SOC to vote on 3 Football Divisions (Thurs.)

IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

Re: SOC to vote on 3 Football Divisions (Thurs.)

Post by IrontonTigers#1 »

FIDO wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:48 am
TigerBob wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:20 pm
FIDO wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:12 pm

The solutions are there but the will isn't. The top division I wanna see more than anything else, minus Minford and Valley. They couldn't realistically compete annually. 5 league games and you allow teams to play opponents in the middle tier, traditional competition and/or schedule up.
It seems clear to me that Oak Hill and Northwest have no place in the SOC as currently set up. Oak Hill and Northwest want no part of being in SOC2, and I imagine most of the rest of those teams aren't thrilled with playing them every year. The SOC1 teams have no interest in playing them or they'd already be there. So those two schools are leaving at the first chance they get. Northwest probably doesn't have a great option, but Oak Hill does.

So, the SOC2 in football will be left with Wheelersburg, West, Waverly, Valley, and Minford. That's a league I guess, but not a great one. You're guaranteed a team on a bye every week and you don't start league play until W6. You're still finding six games a year, which is a lot, and these need to be found during the back half of the year when everyone is in their league play. Maybe Northwest stays in, which fixes your bye issues and makes a clean 5 game schedule, but they offer little to nothing from a competition standpoint.

Either way Northwest decides, the SOC2 should be looking to improve their football league. Jackson would be a great fit but they seem to have finally found a place. Someone should make the call and be told no, but the call should be made. The OVC schools are the only other options that make sense. Chesapeake, Rock Hill, South Point, and Coal Grove would likely have no interest in becoming the SOC2's newest version of Oak Hill and Northwest. Gallia wouldn't be a great fit in all sports, but as a football only option it makes more sense. Fairland is much of the same story. Portsmouth is by far the best option and should have been in the SOC2 years ago if not for, we will say, bad reasons.

Change is coming for the SOC2 in football. You can stick with what you have and have a poor league or you can look to improve and make a great league for our part of the state.
I agree and I'm sold, especially with the addition of GA and Fairland. Valley and Minford can't compete annually. But

Burg
Ironton
Ptown
GA
Fairland
West
Waverly

That's one heck of a league and weekly games of the week. Strong D 4 and D5 teams.
Ironton ain't Joining any conference they are Independent in Football.

Go Ironton Fighting Tigers, GoTexas Longhorns
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

mattash wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:15 pm Short term solution to save oak hill from jumping ?

Soc 3
West
Burg
Waverly
Minford
Ironton

Soc 2
Valley
Northwest
Oak hill
Symmes valley
South Gallia

Soc 1
Green
East
Notre dame
Manchester
Eastern
WELL, let's go ahead and scratch Ironton off of this list they're an independent school and I can tell you right now there's ZERO possibility teams like Waverly, West and Minford would agree to this. I don't think Minford would go for anything like this either scratch Ironton off and Minford doesn't win a single conference schedule like ever. Symmes Valley is one of the smallest D7 schools why are they being placed with DV school?? See when you look at something like this you just realize how much of a mess it is to say let's go to 3 divisions with the current teams. Just not going to happen and has already been proven it's not going to happen with the vote down.

Footballfan96
Waterboy

Post by Footballfan96 »

You will never ever see Portsmouth in the SOC to much drama comes with them very underachieving team they are about the same as Valley except Portsmouth has way to much thug mentally that’s just from the fans the team has lack of discipline as long as Ironton continues to recruit and break the rules Ironton will stay independent

Return to “Football”