Warren Football 2024

beg003
All Conference

Re: Warren Football 2024

Post by beg003 »

Dundas wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 am
pioneer19 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:42 pm
beg003 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:20 pm 8/23 Circleville (H)
8/30 Morgan (H)
9/6 Logan (A)
9/13 Cambridge (A)
9/20 Paintsville, KY (H)
9/27 Athens (A)
10/4 John Marshall, WV (A)
10/11 Point Pleasant, WV (A)
10/18 Fort Frye (H)
10/25 Marietta (H)
Wow that schedule looks very favorable for Warren. A lot can change by August, but the toughest non-league game will likely be @ Logan, they will need that game badly before beginning OCC play. Athens will be improved, but they are still Athens. Unless Circleville, Paintsville, or JM are much improved from a year ago, I honestly think Warren could have 6 wins going into TSL play and wouldn't be too surprised to see them start (7-0). The TSL will be a battle all 3 weeks, but week 9 against Fort could be for the league title. Will be rooting for the Warriors weeks 1-9.

Warren was 4-6 last year and those 4 wins were against teams that combined for an 8-32 record. 5 of those wins were from Point. They were the only win for John Marshall and lost to a 3 win Logan team. Are they really going to make that big of a jump this year? Im sure they will be better but will they be 5 wins better?
If they fix the mental mistakes and red zone TOs that killed them, then it’s very realistic. We bring literally everyone back. Again. We lost 3-4 games last year that could or should have been Ws. JM, Logan, FF, and Marietta were all games that could’ve gone either way. To me, it’s a disappointment if we win less than 7 games.
Last edited by beg003 on Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

beg003 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:20 pm 8/23 Circleville (H)
8/30 Morgan (H)
9/6 Logan (A)
9/13 Cambridge (A)
9/20 Paintsville, KY (H)
9/27 Athens (A)
10/4 John Marshall, WV (A)
10/11 Point Pleasant, WV (A)
10/18 Fort Frye (H)
10/25 Marietta (H)
Wow that schedule looks very favorable for Warren. A lot can change by August, but the toughest non-league game will likely be @ Logan, they will need that game badly before beginning OCC play. Athens will be improved, but they are still Athens. Unless Circleville, Paintsville, or JM are much improved from a year ago, I honestly think Warren could have 6 wins going into TSL play and wouldn't be too surprised to see them start (7-0). The TSL will be a battle all 3 weeks, but week 9 against Fort could be for the league title. Will be rooting for the Warriors weeks 1-9.

Warren was 4-6 last year and those 4 wins were against teams that combined for an 8-32 record. 5 of those wins were from Point. They were the only win for John Marshall and lost to a 3 win Logan team. Are they really going to make that big of a jump this year? Im sure they will be better but will they be 5 wins better?
Based on what Warren returns and the way their schedule is set up, I believe it's possible. Warren was 4-6, but their only uncompetitive loss was to Fairfield Union. They lost a lot of close games. Just breaking down their schedule, who do you see being favored over them? I'd say Logan, Fort Frye, and possibly the team from Kentucky that I know nothing about. Even then, I don't think those games will be unwinnable. Morgan and JM both beat Warren last season, but it will be a rebuilding season for the Raiders and it sounds like JM is going to struggle again, although they could be a wild card since it is a larger school. Point and Etta won't be pushovers imo, but the Warriors will likely be favored to win both of those games.

It's still very early, so it's hard to make solid predictions, but I do think the potential is there for them to have a great season.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

beg003 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:56 am
boss8 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:27 am Love these threads, good discussion getting ready for the season and figuring out the lay of the land. This is what the site is supposed to be about...not trolling and 10,000 interview posts with players from places I've never heard of.
We’ve had our disagreements on here in the past, but I respect your opinions. You and pioneer are both assets to Marietta on this site. I enjoy reading both of your guys’ posts.
Appreciate it beg. I always enjoy our discussions on here. For all the trolling that takes place on this site, it is nice we still have a handful of quality posters in our corner of SE Ohio. :)

