Off-season Fantasy Matchups: Part one; 2017 Wheelersburg VS 2023 Kirtland: Who Wins & why?

Tri_State79
Varsity

Off-season Fantasy Matchups: Part one; 2017 Wheelersburg VS 2023 Kirtland: Who Wins & why?

Post by Tri_State79 »

Lets hear it.

A new fantasy matchup Friday.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Re: Off-season Fantasy Matchups: Part one; 2017 Wheelersburg VS 2023 Kirtland: Who Wins & why?

Post by LockHerUp »

Kirtland comfortably... 2017 burg was a very good team, obviously. They were not, however, MAC-good or Kirtland-good. They were extremely lucky in that playoff run - in that they didn't have to play such teams. Thet squeaked by teams that were far inferior to the Hornets, Coldwater, etc.

gobucs20
Freshman Team

Re: Off-season Fantasy Matchups: Part one; 2017 Wheelersburg VS 2023 Kirtland: Who Wins & why?

Post by gobucs20 »

Kirtland. Nuff said

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Kirtland by a lot. Different animal

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

neutral field
[2023] Kirtland (OH) 28 (65%), [2017] Wheelersburg (OH) 21 (35%)

neutral field
[2023] Kirtland (OH) 31 (87%), [2019] Ironton (OH) 14 (13%)

The OP is bored. must not have to work at Walmart until later.

There are two teams that I believe were good enough to win it all that I have watched in the past 10 years.

2017 Burg
2019 Ironton

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I would put Burg's defense from 2017 up against any of the above mentioned teams. For the entire 15 games that year, Burg's defense gave up 8.5 points per game. They held Eastwood to 14 points in the title game. Eastwood averaged 39.5 points per game. The Burg's offense could score pretty much when they needed to. Burg averaged 39.6 points per game that year.

I think the game would have been close like was projected up above. 7 point swing either way. One mistake by either team could have been the deciding factor.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:21 pm I would put Burg's defense from 2017 up against any of the above mentioned teams. For the entire 15 games that year, Burg's defense gave up 8.5 points per game. They held Eastwood to 14 points in the title game. Eastwood averaged 39.5 points per game. The Burg's offense could score pretty much when they needed to. Burg averaged 39.6 points per game that year.

I think the game would have been close like was projected up above. 7 point swing either way. One mistake by either team could have been the deciding factor.
I would take that Burg team over Kirtland. Burg D was lights out, and the O had a lot of weapons. Could spread it out or go power run; very diverse. Marion Local’s best teams would beat 2017 Burg, but I’m not sure Kirtland has had any teams that good.

Burg was ranked around 20 that year regardless of school size. Only ML, of the small schools, was ranked higher; they were #11.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

LockHerUp wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:48 am Kirtland comfortably... 2017 burg was a very good team, obviously. They were not, however, MAC-good or Kirtland-good. They were extremely lucky in that playoff run - in that they didn't have to play such teams. Thet squeaked by teams that were far inferior to the Hornets, Coldwater, etc.
Interesting run down but keep in mind Kirtland got destroyed by the MAC in the title game that year 34-11. Burg's first round opponent that year was Bishop Ready who beat Coldwater 28-0 in the regular season and Burg beat Bishop 34-0. Eastwood that year had just got past a undefeated South Range team you know the same South Range team that would beat the brakes off Ironton in the title last year. Burg was able to get past Madison in a close one, Madison's 1st round opponent that year a 7-3 Anna team out of the MAC in a close one 14-10.

So what does all of this mean? Not a darn thing because it's 2023 and no one can play that scenario out, heck just what little I ran down here takes your entire argument away. Kirtland comfortably because they're on the MAC's level that year, oh wait they got drilled in the title game so guess what Kirtland wasn't anywhere near the MAC level that year if you look up Kirtland vs those MAC schools I believe you'll find they have a losing record. Kirtland during that season beat 1 team with a winning record in the regular season and only by 7 42-35, Burg in comparison beat 4 teams with 7 wins or greater and no game was close. I get everyone seen Kirtland on TV and seen them winning the title but I think most forget how truly great that 2017 Burg squad was and it's one of the reasons you really can't make a comparison. As Burg played teams that wanted to play that smash style and they beat every single one of them.

slayter
Riding the Bench

Post by slayter »

I just wasn’t that impressed with Burg that season. Kirtland this year would’ve wiped the floor with them. All around a better team from nose guard to punter

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:52 pm
LockHerUp wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:48 am Kirtland comfortably... 2017 burg was a very good team, obviously. They were not, however, MAC-good or Kirtland-good. They were extremely lucky in that playoff run - in that they didn't have to play such teams. Thet squeaked by teams that were far inferior to the Hornets, Coldwater, etc.
Interesting run down but keep in mind Kirtland got destroyed by the MAC in the title game that year 34-11. Burg's first round opponent that year was Bishop Ready who beat Coldwater 28-0 in the regular season and Burg beat Bishop 34-0. Eastwood that year had just got past a undefeated South Range team you know the same South Range team that would beat the brakes off Ironton in the title last year. Burg was able to get past Madison in a close one, Madison's 1st round opponent that year a 7-3 Anna team out of the MAC in a close one 14-10.

