that kind of player but he's not ready yet as a sophomore.

Then again most of the time personally, I can care less about going up to Canton. Don't give me wrong it's nice to think you can win a state championships but it's something that doesn't happen very often. I think The Fighting Tigers can look at how many regional trophies they have won the last few years and should be very proud! So many local schools have never, ever won a regional title. I like to just go to football game and enjoy that game and not think about anything way off in the future. Sadly though, the competition is so poor in the OVC, it is often impossible to do that. I skipped more than a game

We are gonna lose a lot of good boys this year but the same time we have a lot of boys who are very talented and are still very young.

We could look back into the 60's. I'd have to look it up to be sure but I'm thinking we won a hair over 20 games total the whole decade
Not all Ironton fans were drinking the kool-aid going into this year, but some most certainly were downing it by the gallon!

Ohiobuckeye2 specifically stated that the OL and run game would be better, that IHS would win region and possibly state of healthy, and that this was the best team Pendleton has had at Ironton.

He and I went back and forth on this. Given what IHS lost form the ‘22 team, improvement in ‘23 seemed unlikely.
Here is what I said last year. I’ll stand by it.

Given they lost 4 D1 scholarship players, the most productive QB in school history, a handful more that will play next level (Barnes, Felder, Young) an a three year starter on both sides of the ball (Wilson), it’s hard to say that two move ins make up for all that.

The 2023 team could be really good, and certainly won’t lack for depth. But they are a long way from eclipsing the 2022 team just yet.
You are not one of the kool-aid drinkers as most IHS fans are not. But some were hellbent on claiming 2023 to be the year.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

TigerBob wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:48 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:31 am
TigerBob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:45 pm Awesome site we have here attacking 17 and 18 year old kids.

Prep has too many athletes for Ironton. Power run game sounds awesome if it will work. It didn’t. Ironton lined up a ton under center and ran it right at Prep. It wasn’t working. The passing game wasn’t much better given Schreck was running for his life and nobody was open. The one offensive TD was a scramble drill, not a designed play.

Sometimes the better team makes a few more plays and wins. It doesn’t have to be the coach sucks, or this kid sucks, or anything like that. It’s just one team is better than the other.

I will say Wheelersburg seems like a bad matchup for what Prep wants to do. Feels like if Wheelersburg can get Prep to make one extra mistake they’ll take it.
I was not attacking #12, think he’s a great athlete. I just thought #11 made more sense as QB.

As for IHS being a power run team, after watching the Burg-IHS game, I thought this is where they would go with their O. IHS’s best drive in that game came early in the 3rd quarter when IHS just ran it down Burg’s throat. Drive only ended in 3pts but was the best drive the entire game.

What I’ve seen from Ironton since is an O that doesn’t have any identity. The play calling appears fragmented with little rhyme or reason (same problem Burg had earlier in the season); seemed like the OC was counting on big plays from Terry to score. I think IHS would have been better offensively if they focused on power run from the beginning of the season. Basically too late to change come playoff time.

As for the coaches, they obviously don’t suck. That’s an overstatement. But they have not addressed the problems that have haunted IHS for the past 4+ years. Too much dependence on talent making big plays, and not enough focus on improving the basics (turnovers, penalties, OL play, etc).

IHS has talent. When they line up on the field against other D5 schools, IHS always has more talent than the team on the other side. Coaching, especially on the O side, is holding the team back and needs to improve. Hence why many on here are frustrated.
You weren't the worst offender, but I think any adult anonymously saying things about a kid online is a bad look. If I'm a kid, and my team lost, and I felt like I played bad, I certainly wouldn't want to see someone online criticizing me. Do I think the kids are reading this stuff? I hope not, but it's out there for them. I just don't think it's helpful.

As far as Ironton's offensive identity, the criticisms are fair. A lot of people on this site, you included, oversimplify things a ton. Ironton and Wheelersburg should just do what Kirtland and Marion Local do is a common refrain. There are more than 700 schools who play football in Ohio. Somewhere around 2 do what Kirtland and Marion Local do.

Ironton's line all year just didn't perform against quality competition. The idea that Ironton could have or should have been a power run team is a bit far fetched. They didn't show that ability on a week to week, drive to drive basis all year. If they had gone power run, it's that much tougher to get Terry the number of touches that everyone feels he should get. Then people would complain about that.

