SOC to vote on 3 Football Divisions (Thurs.)

GoBucks1047
Varsity

SOC to vote on 3 Football Divisions (Thurs.)

Post by GoBucks1047 »

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: SOC to vote on 3 Football Divisions (Thurs.)

Post by greygoose »

Very interesting as obviously they have to bring in more teams to have the ability to do this and for that to come to a vote right now they must have teams in mind or have spoken to them who could be leaning towards a move.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

greygoose wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:23 pm Very interesting as obviously they have to bring in more teams to have the ability to do this and for that to come to a vote right now they must have teams in mind or have spoken to them who could be leaning towards a move.
Jackson
River Valley
Wellston
Rock hill
Gallia
Piketon

I’d imagine calls would be made to at least those schools.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Dundas wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:02 pm
greygoose wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:23 pm Very interesting as obviously they have to bring in more teams to have the ability to do this and for that to come to a vote right now they must have teams in mind or have spoken to them who could be leaning towards a move.
Jackson
River Valley
Wellston
Rock hill
Gallia
Piketon

I'd take Jackson off of that list they seem very content in the FAC and were part of trying to pull other teams in, plus you've got SOC teams that have no interest in having Jackson in the SOC. I'd substitute Portsmouth over Jackson if I had to take a guess. Even Piketon is a stretch in trying to get them to leave SVC.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

greygoose wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:24 pm
Jackson
River Valley
Wellston
Rock hill
Gallia
Piketon

I'd take Jackson off of that list they seem very content in the FAC and were part of trying to pull other teams in, plus you've got SOC teams that have no interest in having Jackson in the SOC. I'd substitute Portsmouth over Jackson if I had to take a guess. Even Piketon is a stretch in trying to get them to leave SVC.
You may be right about jackson. I left out Portsmouth just because I thought they’ve tried multiple times to join and were denied. It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Portsmouth is a no brainer, as far as I'm concerned. They already play Valley and West annually.
They may not want anything to do with the SOC now.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Call Ironton. I’d imagine they would love to be in the conference with Wheelersburg.

jujubean
Freshman Team

Post by jujubean »

Will they pander to Northwest like the basketball and baseball divisions?

If you can't hang with the big boys then get completely out of the league...go play football in the SHAC.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

How many schools would the soc need to add to create 3 divisions?

GoBucks1047
Varsity

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Dundas wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:19 pm

Jackson
River Valley
Wellston
Rock hill
Gallia
Piketon

You may be right about jackson. I left out Portsmouth just because I thought they’ve tried multiple times to join and were denied. It’ll be interesting to see what happens.
I could see Manchester as a football only add.

As things stand right now, I could see the SOC go something like this (not taking into account of additional expansion).

SOC I:
East
Green
Notre Dame
Manchester*

SOC II:
Eastern
Northwest
Oak Hill
South Gallia
Symmes Valley

SOC III:
Minford
Valley
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg

In an ideal world, we'd see the SOC merge with the OVC (including Ironton FB), add 2 of River Valley, Piketon, and Wellston as full members and Manchester as a football only member for 28 olympic sport members and 24 football members and split into 4 divisions. That way it allows 12 conference games in olympic sports and 5 conference games in football for all teams and plenty of games for teams to schedule non-conference as they desire.

jujubean
Freshman Team

Post by jujubean »

Why are people insistent on placing the D6 Valley squad in the "Big" conference? Makes no sense to me. You gain nothing getting beat up on by WB, West and Waverly if you are a small school. And truthfully, we get nothing out of it but a W and a few playoff points. I would rather play NW which is the bigger school and get their playoff points.

Some will say it doesn't matter because of the expanded playoff format, but it does. I'd rather be in position for a higher seed any day. It may make sense to play up in baseball and basketball like Webster and Valley do, but in football? Nah, not when you're trying to build numbers.

