Who Will The Brown Take In The Draft? And will it matter?

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Re: Who Will The Brown Take In The Draft? And will it matter?

Post by dazed&confused »

I still don't think we have the right coach. New GM needs to have his own choice. But Haslam is still determined to scuttle the chances for the Browns to succeed.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Agree Jackson needs to go! Some coordinators are just not head coaching material no matter how good they are as coordinators. The Browns have seen a ton of them since they been back! I sure wish Chud would have been given the same chance as Hugh :( . Dazed got a feeling the new GM kind of likes keeping Jackson around. That way he can build the team and get the players he wants and if they suck again next year it won't be on him and he can hire the coach he wants.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Jackson got the credit for the Bengals offense. Gruden had it going before he got there. He hasn't done much for the Browns and can't forget what he did for the Raiders giving up a lot for Carson Palmer. Maybe he can do better with a GM with a plan instead of collecting picks for later. As well as getting rid of starters in training camp.
I didn't get to watch much of the Browns games since they were not on tv. Kiser did make it on the field for a quarter and half. Goes to the locker room with migraine. The back up QB comes in gets 10 points should have been 17 except for a dropped pass. Browns are in the game. Half way in the 3rd quarter Kiser comes back out and Jackson puts him in for the rest of the game. Never to score again and looked bad. Now I can't say that Haslam didn't say put him in or how much say Haslam had during the season. Kind of seemed Jackson lost control of some of the players last season.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

As for Hue, I think hiring Todd Haley is screaming at Hue that you're on the clock.

As for draft and QBs, I can't talk myself out of Josh Allen at 4. Take Barkley at 1 or trade it and go for Allen at 4. PLEASE, DO NOT TAKE MAYFIELD!

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Browns announce Taylor as Starting QB no QB competition.
Bringing Hailey in brings in accountability for your actions. He is tough on his players old school. Which rubs some players wrong. Doesn't matter who the player is treats them the same. Jackson wanted to be buddy buddy with some and hard on others. Taylor is a team player making him a good fit. Just with his weapons at WR Hailey will want him to try to throw it up to WR's and let them make a play at times.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

There is no doubt that Dorsett is now in charge in Cleveland. If not, McCarron would be there. He's putting his stamp on the franchise and Haley will be his HC if the Browns stumble out of gate again. I'm encouraged that Haslam has receeded into the background.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

I remember reading at the end of the season his wife was getting upset with the clown show. Her being upset may have helped her husband to get football guys with football smarts to run things and step back to let them do the job. Head coaches find out it is hard to call plays and coach the team. Maybe this will help Jackson who didn't want to coach at the end of the season.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

If Dee is calling the shots, I feel much better. Jimmy wanted to be Jerry Jones but he ended up being Jerry Lewis

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Maybe not calling all the shots but getting rid of people. Then getting football people in. Sure seems they have direction to play football this year instead of sometime down the road. Just hope they do not want to go in a different direction after a loss or two. Hope for the future this year.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

If they do keep #1 pick, they have to be sure it's a QB who will give them a chance to compete for several years. I don't think they need more picks from a trade-down. They have enough young players. They need some play makers

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Saw where the Bills have talked with the Browns for the #1 pick. If the Browns think there QB will be there at #3 that would not be a bad deal. Hard to put a lot into what is said now as a lot of BS is put out there. Browns need to keep their options open. Dealing with the Bills already helps.
Darnold didn't throw at the combine but will throw at his pro day even with rain predicted. I do not put much in that as they need to look at the tape. As well as a private workout.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Darnold and Allen both apparently dazzled at their respective pro days. I still like Allen if he stays on the bench the first year. But Hue will get all itchy if the Browns stumble badly out of the gate.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Darnold made a lot of turnovers last year. His offensive line had a lot of injuries with many young players not ready to play having to start. He had some stretches of bad play. The gamer in him would turn up the play at the end of the game to win. The gamble on how that translates to the NFL. Darnold's body is better for the NFL game than Allen. Gives Allen some work to do to better bulk up. More like Osweiller right now with a better arm. Had a great Pro Day but has already had shoulder injuries before. Allen has not played the quality of competition as Darnold. I like Allen more but would not be surprised if all of this is all talk to throw others off and the take Mayfield. Mayfield scares some reminding people of Manzeil but without the alcohol problem.

Whoever the Browns pick at QB they are trying to get better line blocking in front of them. I like whoever is picked to watch learn the NFL game on the field and to deal with off the field as a professional. Not as I am here for the party with my new money.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I like Allen myself. He got the size of Roethlisberger and Wentz and like Wentz he played up north in cold weather. I don't worry about the caliber of competition he played because Wentz and Bergerman proved they could do it against lesser opponents, but it is always a crapshoot with college players. USC QBs have never done well in the NFL for whatever reason but there is always a first I guess.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

I just read where Allen grew up on a farm. Which does provide different learning and working experiences from city life. Including like with Wentz hunting skills. Which helps in completing passes to receivers and anticipating what the defense will do. As well as life skills to deal with the change in lifestyle going to the NFL.
This is where the NFL teams needs to do their homework in what players do off the field. Browns have had some trouble with that. Hopefully they can offer draft choices some more help this year. Especially with the QB making a plan. Not the Manziel or even Kiser hanging out at bars late at night days before games. Tyrod Taylor can really help with that. Which really makes that a good trade for the Browns.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Strange Browns sign QB Drew Stanton to 2 year contract. With Kressler and Hogan there as backups. Which makes it crowded to draft a QB. Last year having so many QB's was hard to get the starter a lot of practice time. So they maybe moving some QB's. If Darnold is the choice keeping former USC player Kressler can help.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Stanton is an insurance policy against having to rush a rookie onto the field. Carry 3 QBs and another on the practice squad. Pick the best long term QB and let him sit.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Heck I'd consider another QB in the second round with all the draft picks we have. Take a flyer on Mike White or the kid from Richmond. Let them sit and learn, then let them fight it a year or two from now. Always can trade away the loser. In this scenario, I take whoever the Giants want at 1 in case they can be coerced into trading up with Browns. Or work out a three way allowing someone to trade up to 1 who is desperate for a QB, then Browns move down to 2 and get another 1st rounder or Odell Beckham

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

With 4 QB's on roster now drafting another the Browns will need to get rid of one or two if they draft in the later rounds. Hogan looked good at times. Many teams are looking for backup QB's. Teams asking Colts for Brisett but not sure of Luck. Eagles wanting to hold on to Foles. Some stories had the Pats looking at Manziel. Now if the Browns can just develop a QB. Jackson didn't seem to call plays to his QB's talents as much as to his playbook. Having a better line will help. Maybe even trading a backup.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Yea except what QB on the roster now would draw any interest, let alone something of value in return. Read where Dorsey said you cant have enough good QBs. That's why I think he'll take flyer on one in a later round. If that happens, Hogan will be gone. Kessler should already have his locker cleaned out. Remember when Hue said trust him on the Kessler pick. I have no faith in Hue whatsoever. Wouldn't be surprised to see Haley as the head coach mid-season.

Return to “Pro Sports”