With the QB switch, I'll say the coaches are competitive people who want to win and see these kids every day. I don't know what went into the decision, but I bet it wasn't made lightly and it was the choice that gave the team the best chance to win in the eyes of the coaches. Not like Ironton was rolling offensively headed into Week 11, which wasn't on the QB, but certainly gives you some breathing room to make the change.

Ironton is certainly talented, but they didn't have a ton of seniors getting meaningful snaps. That's a big deal in high school football. Just the strength and physical development boys go through over the last few years meant that this team was always going to struggle to be as good as the last few years or the next few years.

All of this criticism and negativity amidst a season where Ironton goes 9-1, wins their league, and wins two playoff games. The type of season that would be the best in a generation at many schools is looked at as a major disappointment. And that's fair, given Ironton's stated goals and the mouth running of the vocal morons in the fan base.
I’ll attempt to breakdown why others don’t achieve ML and Kirtland’s success.

Let’s go with 700 high schools playing football in Ohio; approximately 100 per division. Now we’ll look at just D5-D7 first and break these ~300 schools down.

First, to play at the level of ML and Kirtland, a team must have 65+ players. Every year! Not miss a beat on these numbers as ML and Kirtland do not. That criteria alone wipes out nearly all but 20-30 schools in those divisions. In SEO, only IHS and Burg meet this criteria. All the other schools aren’t even close and have no chance of winning a state title because of this alone.

Second, comes talent. Private schools can make up ground here even without the numbers. Public schools typically cannot. ML and Kirtland obviously have good talent, but it is on par with Burg and below what IHS produces. So Burg and IHS check this box.

Third, comes community support and resources. This again narrows the list, and in SEO, Burg and IHS once again are the only schools that meet this.

Finally, long term coaches that truly understand the key to winning football is a good defense, good running game, excellence at the basics (blocking and tackling), and commitment to not beating yourself (turnovers and penalties). ML was a good program in the past but never won a title before their current coach came onboard. Kirtland never won a playoff game before Tiger. Both brought this to their schools.

So if I look at this list, IHS and Burg meet most of the criteria but have not yet consistently achieve the last. Take Burg’s game last night. Twice, the OC called for an unnecessary pass that resulted in a negative play for Burg; cost them 3 pts on one and a pic 6 on the other. Despite running the ball at will, Burg still could not stick to #4 above. And this has been a chronic problem for years!! ML and Kirtland rarely make these mistakes.

Now what about the bigger divisions? This can work at D1 as Brian White showed at Hilliard Davidson. He ran Ed Miller’s O to perfection winning two state titles. Of course once he retired, Davidson moved away from his offense and the results were not good; now the coaches at Hilliard are trying to get back what White created.

But why didn’t White win more? At the bigger schools, talent can overwhelm scheme. The catholic schools that recruit dominate the bigger divisions due to their ability to bring in talent that public schools cannot easily overcome. This isn’t as big an issue at the lower divisions, although it can happen there as well (ie HP).

But why do coaches that have the first three not adopt the fourth? Everything from ego to “not invented here” comes into play; lots of factors.

Also a true talent that often is overlooked is the ability to make the complex appear simple. Whether football, politics, business, etc. few do it well because of ego, etc. ML and Kirtland coaches do it well. Most do not, hence why they can’t achieve true excellence. In fact, they make simple look complex.

Anyway, that’s my two cents that’s not even worth that :)

REDMEN95
JV Team

Post by REDMEN95 »

Nurse45680 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:16 pm
Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:33 am No clue why people thought Ironton would be favored in this one. Coaching bites them in the butt again. Until he gives up the play calling, the playoff losses will continue
That same coach has taken Ironton to the State Championship game 4 out of the last 6 seasons. We've only had 2 years where we weren't the second best team in the entire state of Ohio since Pendleton's first season as head coach. I think he does a great job and Ironton's record supports my statement!
Very Well Said!!

