Irontons Shaun Terry Committed to Notre Dame

Tri_State79
Varsity

Re: Irontons Shaun Terry Committed to Notre Dame

Post by Tri_State79 »

RBH23 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:21 am
Tri_State79 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:21 am
RBH23 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:09 pm

I brought up Moss to point out the stupidity of your argument. May shock you, but most top D1 athletes don’t cross paths with other top D1 talent. Why? Because very few high school players are of that caliber!

As for size, Jerry Rice was a whopping 6’2” and played high school ball in some tiny town in Mississippi. Although a different sport, Jason Williams, a 6’1” guard, played against inferior talent in WV yet still made it to the NBA.

I know it’s hard for you to wrap your mind around, but sometimes players from small towns do well at the next level. No guarantees, but at least this young man has a shot.

Again, Moss was 6ft4 and ran a 4.2. Terry ain't nor will ever be that my guy. And Carrico coulda used a year against better talent at a prep school before he headed up to join the LB room in Columbus cause he lacked technique and that is where kids find their edge against equal or superior size and/or athleticism. The d5 seo kids that have d1 physical attributes run all over the majority of seo d5 kids cause the majority of seo d5 ohio kids are just kids who like to play a sport, instead of being athletes. A ND or Ohio State or Bama position room is all elite athletes and now a days many of those kids get personal trainers etc etc etc. I think you older seo guys are kinda outta touch with the sport in its modern form. And a skill position kid now isn't gonna be given 3 years to develop. It's plug and play or hit the portal or become the next Tate Martell.
I like how you simply dismissed Jerry Rice. He wasn’t particularly tall and ran a 4.7! Yet look at what he accomplished in the NFL despite not playing against top talent in his younger days.

Also, you think you are truly smarter than the recruiters from these top schools that offered Terry? You think ND isn’t aware of his strengths and weaknesses? That they don’t know how to evaluate talent and success at the college level?
I don't think I'm smarter than the Buckeye recruiters either and Holden and Carrico couldn't break the glass in Columbus. Why?

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

artisgilmore wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:11 am Let’s see,committed to ND,must not be any good,Right?
A commitment is basically a try out invitation.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:40 pm
RBH23 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:21 am
Tri_State79 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:21 am

Again, Moss was 6ft4 and ran a 4.2. Terry ain't nor will ever be that my guy. And Carrico coulda used a year against better talent at a prep school before he headed up to join the LB room in Columbus cause he lacked technique and that is where kids find their edge against equal or superior size and/or athleticism. The d5 seo kids that have d1 physical attributes run all over the majority of seo d5 kids cause the majority of seo d5 ohio kids are just kids who like to play a sport, instead of being athletes. A ND or Ohio State or Bama position room is all elite athletes and now a days many of those kids get personal trainers etc etc etc. I think you older seo guys are kinda outta touch with the sport in its modern form. And a skill position kid now isn't gonna be given 3 years to develop. It's plug and play or hit the portal or become the next Tate Martell.
I like how you simply dismissed Jerry Rice. He wasn’t particularly tall and ran a 4.7! Yet look at what he accomplished in the NFL despite not playing against top talent in his younger days.

Also, you think you are truly smarter than the recruiters from these top schools that offered Terry? You think ND isn’t aware of his strengths and weaknesses? That they don’t know how to evaluate talent and success at the college level?
Here let me address it. He was Jerry Rice. One in a milly not a look if he can do it so can you moment. Lighting In a bottle.
He became Jerry Rice the HOF receiver. Out of high school, he was Jerry Rice, the slow short receiver who never played against D1 talent and never received a D1 offer!

Per your requirements, Jerry Rice was doomed to fail since he never played against top talent and wasn’t incredibly athletic.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Tri_State79 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 am
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:18 pm Why is it so hard for some to say congrats to the kid and wish him the best?
I am betting on his worst day he is still better than all of you who are downing when it comes to football and probably at life too.
Probably or certainly? What metrics did you utilize to determine this probably? What is it based on?
Common sense.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:52 pm
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:18 pm Why is it so hard for some to say congrats to the kid and wish him the best?
I am betting on his worst day he is still better than all of you who are downing when it comes to football and probably at life too.
Probably or certainly? What metrics did you utilize to determine this probably? What is it based on?
Common sense.
Nah. You based on it emotions.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Tri_State79 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:25 pm
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:52 pm

Common sense.
Nah. You based on it emotions.
Wrong, but think as you may to make you feel better.

sportsfan2015
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2015 »

Man quit hating, people.

Whether he makes it or not he’s getting a chance to play at a blue blood historical program and at the very least will have the chance to get an education and earn a degree from a very well respected academic institute as well that will lead him to a lot of opportunities in life after football.

Good luck Shaun and congrats!

paulwheeler
Riding the Bench

Post by paulwheeler »

sportsfan2015 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:45 pm Man quit hating, people.