Dan-The-Man
Riding the Bench

Post by Dan-The-Man »

jujubean wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:06 pm Why are people insistent on placing the D6 Valley squad in the "Big" conference? Makes no sense to me. You gain nothing getting beat up on by WB, West and Waverly if you are a small school. And truthfully, we get nothing out of it but a W and a few playoff points. I would rather play NW which is the bigger school and get their playoff points.

Some will say it doesn't matter because of the expanded playoff format, but it does. I'd rather be in position for a higher seed any day. It may make sense to play up in baseball and basketball like Webster and Valley do, but in football? Nah, not when you're trying to build numbers.
I agree. Both NW and Oak Hill are bigger than Valley. I can not imagine Valley would be happy with that because I don’t see it helping them at all. As stated, they get outnumbered as it is.

I have no idea what this would look like. I can’t see it working with the current schools in the SOC.

GoBucks1047
Varsity

Post by GoBucks1047 »

jujubean wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:06 pm Why are people insistent on placing the D6 Valley squad in the "Big" conference? Makes no sense to me. You gain nothing getting beat up on by WB, West and Waverly if you are a small school. And truthfully, we get nothing out of it but a W and a few playoff points. I would rather play NW which is the bigger school and get their playoff points.

I assume it's the same reason D4 South Webster is in the big school division in olympic sports, gate $$$ from the bigger schools.

Courier_2022
Waterboy

Post by Courier_2022 »

1. Ironton
2. Burg
3. West
4. Minford
5. Portsmouth
6. Waverly

Jackson won't make the cut IMO. The teams listed are in the same division, right?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

GoBucks1047 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:58 pm
Dundas wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:19 pm

I could see Manchester as a football only add.

As things stand right now, I could see the SOC go something like this (not taking into account of additional expansion).

SOC I:
East
Green
Notre Dame
Manchester*

SOC II:
Eastern
Northwest
Oak Hill
South Gallia
Symmes Valley

SOC III:
Minford
Valley
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg

In an ideal world, we'd see the SOC merge with the OVC (including Ironton FB), add 2 of River Valley, Piketon, and Wellston as full members and Manchester as a football only member for 28 olympic sport members and 24 football members and split into 4 divisions. That way it allows 12 conference games in olympic sports and 5 conference games in football for all teams and plenty of games for teams to schedule non-conference as they desire.
As it stands take Manchester off of there they’re not in SOC. This setup doesn’t work at all you think minford and valley go for this?? Then you’ve got D7s in there with 5s. They have to add schools this setup has too many teams searching for non conference opponents.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

SOC and OVC merging for football only would be perfect solution. Don’t see it happening though as Ironton going independent in football solved most of OVC’s problems.

Regardless what happens, I assume schedules are already set for next year and 3rd division won’t go into effect until 2025 season.*

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

My guess is that the SOC 1 stays as is and the OVC and SOC teams form two new divisions as follows.

Big Division

Gallia Academy
Fairland
Portsmouth
Waverly
Wheelersburg
Portsmouth West

Middle Division

Coal Grove
Chesapeake
South Point
Rock Hill
Minford
Valley
Northwest
Oak Hill

Arbiter list most of the OVC teams games for next year as canceled. I don’t know if this is a result of a reshuffling because of Ironton leaving for football or some other reason.

jujubean
Freshman Team

Post by jujubean »

Gate money makes sense in basketball and other sports when you play a home/away series. Football you have a Wheelersburg gate once every 2 years and same for the others. I don't buy into that at all. It's not a West/Wheelersburg gate it's Valley taking an L. To me, producing a winner gets a bigger gate. Just my 2 cents worth.

billythekid69
Waterboy

Post by billythekid69 »

Unioto would be the addition to the big boy division.
SOC I:
East
Green
Notre Dame
Manchester*
South Gallia

SOC II:
Eastern
Northwest
Oak Hill
Lucasville Valley
Symmes Valley

SOC III:
Minford
Unioto*
Waverly
West
Wheelersburg

CuckooNest
Riding the Bench

Post by CuckooNest »

As long as their enrollment is as low as it is I can’t imagine they want in that division. Maybe play a team or two from it but not week in week out.

Return to “Football”