What will it take for an SEOP area team to rise up to state-level competitor?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

What will it take for an SEOP area team to rise up to state-level competitor?

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

First, no disrespect is meant.
Besides Ironton and Wheelersburg, who both for the most part have achieved this, then a step below but above the other SEOP teams I say is Jackson. My question without anyone ragging on any school, what do you feel the rest of the schools need to do?

Tri_State79
Varsity

Re: What will it take for an SEOP area team to rise up to state-level competitor?

Post by Tri_State79 »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:20 am First, no disrespect is meant.
Besides Ironton and Wheelersburg, who both for the most part have achieved this, then a step below but above the other SEOP teams I say is Jackson. My question without anyone ragging on any school, what do you feel the rest of the schools need to do?
Seo needs to change their culture all together

FIDO
S

Re: What will it take for an SEOP area team to rise up to state-level competitor?

Post by FIDO »

Tri_State79 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:57 pm
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:20 am First, no disrespect is meant.
The reality is the SEO region cannot compete on the big stage, consistently winning the final game. It's okay, the sun will shine and tomorrow will present new challenges.

CuckooNest
Riding the Bench

Post by CuckooNest »

Simply put, an economic and population influx that this area hasn’t seen since the steel mill era.

Sure there will be a team or two a decade make a run. But SEO will never be perennial contenders. More than half of kids earning varsity letters would be riding the pine outside of SEO.

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

we are off to a good start getting you out of the area. Can't be diluting the gene pool.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

FIDO wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:33 am
The reality is the SEO region cannot compete on the big stage, consistently winning the final game. It's okay, the sun will shine and tomorrow will present new challenges.
Nope and the other reality most forget is that even teams not in the SEO can't compete on the big stage either. As you watch each of the regions unfold you see a lot of the same team there year after year and in the end only 7 teams win the entire thing anyways. Some want to say SEO which consist mainly of small schools and small traditions where they're hiring coaching positions with a teacher willing to take the position. Then some want to say NEO but the MAC is not NEO and dominates the competition. We see Cincy schools competing but a lot of times it's the same ones year after year. All of this is lost to most but as a whole Ohio has what 12-20 schools maybe across 7 divisions that have a legit shot at winning the title. You throw names out like Kirtland, Marion Local, St. Edward, Cin. Wyoming, Hoban, TCC are typically teams you think of at least 2 or more of those teams each year will make the title game. Then you toss in the private school section of some of those and you really start to dwindle the actual numbers of teams in Ohio who will compete at the state level.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

What will it take?
.how's about a FANTASY LEAGUE. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Baldeagle wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:22 am
we are off to a good start getting you out of the area. Can't be diluting the gene pool.
Seo is in good shape with guys like u who get fired for beating on 120lbs females.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

greygoose wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:10 am
FIDO wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:33 am

Nope and the other reality most forget is that even teams not in the SEO can't compete on the big stage either. As you watch each of the regions unfold you see a lot of the same team there year after year and in the end only 7 teams win the entire thing anyways. Some want to say SEO which consist mainly of small schools and small traditions where they're hiring coaching positions with a teacher willing to take the position. Then some want to say NEO but the MAC is not NEO and dominates the competition. We see Cincy schools competing but a lot of times it's the same ones year after year. All of this is lost to most but as a whole Ohio has what 12-20 schools maybe across 7 divisions that have a legit shot at winning the title. You throw names out like Kirtland, Marion Local, St. Edward, Cin. Wyoming, Hoban, TCC are typically teams you think of at least 2 or more of those teams each year will make the title game. Then you toss in the private school section of some of those and you really start to dwindle the actual numbers of teams in Ohio who will compete at the state level.
Exactly. Enjoy your moment and your ride. Then embellish like he!! when you become older. It isn't that serious. Small taters in the game of life.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

It’s going to take several things. Firstly a coach that can motivate the players, players buying in, the community getting behind the team, parents letting the coach actually coach, and a little bit of luck doesn’t hurt either.
Look at Kirtland for example. Tough, gritty, never quit attitude from the players. A simple, yet effective approach to the game. I would rather have a group of players that want to play as a “ team “ and give it their all every game, rather than a couple of stud players that only care about padding their stats. And a coach that expects more from the players and coaches them not only in football, but in life in general. That, to me, is what it will take to get a team from SEO a title.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