REDMEN95
JV Team

Post by REDMEN95 »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:07 pm
Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:33 am No clue why people thought Ironton would be favored in this one. Coaching bites them in the butt again. Until he gives up the play calling, the playoff losses will continue
That same coach has taken Ironton to the State Championship game 4 out of the last 6 seasons. We've only had 2 years where we weren't the second best team in the entire state of Ohio since Pendleton's first season as head coach. I think he does a great job and Ironton's record supports my statement!
And gets out coached every time they run up against a team to equal or greater talent. Talent takes them further than most, then they get out coached in scheme, technique, play concept & design.
Sounds like you need to become the coach… lol

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

REDMEN95 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:28 pm
Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:07 pm

And gets out coached every time they run up against a team to equal or greater talent. Talent takes them further than most, then they get out coached in scheme, technique, play concept & design.
Sounds like you need to become the coach… lol
Where do I send the resume

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Has it been 4 championship games?
Second best team in the entire state of Ohio?

WinnerWinner
Waterboy

Post by WinnerWinner »

Tri_State790 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:36 pm
SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:52 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:29 am

I wouldn't doubt this however I'll say that. Southeastohioians talk all this junk about their quaint tight knit communities and yet they are always the very first to talk down on their neighbor. So par for the course if true.

IF. Cause southernohio innuendo is about as dependable as a Jerrod Pendleton playbook.
Not sure about last night but Ironton has been playing 6 or 7 guys not from Ironton on defense and from what I was told there is beginning to be a pushback from the community that kids and grandkids who grew up dreaming and working to play at Ironton are watching dudes come in and take their time. I suspect it will get worse.
It's that why 12 got qb1 week 11? I didn't hear a word mentioned on here about #11 being injured until POST GAME and even more peculiar IF that's the case and the kid had a shoulder injury and couldn't throw then WHY did Irontons OC draw up a pitch from 12 to 11 and 11 throw a pass? Doesn't make sense. And yesterday the word on here is "its #12's team for rest of season this season and all of next season" hinting that no qb competition will be tolerated for the rest of 12's Ironton campaign. And 12 is the grandson of Ironton legacy correct? Just strange. Smh
11 has been dealing with a knee injury for the past three weeks. Not an arm injury. Had it not been for the knee injury 12 would still be out wide where he made the most impact.

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

Takes a coward to want to use a computer sim to predict a game. We prefer to hit people in the mouth. That’s why we win.

Call us at 740-985-3329

We will play you guys anytime and anywhere

Yh8awinner
Freshman Team

Post by Yh8awinner »

Ironton people and those that have moved in just need to face the facts. Pendleton has a good line but has no clue how to actually coach a football team. That's why he loads up to try and make up for that because he knows Ironton and him can't do it the way it's meant to. Give me burg coaching staff any day to improve a kid on and off the field. You beat you chests every season but post Lutz people have no clue of what all it really takes. That coaching staff will never make it happen. They just don't have the mindset.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Yh8awinner wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:04 pm Ironton people and those that have moved in just need to face the facts. Pendleton has a good line but has no clue how to actually coach a football team. That's why he loads up to try and make up for that because he knows Ironton and him can't do it the way it's meant to. Give me burg coaching staff any day to improve a kid on and off the field. You beat you chests every season but post Lutz people have no clue of what all it really takes. That coaching staff will never make it happen. They just don't have the mindset.
Do you guys know Pendleton personally to speculate on his work ethic and mindset. All you burgites may need to talk to people that’s actually been around the program or on inside before you assume.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Pendleton played in more state championships in 5 years of being a HC than Burg has in the history of the school. Plus Pendleton has a winning record vs. The Burg. Your assumptions sound stupid.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Tri_State790 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:34 pm

Pre season Tiger fans: best team we've had. Ovc farewell we are moving on to better competition. The only team we lost to was "d1" Cabell Midland. "Canton or bust."

Ironton fans post season: our team is very young this year. But we won the ovc. Only 2 programs outta 700 in Ohio focus on discipline and fundamentals.

That bluster every season never ends well. Smh. Same old hypocrisy and excuses and hallmark cards. Smh.

Tired of hearing it. Win or shut up.
I'm curious who did you hear say the Tigers were gonna go to Canton this year? I do not think I heard a single Ironton fan say anything like that. I do believe most of the fans expectations for this team were tempered. I, for one, would have been ecstatic if we could have won the regional championship this year but my head told me that we would very unlikely make that far. One could see that week 1 when we played against the Burg.

We were missing several elements that can make a great team. 1st of all was a bruising running back that could come up the middle and punish defenders. I do believe Zane Williams can be that kind of player but he's not ready yet as a sophomore.