So what does all of this mean? Not a darn thing because it's 2023 and no one can play that scenario out, heck just what little I ran down here takes your entire argument away. Kirtland comfortably because they're on the MAC's level that year, oh wait they got drilled in the title game so guess what Kirtland wasn't anywhere near the MAC level that year if you look up Kirtland vs those MAC schools I believe you'll find they have a losing record. Kirtland during that season beat 1 team with a winning record in the regular season and only by 7 42-35, Burg in comparison beat 4 teams with 7 wins or greater and no game was close. I get everyone seen Kirtland on TV and seen them winning the title but I think most forget how truly great that 2017 Burg squad was and it's one of the reasons you really can't make a comparison. As Burg played teams that wanted to play that smash style and they beat every single one of them.
Well said.

That Burg D looked exactly like a Marion Local D. They lived in the backfield and never missed a tackle. They were excellent!

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

You do realize the title says 2023 Kirtland, and you are rambling on about 2017 Kirtland

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Bird Dog wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:19 pm

You do realize the title says 2023 Kirtland, and you are rambling on about 2017 Kirtland
Yep because I'm actually going to compare something I can look at and view, Kirtland was 14-1 that year. Thanks for the heads up and reading though

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Bird Dog wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:19 pm

2017 Burg would have beaten 2023 Kirtland as well.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Anyone who puts a knock on the 2017 burg team is clueless about football. That team was legit. Not even close to a fluke winning the title. Having said that, it still took luck to win it. When you play for a title you have to have the mindset that you are going to have to beat a team that mirrors your strengths or perhaps is even better. Kirtland and Marion local have that mindset. It’s why they repeat a lot.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

I'll give you all credit you can hang on to the past with the best of them. Hell, it only took the Athens fans about 5 years to quit talking about the greatest team ever from this part of the state.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Bird Dog wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:18 pm I'll give you all credit you can hang on to the past with the best of them. Hell, it only took the Athens fans about 5 years to quit talking about the greatest team ever from this part of the state.
“Hang on to the past?” This was a thread started by a someone not from Burg. Now we are just debating the topic, one which you are also involved.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

tigernation, thanks for monitoring my posts. I still think you're wrong. The original question was in regard to burg '17 and Kirtland '23. I was speaking in the larger sense when I said burg '17 was not the same caliber as a typical MAC or Kirtland team. You need to zero in on the topic at hand and not stray off on irrelevant tangents. My opinion is that burg '17 team was a great team - not one "for the ages", though.
Kirtland '23 beats burg '17 comfortably.
I'm willing to admit that this is a matter of opinion, however.
Sorry, tigernation, for taking your entire argument away...

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

LockHerUp wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:08 pm tigernation, thanks for monitoring my posts. I still think you're wrong. The original question was in regard to burg '17 and Kirtland '23. I was speaking in the larger sense when I said burg '17 was not the same caliber as a typical MAC or Kirtland team. You need to zero in on the topic at hand and not stray off on irrelevant tangents. My opinion is that burg '17 team was a great team - not one "for the ages", though.
neutral field

neutral field

Not sure how anyone can compare teams from years apart but to think burg was an average team is a horrible assessment. And makes me wonder if you actually watched their play objectively. That Eastwood team was legit in all phases.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

wobycat wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:04 pm
LockHerUp wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:08 pm tigernation, thanks for monitoring my posts. I still think you're wrong. The original question was in regard to burg '17 and Kirtland '23. I was speaking in the larger sense when I said burg '17 was not the same caliber as a typical MAC or Kirtland team. You need to zero in on the topic at hand and not stray off on irrelevant tangents. My opinion is that burg '17 team was a great team - not one "for the ages", though.
neutral field

neutral field

Not sure how anyone can compare teams from years apart but to think burg was an average team is a horrible assessment. And makes me wonder if you actually watched their play objectively. That Eastwood team was legit in all phases.

Eastwood's defense was legit but Burg's was just better. Burg shut down some high powered offenses that whole tourney run. Best Burg team I've ever seen.

Return to “Football”