RollCoal wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:16 pm It’s going to take several things. Firstly a coach that can motivate the players, players buying in, the community getting behind the team, parents letting the coach actually coach, and a little bit of luck doesn’t hurt either.
Look at Kirtland for example. Tough, gritty, never quit attitude from the players. A simple, yet effective approach to the game. I would rather have a group of players that want to play as a “ team “ and give it their all every game, rather than a couple of stud players that only care about padding their stats. And a coach that expects more from the players and coaches them not only in football, but in life in general. That, to me, is what it will take to get a team from SEO a title.
I agree with you it also helps when A team has stability The MAC teams Kirtland has had that.
They have has coaches there for 15 plus years and the kids do buy into the programs.
Ironton's coach is still relatively young in the coaching game and will learn more as he progresses.
Wheelersburg staff is a pretty good staff winning with what they have and winning SOC tittles and making the playoffs.
GA is trying to build something as is Jackson.
Community support helps greatly so does stability.
and that starts at the top and works down to where the kids buy into the program from Grade school up.

CuckooNest
Riding the Bench

Post by CuckooNest »

A nuclear power plant in Piketon and an Amazon hub at the Minford airport would help.

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

A team with a perfected system of the old triple option with a strong minded head coach. Pass maybe 2 times a game. When run correctly, it bleeds the clock and limits possessions of the more talented teams and keeps the games against them close most of the time. I watched for years Wheelersburg's own Brian White win 2 state titles and long playoff runs at Hilliard Davidson doing that in Division 1 against teams with far superior talent. Would any community nowadays put up with that system though ?

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

fielddaddy wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:36 pm
RollCoal wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:16 pm It’s going to take several things. Firstly a coach that can motivate the players, players buying in, the community getting behind the team, parents letting the coach actually coach, and a little bit of luck doesn’t hurt either.
I agree with you it also helps when A team has stability The MAC teams Kirtland has had that.
They have has coaches there for 15 plus years and the kids do buy into the programs.
Ironton's coach is still relatively young in the coaching game and will learn more as he progresses.
Wheelersburg staff is a pretty good staff winning with what they have and winning SOC tittles and making the playoffs.
GA is trying to build something as is Jackson.
Community support helps greatly so does stability.
and that starts at the top and works down to where the kids buy into the program from Grade school up.
Absolutely. You can’t have a revolving door when it comes to the coach. A lot of people think that hiring someone new will yield success right away. It takes time to build up a program. Give the coach 3-5 years and evaluate how the program has progressed or regressed over that period of time. Also from a player or parent standpoint, if your not playing as much as you would like to, then put in the work and improve yourself to give yourself the best opportunity to get better.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Wildcatone wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:22 pm A team with a perfected system of the old triple option with a strong minded head coach. Pass maybe 2 times a game. When run correctly, it bleeds the clock and limits possessions of the more talented teams and keeps the games against them close most of the time. I watched for years Wheelersburg's own Brian White win 2 state titles and long playoff runs at Hilliard Davidson doing that in Division 1 against teams with far superior talent. Would any community nowadays put up with that system though ?
Kirtland doesn’t run the triple option, but their offense is about as dull as it gets. Some even complain about how boring Kirtland’s offense is to watch.

That said, you are 100% correct. Teams with inferior talent can win big with this approach.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

It’s basically impossible we don’t get that many people move into the area and teams are getting smaller younger people are moving out of the area so population is growing older

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Izladoom wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:21 am It’s basically impossible we don’t get that many people move into the area and teams are getting smaller younger people are moving out of the area so population is growing older
Exactly. The best most area teams can hope for is a playoff win. For now, the Burg and Ironton have the ability to compete for regional titles. And that's 💯 dependent on recruiting and/or legit transfers.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Izladoom wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:21 am It’s basically impossible we don’t get that many people move into the area and teams are getting smaller younger people are moving out of the area so population is growing older
While true, a big issue facing all schools in the area except Burg and Ironton is participation. The schools simply don’t get enough of their boys to play football.

Example: Burg has 176 boys compared to West’s 160 and Minford’s 171. That makes Burg +17 and +5 with regards to boys in the school.
But boys on the team, Burg is around 70-75 with West and Minford around 45. Burg is +25 to +30 with regards to players. And 70-75 is not high for Burg that was over 80 during their state championship year.

Only IHS and Burg are able to get participation numbers to be remotely competitive at the state level. 45 boys on the team simply will not be state competitive at any division!

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I think the participation might be from parents not allowing their sons to play football I have talked to a few who have said this

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Izladoom wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:47 am I think the participation might be from parents not allowing their sons to play football I have talked to a few who have said this
I get that. Although most of us survived playing with minor aches and pains, football can result in serious injury (ie Eric Wallace).

This is why the NFL and college football have taken such a strong approach in removing, as much as possible, the extremely violent contact to the head and/or to “defenseless” players.

Return to “Football”