Post by Dundas »

Athens
Logan
Point Pleasant
Marietta
Warren
Fort Frye

Almost the old seoal.

Fort is in a good spot now but would they want this long term if things fall off?

beg003
All Conference

Re: Marietta Tigers 2024

Post by beg003 »

Dundas wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:09 pm Athens
Logan
Point Pleasant
Marietta
Warren
Fort Frye

Almost the old seoal.

Fort is in a good spot now but would they want this long term if things fall off?
I’m not a Fort Frye person, so I don’t want to speak for them, but from an outside POV, they typically punch above their weight is most every sport. Boys basketball has hit a bit of a talent dip, but they are historically a very good program. Girls basketball is good every year, and baseball is always solid. Their athletic program is well-rounded.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

beg003 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:33 pm
Logan
Point Pleasant
Marietta
Warren
Fort Frye

Almost the old seoal.

I’m not a Fort Frye person, so I don’t want to speak for them, but from an outside POV, they typically punch above their weight is most every sport. Boys basketball has hit a bit of a talent dip, but they are historically a very good program. Girls basketball is good every year, and baseball is always solid. Their athletic program is well-rounded.
You are correct on that. The last few years have been incredible for the Cadets. The difference in enrollment hasn’t been much of a factor based on their results.

If the TSL snagged Logan, I think Athens could make a move. I just don’t see them making the jump alone. The TVC Ohio is about to have 7 conference games weeks 4-10 and the trips for Athens are all pretty short. Would make for a solid TSL top to bottom though if they both join.

Marietta is on the up, Warren has shown signs recently that the years of 1-2 wins are over. Fort is Fort and Point is a pretty big school who should be competitive year in and year out. It wasn’t that long ago when Point was dominating.

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

I thought I saw a few months ago that that exploring a new stadium for Marietta has been cancelled which is a shame. Are they the only high school in Ohio that shares a stadium with a college ? Does anyone know how much annually they are paying the college to play there ?
Last edited by Wildcatone on Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Wildcatone wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:10 pm I thought I saw a few months ago that that exploring a new stadium for Marietta has been cancelled which is a shame. Are they the only high school in Ohio that shares a stadium with a college ?
Weren’t they looking at an empty plot of land next to or near the school?

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

Dundas wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:11 pm
Wildcatone wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:10 pm I thought I saw a few months ago that that exploring a new stadium for Marietta has been cancelled which is a shame. Are they the only high school in Ohio that shares a stadium with a college ?
They were at one point but then I thought I saw an article that it was put on hold/cancelled.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

Dundas wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:18 pm
beg003 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:33 pm
Logan
Point Pleasant
Marietta
Warren
Fort Frye

Almost the old seoal.

You are correct on that. The last few years have been incredible for the Cadets. The difference in enrollment hasn’t been much of a factor based on their results.

If the TSL snagged Logan, I think Athens could make a move. I just don’t see them making the jump alone. The TVC Ohio is about to have 7 conference games weeks 4-10 and the trips for Athens are all pretty short. Would make for a solid TSL top to bottom though if they both join.

Marietta is on the up, Warren has shown signs recently that the years of 1-2 wins are over. Fort is Fort and Point is a pretty big school who should be competitive year in and year out. It wasn’t that long ago when Point was dominating.
As was mentioned earlier in the thread, all 4 TSL teams will likely be above average this year. Point and Marietta probably are hit hardest by graduation, Warren and FF less so. It’s going to be another year with a good bit of parity in that league. I honestly don’t have a good pick on who the favorite is to win it.

Notsofastmyfriend
Freshman Team

Post by Notsofastmyfriend »

Logan
Point Pleasant
Marietta
Warren
Fort Frye

Almost the old seoal.

Can’t have a TSL with 5 Ohio schools and 1 WV school. If so? Need to change the name. I see John Marshall is playing a lot of TSL schools this year. They could be an option.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Notsofastmyfriend wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:16 pm
Logan
Point Pleasant
Marietta
Warren
Fort Frye

Almost the old seoal.

Can’t have a TSL with 5 Ohio schools and 1 WV school. If so? Need to change the name. I see John Marshall is playing a lot of TSL schools this year. They could be an option.
Yea you have a point there. Williamstown was rumored and is perfect in location but smaller in size. I did notice JM on a lot of schedules this year but it’s a long drive I believe.

If the TSL looked to split, you could add Wahama WV, Williamstown and steal some hocking schools to make a small division that would also boost the WV enrollment to 3.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

Dundas wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:31 pm
Logan
Point Pleasant
Marietta
Warren
Fort Frye

Almost the old seoal.

Yea you have a point there. Williamstown was rumored and is perfect in location but smaller in size. I did notice JM on a lot of schedules this year but it’s a long drive I believe.

If the TSL looked to split, you could add Wahama WV, Williamstown and steal some hocking schools to make a small division that would also boost the WV enrollment to 3.
JM is just south of Wheeling, WV. Williamstown and Ripley are the two other most feasible WV schools, at least to me.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

beg003 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:33 pm

JM is just south of Wheeling, WV. Williamstown and Ripley are the two other most feasible WV schools, at least to me.
JM could work for football only but if I’m not mistaken, those WV conferences are pretty spread out so maybe they wouldn’t mind the travel.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

Dundas wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:36 pm

JM could work for football only but if I’m not mistaken, those WV conferences are pretty spread out so maybe they wouldn’t mind the travel.
You have a point. Parkersburg South is in a league with Princeton, which is far southern West Virginia, so you might be right.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Williamstown is a lot like Fort Frye. A smaller school, but their athletic programs are better than most of the larger schools around. They beat Marietta and Warren most years. There wouldn't be a need for a small school division if they were to join.

John Marshall joining for football only is an interesting idea. The TSL has shown they are open to the idea of schools joining for certain sports only. Athens and Alexander are joining the TSL for soccer only. John Marshall (Moundsville) to Washington County is a pretty long trip. It's over an hour longer to Point Pleasant. Can't see them wanting to join for all sports, but as stated they are already playing Point, Warren, and Marietta in football. Might as well play Fort Frye too.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

pioneer19 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:00 pm
Williamstown is a lot like Fort Frye. A smaller school, but their athletic programs are better than most of the larger schools around. They beat Marietta and Warren most years. There wouldn't be a need for a small school division if they were to join.

John Marshall joining for football only is an interesting idea. The TSL has shown they are open to the idea of schools joining for certain sports only. Athens and Alexander are joining the TSL for soccer only. John Marshall (Moundsville) to Washington County is a pretty long trip. It's over an hour longer to Point Pleasant. Can't see them wanting to join for all sports, but as stated they are already playing Point, Warren, and Marietta in football. Might as well play Fort Frye too.

Athens biggest deal is travel. Maybe they would also be interested in Football/Soccer membership. The TVC doesn’t have enough soccer programs to have it as a sport though. So that’s why Alex and Athens joined. I believe they were both in the seoal for soccer when it folded. Maybe they look at football too?

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Dundas wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:11 pm
What empty plot of land near the school? That doesn't exist haha

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Interested to see how Marietta expands and enhances the offense in year 3 of the Wing-T. Would like to see the passing game grow, especially with an experienced QB.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

What skill players outside the qb does Marietta return? Seems like that’s where the heaviest graduation losses are.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Logan
Point Pleasant
Marietta
Warren
Fort Frye

Almost the old seoal.

I'd love to see this. But won't hold my breath, lol

Although the new OHSAA division set up is going to make things more interesting.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Interestingly enough, no.

Frost-Kalnow Stadium in Tiffin is home to D2 Tiffin University, Tiffin Columbian HS and Calvert Catholic.

Return to “Football”