November 10, 2023 Barnesville 13 - 36 Wheelersburg

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

November 10, 2023 Barnesville 13 - 36 Wheelersburg

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Any thoughts on this game?

Barnesville comes in undefeated but only played 1 DV school in the regular season. The other 8 games were 4 DVI and 4 DVII.

Burg played them at Barnesville last year and came away with a 55-31 win with Derrick Lattimore rushing for over 250 yards in that game.

I believe Burg's defense is way better at this stage of the season then last years team. Should be a great 3rd round matchup.

522Pirate
Varsity

Re: RD 3-DV Region 19 -#7 Wheelersburg vs. # 3 Barnesville

Post by 522Pirate »

Fantastic 50 had Burg as a 10 point favorite…watched their game last name on YouTube and announcer said their top 2 defenders were out. They return the Starr kid who was an 2nd team all state rb last year
Last edited by 522Pirate on Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

522Pirate wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:33 am Fantastic 50 had Burg as a 10 point favorite…watched their game last name on YouTube and announcer said there top 2 defenders were out. They return the Starr kid who is was an all state rb last year
I look for Warren to have a big game. Plus, Burg didn't have the receivers like they have in Lattimore and Evans this year. They can't load the box to shut down the run.

Burg's defense is playing about the best I have seen out of a Burg team since the 2017 team. They get a lot of helmets to the ball and then they flat out drill the runner, hence the two fumbles early last night.

Risner might be one of the best DE's I've ever seen at Burg.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

What do we know about Barnesville? Offense, passing or running team? How good is the D?

Their schedule seems to be somewhat soft.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:54 am
522Pirate wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:33 am Fantastic 50 had Burg as a 10 point favorite…watched their game last name on YouTube and announcer said there top 2 defenders were out. They return the Starr kid who is was an all state rb last year
I look for Warren to have a big game. Plus, Burg didn't have the receivers like they have in Lattimore and Evans this year. They can't load the box to shut down the run.

Burg's defense is playing about the best I have seen out of a Burg team since the 2017 team. They get a lot of helmets to the ball and then they flat out drill the runner, hence the two fumbles early last night.

Interesting, I’ve watched every Burg game and not had that thought once about Risner. Heck of a player for sure not denying that. Just hadn’t thought of him as one to the Best in school history

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

I said it when the brackets came out, Burg sleep walks their way to the Regional Championship game vs Ironton or HP. I don’t see this game being much different than last season. Burg wins comfortably, another alcohol game 21+.

Prediction: 35-7

Bunker Hill
Freshman Team

Post by Bunker Hill »

Barnesville needs to , has to play their best game of the season if they want to win.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:47 pm

Interesting, I’ve watched every Burg game and not had that thought once about Risner. Heck of a player for sure not denying that. Just hadn’t thought of him as one to the Best in school history
Clearly you’re not very good at evaluating talent then.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:47 pm

I guess I needed to put a JMO because that's just what it is, my opinion. Your opinion is different. That is fine.

I think he has been playing lights out these last 5-6 weeks and has disrupted a lot of plays in the backfield and forced the QB to throw early or get the sack. Hell, at least 4-5 times last night he almost took the handoff on the play.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Burg with the running clock. They are peaking at the right time and this the time of year when a tough schedule pays off.*

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I’m not certain this will be a blowout game for burg. Barnesville looks very good offensively and they are balanced. Defense is stout up the middle. Depth and Barnesville schedule may be the difference in this game. Burg will need to continue to play well to win.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

Burg 28-7. Burg line will be too big, and too strong for Barnesville.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Wheelersburg’s kickoff returns haven’t been spectacular but Barnesville did give up two kickoff returns for TD’s to South Point so that may be something to watch for as well. I agree with woby…I don’t think this will be a cakewalk especially early on. We may wear them down later on and tack on an extra score or two but we had better take care of business. Barnesville’s QB last year was really good in the run game but he graduated and from the little I watched of them the last two games this years QB isn’t as good running.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

522Pirate wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:47 am Wheelersburg’s kickoff returns haven’t been spectacular but Barnesville did give up two kickoff returns for TD’s to South Point so that may be something to watch for as well. I agree with woby…I don’t think this will be a cakewalk especially early on. We may wear them down later on and tack on an extra score or two but we had better take care of business. Barnesville’s QB last year was really good in the run game but he graduated and from the little I watched of them the last two games this years QB isn’t as good running.
good take

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

wobycat wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:10 pm I’m not certain this will be a blowout game for burg. Barnesville looks very good offensively and they are balanced. Defense is stout up the middle. Depth and Barnesville schedule may be the difference in this game. Burg will need to continue to play well to win.
Barnesville seems to be building a quality program for their area, but their schedule does them no favors preparing for this game. Wheelersburg will be the best team Barnesville has faced, probably by a good margin. Barnesville at their best will be the 4th best team Wheelersburg has faced, I’d say closer to 5th or 6th.

I could see a Wheelersburg win anywhere between 7 points and a running clock. Barnesville will need some things to go their way to win this one.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Just announced game is being played at Hamilton Township. Great stadium. Burg played there in 2013beating Martins Ferry 45-0.

Nicknevada86
Varsity

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Burg 31-14

Purplesage
Freshman Team

Post by Purplesage »

I’ve said this from the beginning of the year this region goes through Wheelersburg! That #7 is laughable but with all do respects it is a direct reflection of their schedule. There are some weak sisters down there! I always say unless you play up in the regular season your asking for a hard time in the playoffs so believe me while I do think Wheelersburg should be favored I will not count the “Rocks” out. In their last meeting it was a lot closer than the final score as Wheelersburg made several big plays the had a cap off score at the end so can’t count Barnesville out.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

I believe Burg takes this one. They’ve been playing great “team” ball these past few weeks. Barnesville might hang around for a bit, but I think Burgs depth, with their ability to rotate players in and out will make a difference. Win this game and have a rematch with either Ironton or Prep.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

First off I'll throw a black rock at roll coal. I worked in the mining industry. Great bunch of people. Look overseas at all the coal that is burned. They are building new coal fired energy plants in bunches. A lot of the coal mined in America goes across the pond. Enougj said from me and if you wanna reply, I'll be glad to discuss facts with you.
Anyways, this is a high school football site and I'll stick with that. I believe Burg takes this one. I always like this time of year because usually the Burg plays North and I can go watch them with my daughters who are Burg grads..As always, the Burg gets everyone's best but I think they survive and thrive another week.

Return to “Football”