Redskins' Taylor shot and critically wounded at home

mohawkbaseball#1
All Conference

Redskins' Taylor shot and critically wounded at home

Post by mohawkbaseball#1 »

PALMETTO BAY, Fla. -- Washington Redskins star safety Sean Taylor was shot at his home Monday and was in critical condition, and police are investigating a possible robbery.

Officers were sent to Taylor's home at about 1:45 a.m. after his girlfriend called 911 and said he was shot in his lower body, Lt. Nancy Perez said. He was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital, she said, but did not disclose how many times he was shot.

Richard Sharpstein, an attorney who represented Taylor in a criminal case, said the player's father told him his son had been shot in the leg and there was much bleeding because the femoral artery was severed.

The Miami Herald reported paramedics found Taylor with a gunshot wound to the groin. A family friend who did not want to be identified told ABC-TV 10 in Miami that Taylor was shot twice.

Investigators were still interviewing the girlfriend and other relatives who were in the home to try to determine what happened, Perez said.

"It could have been a possible burglary, it could have been a possible robbery," Perez said. "It has not been confirmed as yet."

Taylor's father asked that no information about his condition be released, hospital spokeswoman Lorraine Nelson said.

Taylor has a home in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay that he bought two years ago. The 24-year-old player is in his fourth season with the Redskins after playing at the University of Miami, where he was an All-American in 2003. He leads the team with five interceptions but has missed the last two games because of a knee injury.

In Ashburn, Va., Redskins safety Pierson Prioleau fought to keep his composure.

"This is not just a member of the Washington Redskins," said Prioleau, one of a few players made available to reporters. "But we're talking about a dad, a brother, a friend of ours, and that's where we're at with this right now."

Coach Joe Gibbs was joined by the team chaplain at the Redskins' usual Monday meeting. A small group of players held a separate prayer gathering.

The Redskins (5-6) lost 19-13 at Tampa on Sunday. Taylor did not travel with the team to the game because of his knee injury.

Known as one of the NFL's hardest hitters, Taylor played in his first Pro Bowl last season, where he drew attention by leveling the other team's punter in what is usually a well-mannered exhibition game. Even though he has missed two games, his five interceptions remained tied for most in the NFC.

Taylor has been in trouble numerous times since he was drafted as the No. 5 overall pick in 2004. He has been fined at least seven times during his professional career for late hits and other infractions, including a $17,000 penalty for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a playoff game in January 2006. He also was fined $25,000 for skipping a mandatory rookie symposium shortly after he was drafted.

Redskins coaches and players have defended Taylor, saying he was smart and misunderstood. Taylor has been slow to let anyone into his inner circle. He has rarely spoken to reporters, saying he does not trust them. Teammates said he became more mature over the last year after he became a father for the first time.

In 2005, Taylor was accused of brandishing a gun at a man and repeatedly hitting him during a fight that broke out after Taylor and some friends went looking for the people who had allegedly stolen his all-terrain vehicles.

Taylor reached a deal with prosecutors last year after they agreed to drop felony charges against him. He pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in the assault case and was sentenced to 18 months probation. The pleas prompted another fine from the NFL but kept his football career intact.

He also was ordered to talk about the importance of education at 10 Miami schools and had to contribute $1,000 for scholarships to each of those schools.

The man Taylor allegedly hit, Ryan Hill, sued, seeking at least $15,000 in damages. Hill sustained bruises to his body, incurred medical expenses and lost wages because of the fight, the lawsuit said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3127928

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Just some 1 targeting another great football player hope all turns out well for him..

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

oak hill71
All State

Post by oak hill71 »

He passed away early this morning.