Feedme#2WarrenFB
Freshman Team

Post by Feedme#2WarrenFB »

beg003 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:58 am
Notsofastmyfriend wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:32 am
beg003 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 am
Imagine if he listened to you where we’d be: If I recall correctly, you made the prediction “Sealey will be moved to running back and Carr will be the third string.” Playing a first team all league and district QB at running back doesn’t seem too smart now, does it? Where does Strahler fit into this depth chart of yours? 4 running backs is an awfully deep rotation. You must have a plan to get them all playing time right?
Fort Frye has done it for years. And from watching Warren last year they are obviously a running offense. Sealey is labeled a QB but by nature he’s a RB. Anyone can throw quick screens and jet sweep passes for “passing yards” if that’s what gets you labeled as a QB. Didn’t really see Warren have a “passing game” but maybe that will change. If you really think about it, having 4 RBs at a D4 school would be a luxury. Even you bragged about how many yards Sealey had “rushing” against Fort Frye last year. Pretty sure he finished second on the team in “rushing”.
And he threw for 1500+. Not many running backs I know would be throwing for 1500. Also, I believe he was going to be getting moved due to something you called daddy ball. Care to elaborate? You seem to think “it’s coming, just wait!” You also obviously wanted Carr to transfer when you said “he’d look great in red and blue!” So really your 4 RB argument isn’t what you truly think should happen. And you said all of this stuff, so don’t deny it now.
FACTS !!!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

I was super impressed with Warren last year.

Think they're going to be tough next fall. VERY physical. Run down hill at you and make you match their physicality.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

beg003 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:01 am

If they fix the mental mistakes and red zone TOs that killed them, then it’s very realistic. We bring literally everyone back. Again. We lost 3-4 games last year that could or should have been Ws. JM, Logan, FF, and Marietta were all games that could’ve gone either way. To me, it’s a disappointment if we win less than 7 games.
To add some detail to how much the season hinged on 1-2 plays & primarily the redzone TOs:

Lost to Morgan 33-22 with 2 redzone TOs; these were early and Warren was controlling the game and after the second one the momentum completely changed.

Lost to Logan 20-14 with an endzone pick 6 and two redzone turnovers-on-downs. Obviously the pick 6 was the difference but scoring on either of the other possessions could’ve been a win.

Lost to FF 16-7 with the 6-inch line stop, but the real killer was the incredible downing of the punt at the 6-inch line late. Safety on the next play gave FF the lead 9-7 and then they put it away after receiving the kick. With the ball on the 20 instead (had the punt gone into the endzone), it’s not outside the realm of possibility that the Warriors could’ve put together a game-winning drive with little time for FF to get it back (or a potential OT game).

Lost to John Marshall 31-20 with 3 redzone turnovers, including one where they could’ve gone up two scores themselves late in the game and almost put it away.

Lost to Marietta 28-24 with the crucial 6-inch line questionable fumble.

The turnovers were a fatal flaw and that has to get better, but literally one play per game was arguably the difference between 4-6 and 8-2/9-1. There are no automatic wins for a program with the history of Warren, but there is definitely reason to be excited about the potential for this season. A little better execution in key moments could be the difference in narratives.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

loganlocos wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:48 pm I was super impressed with Warren last year.

Think they're going to be tough next fall. VERY physical. Run down hill at you and make you match their physicality.
I believe the philosophy is “we’re going to put other teams in a phone booth for 4 quarters and see who’s tougher.”

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Would've been nice to see that Paintsville game on a Saturday.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Warren is definitely very solid at the skill positions. Sealy is a fine HS QB, especially for what they do, and is tough and athletic. I think another year as the starter will eliminate some of the mistakes and turnovers. The stable of RB's seems full (with lots of debate, apparently, about who should receive the bulk of the carries). And the WR Pepper is a really, really good player - any game plan that doesn't include him getting the ball 10-15 times a game is a bad one.

As has been stated above, the OL is the question. They do have experience and size, but think they need to make a pretty big jump from where they have been the past few years if they are going to maximize the talented playmakers they have. Just my two cents.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

beg003 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:55 pm
loganlocos wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:48 pm I was super impressed with Warren last year.

I believe the philosophy is “we’re going to put other teams in a phone booth for 4 quarters and see who’s tougher.”
To me that's who Warren was when they joined the SEOAL in mid-80s and were super competitive. Even in the mid-90s with Shawn Taylor - that wasn't a finesse team. They got after you and with Taylor they could punish you if you tried to overload and sellout defensively.

That's exactly the team I saw last fall and expect to see again in 2024.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

boss8 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:38 am Warren is definitely very solid at the skill positions. Sealy is a fine HS QB, especially for what they do, and is tough and athletic. I think another year as the starter will eliminate some of the mistakes and turnovers. The stable of RB's seems full (with lots of debate, apparently, about who should receive the bulk of the carries). And the WR Pepper is a really, really good player - any game plan that doesn't include him getting the ball 10-15 times a game is a bad one.