Then again most of the time personally, I can care less about going up to Canton. Don't give me wrong it's nice to think you can win a state championships but it's something that doesn't happen very often. I think The Fighting Tigers can look at how many regional trophies they have won the last few years and should be very proud! So many local schools have never, ever won a regional title. I like to just go to football game and enjoy that game and not think about anything way off in the future. Sadly though, the competition is so poor in the OVC, it is often impossible to do that. I skipped more than a game

We are gonna lose a lot of good boys this year but the same time we have a lot of boys who are very talented and are still very young.

We could look back into the 60's. I'd have to look it up to be sure but I'm thinking we won a hair over 20 games total the whole decade
Not all Ironton fans were drinking the kool-aid going into this year, but some most certainly were downing it by the gallon!

Ohiobuckeye2 specifically stated that the OL and run game would be better, that IHS would win region and possibly state of healthy, and that this was the best team Pendleton has had at Ironton.

He and I went back and forth on this. Given what IHS lost form the ‘22 team, improvement in ‘23 seemed unlikely.
Ok, but I didn't come on here hardly any this year so I have limited knowledge as far as what others thought. I, for one, fully expected we would lose against Prep. Someone on here said that we'd lose because we wouldn't be facing the same team as what we did last year but a far more accurate statement was that HARVEST wasn't facing the same team they did last year. How can you replace a duo like Carpenter and Ty Perkins?

We had a good team this year, a very good team with some hard working talented young men on it but I felt there were a few things missing to make them a great team. I do believe the next couple of years, we shall see an improvement. Either way, come next year of the Lord allows me, I'll be sitting there watching my Tigers and just enjoying the game I'm watching at that time.

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
JosephLeeB9
Waterboy

Post by JosephLeeB9 »

kantucky wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:08 pm

Ok, but I didn't come on here hardly any this year so I have limited knowledge as far as what others thought. I, for one, fully expected we would lose against Prep. Someone on here said that we'd lose because we wouldn't be facing the same team as what we did last year but a far more accurate statement was that HARVEST wasn't facing the same team they did last year. How can you replace a duo like Carpenter and Ty Perkins?

We had a good team this year, a very good team with some hard working talented young men on it but I felt there were a few things missing to make them a great team. I do believe the next couple of years, we shall see an improvement. Either way, come next year of the Lord allows me, I'll be sitting there watching my Tigers and just enjoying the game I'm watching at that time.

IMO their O and D line has been their biggest weaknesses last couple years

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

JosephLeeB9 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:20 pm

IMO their O and D line has been their biggest weaknesses last couple years

I agree and he hasn't brought in the first lineman in his recruiting process!!! Only skill people and has showed in the big game the last 3 years.

Yh8awinner
Freshman Team

Post by Yh8awinner »

XandOs wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:04 pm
Yh8awinner wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:04 pm Ironton people and those that have moved in just need to face the facts. Pendleton has a good line but has no clue how to actually coach a football team. That's why he loads up to try and make up for that because he knows Ironton and him can't do it the way it's meant to. Give me burg coaching staff any day to improve a kid on and off the field. You beat you chests every season but post Lutz people have no clue of what all it really takes. That coaching staff will never make it happen. They just don't have the mindset.
Do you guys know Pendleton personally to speculate on his work ethic and mindset. All you burgites may need to talk to people that’s actually been around the program or on inside before you assume.
I never said he didn't have any work ethic. Just saying he makes up for "his lack there of " coaching by bringing 4 or 5 and then some new kids every year. That's plenty to win most games in d5. You can't tell me his teams have never really gotten better as the season went since he has been there. He has not developed 1 kid in his career st Ironton they already were before they showed up their junior or senior year. If it wasn't for his connections and the underperforming staff he has intentionally hired just because of their connections Ironton would be maybe just a bit better than the vass days. Sounds like the true Ironton people are finally getting fed up with watching him bring in kids to replace their kids that have worked their asses off to play in tank stadium on Friday nights only to watch these kids lose when it counts most.
For the one's that keep drinking the Kool aid looks like you better add some more sugar because that stuff is probably getting a little sour by now. I don't post on here very often but when I do I just speak the obvious. Kids around here and Ironton fans are surely seeing what's going on. Your second coming of bob Lutz isn't coming. Pendleton isn't a hair on his ass. Luts would have 1 at least 1 championship if not more in the last 5 years. I know burgs staff would have!