Whether he makes it or not he’s getting a chance to play at a blue blood historical program and at the very least will have the chance to get an education and earn a degree from a very well respected academic institute as well that will lead him to a lot of opportunities in life after football.

I agree with you 100 percent.

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

Remember - the whole point of a free ride is to get a FREE education. And he will receive one of the best educations in the country at Notre Dame. As a long time Fighting Irish fan, I wish him lots of luck!

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

No one knows what the future holds for this young man he has talent for sure.
Will he be a star no one knows I'm just happy he is getting a chance to play at the next level and get that Education.
That is what matters out of this opportunity

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

GoIrish wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:33 am Remember - the whole point of a free ride is to get a FREE education. And he will receive one of the best educations in the country at Notre Dame. As a long time Fighting Irish fan, I wish him lots of luck!
Absolutely!!!

Most school valedictorians can’t get into Notre Dame, and those that do struggle to pay for it. So this young man getting a free education to attend is an incredible opportunity.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

Critical analysis isn't hate.
Education isn't football.
This thread is about football.
Idgaf about anyone's feelings or sentimental blubbering over something coming from their area.
The questions are fair since they are football questions on a football thread.
Of course he gets a free education. Comes with the ride. Good for him. Sincerely. But it doesn't answer any of the football questions.
Lastly, this isn't the hallmark corporation so forward ya love letters to the kids inbox if ya must. Lol

gobucs20
Freshman Team

Post by gobucs20 »

Go to South Bend and give it you're best shot. If it doesn't work out then hit the portal.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:27 am

Idgaf about anyone's feelings or sentimental blubbering over something coming from their area.
Of course he gets a free education. Comes with the ride. Good for him. Sincerely. But it doesn't answer any of the football questions.
Lastly, this isn't the hallmark corporation so forward ya love letters to the kids inbox if ya must. Lol
You lecturing others about the focus of this board and thread is comical! LMAO!!!

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:51 pm
Tri_State79 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:27 am

You lecturing others about the focus of this board and thread is comical! LMAO!!!
A.lot suffer from seo smooth brain syndrome. Once every so often ya gotta help em redirect. 💯 🤣

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

Critical analysis isn't hate. A big reason why seo is a dump is you goofs are incapable of self reflection and growth. Anything that doesn't sound like praise is "hate."
Soft shelled demographic unfortunately.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Tim Brown wasn't huge when he went to ND but yet become a great player for ND and a pretty good pro Shawn is just a JR. and still growing who knows how good or great he may become.
I'm sure Tim Brown was rated high and hated on to it happens sadly it happens took awhile for Brown to become who he was and it may take Terry to but at least he is making it to the next level.
Hate him or love him I'm just glad he is getting the chance to go to the next level.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

fielddaddy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:20 am Tim Brown wasn't huge when he went to ND but yet become a great player for ND and a pretty good pro Shawn is just a JR. and still growing who knows how good or great he may become.
I'm sure Tim Brown was rated high and hated on to it happens sadly it happens took awhile for Brown to become who he was and it may take Terry to but at least he is making it to the next level.
Hate him or love him I'm just glad he is getting the chance to go to the next level.
College football landscape isn't the same. Skill position kids have a small window and a short time to earn a role. No elite program has to wait 3 yrs for a wr to develop when the portal exists. It's basically right now Or nothing. 1980s analogies don't really translate anymore. Ya gotta update ya data and software and measure things along more current standards and expectations. It may seem like things are still the same as the 80s in seo, but outside the bubble it isn't. It's good to keep that in mind.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:53 pm
fielddaddy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:20 am Tim Brown wasn't huge when he went to ND but yet become a great player for ND and a pretty good pro Shawn is just a JR. and still growing who knows how good or great he may become.
College football landscape isn't the same. Skill position kids have a small window and a short time to earn a role. No elite program has to wait 3 yrs for a wr to develop when the portal exists. It's basically right now Or nothing. 1980s analogies don't really translate anymore. Ya gotta update ya data and software and measure things along more current standards and expectations. It may seem like things are still the same as the 80s in seo, but outside the bubble it isn't. It's good to keep that in mind.
The odds of any high school football player getting a D1 scholarship is about 1%. And those that do play D1 football, their odds of going pro is around 2%.

That said, these kids are wise to use football to get an education. Consider the NFL a cherry on top and not the goal.

He got a scholarship to ND. He’s already won even if he never plays a down. Just get that degree.

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

RBH23 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:41 pm
Tri_State79 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:53 pm
The odds of any high school football player getting a D1 scholarship is about 1%. And those that do play D1 football, their odds of going pro is around 2%.

That said, these kids are wise to use football to get an education. Consider the NFL a cherry on top and not the goal.

He got a scholarship to ND. He’s already won even if he never plays a down. Just get that degree.
Goes without saying but since this board is about football lets talk football - realistically. Maybe 1 year in south bend and a portal to say Marshall. Sounds pretty practical and likely to me not just for Terry but most seo kids trying out D1.

Return to “Football”