As has been stated above, the OL is the question. They do have experience and size, but think they need to make a pretty big jump from where they have been the past few years if they are going to maximize the talented playmakers they have. Just my two cents.
You hit the nail on the head.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:07 am

To me that's who Warren was when they joined the SEOAL in mid-80s and were super competitive. Even in the mid-90s with Shawn Taylor - that wasn't a finesse team. They got after you and with Taylor they could punish you if you tried to overload and sellout defensively.

You’re spot on, the Red Hill teams in the 80s were very, very physical. We don’t have the athletes to finesse other teams - not many teams in this part of the state do. Physicality can be an equalizer. On another note, How is Logan going to be this fall?

Feedme#2WarrenFB
Freshman Team

boss8 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:38 am Warren is definitely very solid at the skill positions. Sealy is a fine HS QB, especially for what they do, and is tough and athletic. I think another year as the starter will eliminate some of the mistakes and turnovers. The stable of RB's seems full (with lots of debate, apparently, about who should receive the bulk of the carries). And the WR Pepper is a really, really good player - any game plan that doesn't include him getting the ball 10-15 times a game is a bad one.

Only guy I know worried about the RBs is notsofast ..💯😂

Feedme#2WarrenFB
Freshman Team

beg003 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:28 am

You’re spot on, the Red Hill teams in the 80s were very, very physical. We don’t have the athletes to finesse other teams - not many teams in this part of the state do. Physicality can be an equalizer. On another note, How is Logan going to be this fall?
Coach Devol had some good teams also !

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

Feedme#2WarrenFB wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:11 am
beg003 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:28 am

Coach Devol had some good teams also !
No question. This team, though, I think will align more with the Coach Hill teams as far as play style. More run-heavy on offense with a physical defense. Coach Devol’s teams could score on anyone, but they gave up more defensively. Perfect combo would be Devol’s offense with Hill’s defense.

Notsofastmyfriend
Freshman Team

Post by Notsofastmyfriend »

Feedme#2WarrenFB wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:06 am

I’m not worried whatsoever about the RBs Warren has. I just think the coach is doing the right thing and using seniority for that position. I mean the kid scored like 6TDs in a game. #2 is still young, he’ll get his chances. You are the one who complains about him not getting carries. Wonder why? I don’t disagree with him getting more carries but he’s still young and has made a few mistakes with fumbles etc. All I’m saying is…. If #22 is healthy, he’ll be the workhorse and deservedly so. When #2 gets his number called, I’m sure he’ll get his yardage. At the end of the day, Warren needs to learn how to play disciplined defense for FOUR quarters. When they figure that out, they’ll win more games.

Feedme#2WarrenFB
Freshman Team

Notsofastmyfriend wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:28 pm

I’m not worried whatsoever about the RBs Warren has. I just think the coach is doing the right thing and using seniority for that position. I mean the kid scored like 6TDs in a game. #2 is still young, he’ll get his chances. You are the one who complains about him not getting carries. Wonder why? I don’t disagree with him getting more carries but he’s still young and has made a few mistakes with fumbles etc. All I’m saying is…. If #22 is healthy, he’ll be the workhorse and deservedly so. When #2 gets his number called, I’m sure he’ll get his yardage. At the end of the day, Warren needs to learn how to play disciplined defense for FOUR quarters. When they figure that out, they’ll win more games.
Only thing seniority is good for is discounts at Bob Evens ..

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

You do make a point about the seniority, Fairbanks has certainly earned the opportunities he gets. He should get the first crack at being RB1, just like Carr will get that opportunity in 2025. That’s not a cut on Carr, or anyone else. It’s a good problem to have two running backs capable of being the guy. They’re both going to get plenty of carries if I had to guess. They each have different skill sets - Fairbanks is a between the tackles, grind it out player. Carr is more of an outside zone, home run hitter. Their roles could easily change week to week depending on who the opponent is. If it’s a team that’s weak on the edge, Carr is your guy. If a team can’t stop the run in the A and B gap, Fairbanks is it.

Notsofastmyfriend
Freshman Team

Post by Notsofastmyfriend »

Feedme#2WarrenFB wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:42 pm

Guess you’ll just have to wait and see dad. 🤷‍♂️

Feedme#2WarrenFB
Freshman Team

Notsofastmyfriend wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:16 pm
Feedme#2WarrenFB wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:42 pm

Guess you’ll just have to wait and see dad. 🤷‍♂️
Yep I’m his dad and to be 💯💯honest if the boy wasn’t capable of helping get Ws I wouldn’t have said a word about it ! We well see this year Carrs about 200 lbs and gotten faster and stronger and where I come from seniority means nothing it was always the best player played no matter how old ! He fumbled once last season and thats ur point against him lol watched Fairbanks fumble 3 times in same game 🤦 but we overlooked that …

Return to “Football”