Prayers go out fo this family.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

IN MEmory of Sean taylor

he was going to be Great such a young boy and its so so sad to see this happen he would have gone to the Pro Bowl this year and i bet it wouldnt have been the last

buckeye21
JV Team

Post by buckeye21 »

Terrible news! :(

My prayers go out to his family and friends. Hopefully they catch the low life who did it!

crazee-oakaholic
All Conference

Post by crazee-oakaholic »

Yes. A true tragedy. My prayers go out as well.

rockhillbasketball
All Conference

Post by rockhillbasketball »

Sad story. The NFL just loss one of its best players and maybe the best safety in the game. I hope that this opens everyones eyes of how great life is. Never leave u loved ones w/out telling them u love them and never take anything for granted, because everything could be gone in a second. Gonna miss seeing those hard hits and those great ints.

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

Sad story, but something is "not right" about this entire story. :?:

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

The guy who shot him had been to the house more than just that night

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

BigMcCauley55 wrote:The guy who shot him had been to the house more than just that night

How are you sure it was a guy?

I'm just saying.....think about it..... :shock:

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

becasue Sean's girl told the cops that

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I think the girlfriend is behind this.

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

BigMcCauley55 wrote:becasue Sean's girl told the cops that

:lol: vvvvvvvvv

newarkcatholicfan wrote:I think the girlfriend is behind this.

Now, we're getting warmer.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Pocket Aces wrote:
BigMcCauley55 wrote:becasue Sean's girl told the cops that

:lol: vvvvvvvvv

newarkcatholicfan wrote:I think the girlfriend is behind this.

Now, we're getting warmer.
Time will tell the ugly truth which I think will come out soon with money playing a huge part.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

Taylor's family and friends are saying it wasnt a random act. they're saying its related to a past incident Taylor was invovled in. Taylor's friend and teammate at Miami, Antrelle Rolle just stated on ESPN that "they've been targeting him for 3 years." i'd like to know two things

1) who are "they?"

and 2) if they were "targeting" him, then why would they shoot him in the leg? he died of blood loss after the bullet hit a vital artery in his leg, had that artery not been hit it seems to be a very survivable injury so if they were out to kill him you'd think they'd pick a more deadly spot to shoot him.

buckeye21
JV Team

Post by buckeye21 »

Brutus, maybe the guy wasn't aiming for his leg? I mean they said he shot twice and missed once. Maybe there was a struggle between Taylor and this guy? Who knows? I do have the feeling though, as Pocket Aces stated, there is something not right about this story. They say it was "random" and a burglary but was anything stolen? And I'm not an expert but wouldn't a burglar try to be quiet in his attempt without being seen or heard? Why would a burglar try to barge into a bedroom with someone trying to lock the door on the other side? A burglar would leave the house ASAP if he heard the residents of the house getting up from bed.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

buckeye21 wrote:Brutus, maybe the guy wasn't aiming for his leg? I mean they said he shot twice and missed once. Maybe there was a struggle between Taylor and this guy? Who knows? I do have the feeling though, as Pocket Aces stated, there is something not right about this story. They say it was "random" and a burglary but was anything stolen? And I'm not an expert but wouldn't a burglar try to be quiet in his attempt without being seen or heard? Why would a burglar try to barge into a bedroom with someone trying to lock the door on the other side? A burglar would leave the house ASAP if he heard the residents of the house getting up from bed.

all very good points but i believe if he "hadn't been aiming for his leg" he would have had every chance to finish the job once his leg was hit. i understand Taylor was a professional football player which takes a ridiculous amount of toughness but if you're shot in the leg and an artery so vital was hit, i dont think you're gonna be moving too quickley if at all.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Man this sucks and im not a miami fan at all or redskins but it does seem miami players are always targets no 1 likes them. that being said i really liked taylor he was a heck of a player and always ALWAYS on my madden team. i wish his family and team the best and hope they find out who did this and why..

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

If what Rolle said was true and Taylor has been scared for over 3 years why live in Miami. His former Coach Coker said that Taylor did not participate in workouts at U of Miami like a lot of former players. Also if the treats were true he made enough money to have a top of the line security system put in that monitors the perimeter of the property with numerous cameras.
During the past year in Chicago more than one NBA player had their houses broke into.
Players will be investing in protection for their families. Hopefully they will be able to learn more about what happened.

Return to “Pro Sports”