2017 Cincinnati Reds

natureboy
Waterboy

Re: 2017 Cincinnati Reds

Post by natureboy »

The Reds need to leverage one of their outfielders (Schebler/Duvall/Ervin/Winker) for a solid innings eating veteran starter. I think they can be contenders next year with quality starting pitching. I am excited for 2018!

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

may just become and indian fan so i know what winning is like

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

The Redlegs can score runs, that is not something that is even in question here. They have 6 players with at least 24 home runs: Votto (36), Duvall (31), Schebler (30), Gennett (27), Suarez (26), Cozart (24). And 3 players with at least 95 RBI. Hamilton leads the majors in stolen bases. Votto is back to MVP form in all categories. And, they have Peraza, who was supposed to be the every day 2B, until Gennett started smashing the cover off the ball and they had no choice but to play him. Peraza and Winker are two tough dudes to handle off the bench. Barnhart has been pretty solid this year, especially on defense, remember, when Mesoraco is healthy, he's a top 3 catcher in baseball.

Defensively, the Reds are one of the better teams in the majors. Several players will be in contention for Gold Gloves. Cozart, Barnhart, Hamilton and Duvall.

But, pitching is their weak spot, and not pitching overall, but their starting pitching. The bullpen has been much improved this year. Iglesias looks like our closer of the future. Lorenzen's ERA is a little inflated, but he's a solid arm in the middle of the bullpen. Wandy Peralta was a pleasant surprise this year as well, a solid lefty in the bullpen, and he is just a rookie. Drew Storen was pretty solid as well, but who knows what will happen with him, we won't keep him long. These young starters, Castillo, Stephens, Mahle, Romano, etc have the potential to be one of the best starting rotations in the majors (but that's another 5 years away). Scott Feldman was a nice addition this year, a veteran who can eat some innings, but, if you want to be a contender, Feldman CANNOT be your #1 starter. He's more of a 3 or 4 guy.

The "fire Price" horse has been beat to death, and as everyone can tell, that's not gonna happen as they picked up his option for next year. After next year, I think we'll see a change at manager, as the Reds should be a regular contender.

Next year, I believe, should be a much better year for the Reds, maybe even contend for a wild card spot!

bighead
All State

Post by bighead »

Another long winter ! Ahead ! Price not a fan! Milk man pitched very well last night. Votto is a MVP ball player ! Please sign Scooter ? Pitching ? You have the bats ! Starting pitching is key.Go Reds !

bighead
All State

Post by bighead »

Put Hamilton on the blocks all of them stolen bases ! And your still in last place ?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

So is he on the trading block?

It's amazing how a guy with his awesome speed doesn't really scare teams. He doesn't walk and is a below average bunter, so he doesn't get on much at all. His defense is outstanding though, but his overall value isn't anywhere near what most people expected.

He did score 85 runs this year though, so maybe if he could get on more, he could easily score over 100 every year.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

If Hamilton could get on more, he would be a perennial all-star. One of the top 3 defensive center fielders in baseball. In just 139 games, he scored 85 runs, stole 59 bases and had 11 triples. But, this has been the same problem for Hamilton every year since he came up, everyone always says, "if he could get on base more..." And I agree with that, if he could get on base more, he would be one of the best players in the game. And I'm not sure what the problem is with his bunting, does he not try to get better at it? Or, can he literally just not do it? We did see some stretches this year from him where he walked a decent amount, and it seemed to be working for him, and then he would just go swing crazy again. Here's my other issue with him, QUIT TRYING TO HIT HOME RUNS!!!! He's not a home run hitter and never will be, never!

With all that being said, if they dumped him, they would be losing an important part of their team. I truly believe that they are better with him than without him.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Btw, no, he's not on the trading block, at least that I've seen.

bighead
All State

Post by bighead »

Jmo ! Jay Bruce on fire for Clev. And Frazier come alive tonight for NY ! But Clev. And NY has coaching !

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Frazier is also a .220 hitter since being traded. Are you a fan of Scott Schebler? Because his 25+ homers and plus defense came over in the Frazier deal.

(Yes, I know Frazier's OPS is nearly the same)

bighead
All State

Post by bighead »

Just said Frazier has came alive ! He was batting .200 most of the season !

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Literally never watched an inning of baseball all year. Not just Reds but all of baseball. And I'm MLBs major demographic. Might watch a few innings if Indians make the series but that's about it BASEBALL IS BORING!

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

dazed&confused wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:38 pm Literally never watched an inning of baseball all year. Not just Reds but all of baseball. And I'm MLBs major demographic. Might watch a few innings if Indians make the series but that's about it BASEBALL IS BORING!
Neat!

bighead
All State

Post by bighead »

Reds all they talk about is old news ! The same as 3 years ago ! All the same repeat ! Just like last place all the same ! Getting old !

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

According to baseball experts, the Reds did not make a qualifying offer to Cozart, which means he becomes a free agent.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

On a good note, Votto was named a finalist for the NL MVP, along with Giancarlo Stanton and Paul Goldschmidt.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Barnhart wins the golden glove / and no one says a word ? No super star but gets the job done ! Right .

Fred Flintstone
Riding the Bench

Post by Fred Flintstone »

Congrats to Tucker Barnhart on his Gold Glove! Only one error in 2017 and he is the best blocker in the game. Plus, he threw out something like 55% of potential stolen bases.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Congrats to Tucker Barnhart!! He's the best defensive catcher in baseball right now and nobody even says anything about him. We all knew this would come with playing time for him as he won numerous gold gloves in the minors. The funny thing is, he won the gold glove and he's not even supposed to be the every day catcher. What do they do when/if Mesoraco finally becomes healthy.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Votto loses out on MVP by 2 points to Stanton, the closest vote since 1979.

Return to “Pro Sports”