Enough is Enough - Rich Hill, LA Dodgers

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Enough is Enough - Rich Hill, LA Dodgers

Post by danicalifornia »

Tonight in the Dodgers 5-0 win over the Marlins, Dave Roberts pulled Rich Hill after 7 perfect innings (89 pitches). This is seriously getting ridiculous. This is the second time this season that Roberts has pulled someone on the verge of history, but at least the other time was a rookie pitcher who had thrown over 115 pitches. Rich Hill is a 36 year old journeyman who likely will never pitch like that again.

He was pulled because of his issue with blisters this year, but why would you even let him go 89 pitches at that point? If you saw in the dugout, the entire team looked furious at the decision and even the Dodgers broadcasters sounded filled with disappointment.

If you looked on Twitter, the analytic baseball people were praising the move (same people who want to get rid of the win stat), so it will likely be praised by most of the media, but isn't one of the greatest things about baseball the history of the game? These people want to wipe out what made many people fall in love with the game and it's too much for me tonight.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Enough is Enough - Rich Hill, LA Dodgers

Post by Raider6309 »

I dislike those analytic people, they love Kershawn. I'm a Yankee fan, you have to preform in October to be good. I remember they wanting to give the MVP award to Trout over Cabrera in 2012. Cabrera won the triple crown but Trout had a high WAR(whatever that is)lol

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Enough is Enough - Rich Hill, LA Dodgers

Post by danicalifornia »

Well, the Dodgers have lost 3 out of 5 since that night, after winning 6 out of 7 before that. If the Giants weren't playing the worst baseball in the baseball (if that makes sense) the Dodgers would really have something to worry about. They just seem somewhat deflated since then.

I'm okay with the WAR stat to an extent, because it does factor in the whole player, so a DH will have a lower WAR than an everyday position player...however, I do think that it's overblown to an extent and shouldn't be the only way to read a player's value. For instance, Jay Bruce had an awful WAR with the Reds this year, because his defensive WAR was so low...which was low because Billy Hamilton got to so many balls that Bruce didn't have to, which stunted his value.

My favorite analytic stat is Win Probability Added. It computes the change in the probability that your team will win during the course of a game, positively and negatively. For example, yesterday, Hanley Ramirez's WPA was .642, which is insane for someone with one hit, however, that hit was a 2 out, 3 run walk off home run to finish off their comeback, so obviously it would be worth more. The stat factors in times a player comes through in the clutch, which I think is always fun to see.

Return to “Pro Sports”