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

Yh8awinner wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:59 am
I never said he didn't have any work ethic. Just saying he makes up for "his lack there of " coaching by bringing 4 or 5 and then some new kids every year. That's plenty to win most games in d5. You can't tell me his teams have never really gotten better as the season went since he has been there. He has not developed 1 kid in his career st Ironton they already were before they showed up their junior or senior year. If it wasn't for his connections and the underperforming staff he has intentionally hired just because of their connections Ironton would be maybe just a bit better than the vass days. Sounds like the true Ironton people are finally getting fed up with watching him bring in kids to replace their kids that have worked their asses off to play in tank stadium on Friday nights only to watch these kids lose when it counts most.
For the one's that keep drinking the Kool aid looks like you better add some more sugar because that stuff is probably getting a little sour by now. I don't post on here very often but when I do I just speak the obvious. Kids around here and Ironton fans are surely seeing what's going on. Your second coming of bob Lutz isn't coming. Pendleton isn't a hair on his ass. Luts would have 1 at least 1 championship if not more in the last 5 years. I know burgs staff would have!
You lost me when you said “He has not developed 1 kid in his career st Ironton they already were before they showed up their junior or senior year”

The weight lifting program at Ironton is arguably the best in the area. He works with kids during the offseason to focus on weight gain, speed and strength. This years junior class is 90% kids that has been at Ironton since their freshman year including Terry. Josh Johnson CB is a kid that has had a tremendous jump from only playing JV to being one of Ironton’s best defensive players. He will have college offers soon. The Ironton staff is 100% developing players.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

If you are JB then I know you to be an honorable and a straight shooter man. I'd never question anything you'd post on this site, or any other

Yh8awinner
Freshman Team

Post by Yh8awinner »

Bfan99 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:48 am
Yh8awinner wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:59 am

You lost me when you said “He has not developed 1 kid in his career st Ironton they already were before they showed up their junior or senior year”

The weight lifting program at Ironton is arguably the best in the area. He works with kids during the offseason to focus on weight gain, speed and strength. This years junior class is 90% kids that has been at Ironton since their freshman year including Terry. Josh Johnson CB is a kid that has had a tremendous jump from only playing JV to being one of Ironton’s best defensive players. He will have college offers soon. The Ironton staff is 100% developing players.
Let me rephrase that. His line of making all these kids better so they can make it to a D1 school when 95% of these kids that he got there aren't from Ironton and only spent 1 or 2 years there. They were developed by other programs already.

gobucs20
Freshman Team

Post by gobucs20 »

I thought the play calling in this game was terrible also. With a player like Terry? Why would you not do everything can to get him multiple touches. If he's being double in triple teamed put him in the back field. Run a jet sweep. Do whatever it takes. But as always the most glaring issue are the turnovers and penalties. Does anyone close to the program know if kids are ever punished for turnovers and dumb penalties? Or does the coaching staff just not care?. It appears that they dont. I understand that the local radio guys arent going to ask him tough questions like this when they interview him but i wish they would. No dog in the fight but go Wheelersburg. Your team sounds like it is peaking at the right time.

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

XandOs wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:37 pm
SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:30 pm I would agree this team wasn’t near as talented as last years team, but if any other team in Southern Ohio had the talent on this team and went out in the 3rd round (would be 2nd before) then fans would be calling for their job. It blows my mind to read posts about not having this or that. They have a lineman committed to Eastern Michigan. A receiver with offers from most every Power 5 school east of the Mississippi. Numerous other guys who will play college ball and 60 kids on a roster. Heck most school’s don’t have 2 kids who are qualified to play varsity quarterback and fans are arguing who it should be. It’s crazy.

As with every other year, when Ironton plays a team where coaching becomes a priority and the talent is close, they loose.
Maybe the talent level isn’t as great as some think. You ever thought maybe the College stuff wouldn’t happen if Pendleton wasn’t pushing them so hard with his connections. Just an observation that many have said. Pendleton and staff haven’t had a Jermon Jackson or Walt Delong or anyone like that yet.
Carrico was a better football player than Delong, not even close.

Return to “Football”