Who Will The Brown Take In The Draft? And will it matter?

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Re: Who Will The Brown Take In The Draft? And will it matter?

Post by dazed&confused »

Darnold and Allen both apparently dazzled at their respective pro days. I still like Allen if he stays on the bench the first year. But Hue will get all itchy if the Browns stumble badly out of the gate.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Darnold made a lot of turnovers last year. His offensive line had a lot of injuries with many young players not ready to play having to start. He had some stretches of bad play. The gamer in him would turn up the play at the end of the game to win. The gamble on how that translates to the NFL. Darnold's body is better for the NFL game than Allen. Gives Allen some work to do to better bulk up. More like Osweiller right now with a better arm. Had a great Pro Day but has already had shoulder injuries before. Allen has not played the quality of competition as Darnold. I like Allen more but would not be surprised if all of this is all talk to throw others off and the take Mayfield. Mayfield scares some reminding people of Manzeil but without the alcohol problem.

Whoever the Browns pick at QB they are trying to get better line blocking in front of them. I like whoever is picked to watch learn the NFL game on the field and to deal with off the field as a professional. Not as I am here for the party with my new money.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I like Allen myself. He got the size of Roethlisberger and Wentz and like Wentz he played up north in cold weather. I don't worry about the caliber of competition he played because Wentz and Bergerman proved they could do it against lesser opponents, but it is always a crapshoot with college players. USC QBs have never done well in the NFL for whatever reason but there is always a first I guess.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

I just read where Allen grew up on a farm. Which does provide different learning and working experiences from city life. Including like with Wentz hunting skills. Which helps in completing passes to receivers and anticipating what the defense will do. As well as life skills to deal with the change in lifestyle going to the NFL.
This is where the NFL teams needs to do their homework in what players do off the field. Browns have had some trouble with that. Hopefully they can offer draft choices some more help this year. Especially with the QB making a plan. Not the Manziel or even Kiser hanging out at bars late at night days before games. Tyrod Taylor can really help with that. Which really makes that a good trade for the Browns.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Strange Browns sign QB Drew Stanton to 2 year contract. With Kressler and Hogan there as backups. Which makes it crowded to draft a QB. Last year having so many QB's was hard to get the starter a lot of practice time. So they maybe moving some QB's. If Darnold is the choice keeping former USC player Kressler can help.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Stanton is an insurance policy against having to rush a rookie onto the field. Carry 3 QBs and another on the practice squad. Pick the best long term QB and let him sit.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Heck I'd consider another QB in the second round with all the draft picks we have. Take a flyer on Mike White or the kid from Richmond. Let them sit and learn, then let them fight it a year or two from now. Always can trade away the loser. In this scenario, I take whoever the Giants want at 1 in case they can be coerced into trading up with Browns. Or work out a three way allowing someone to trade up to 1 who is desperate for a QB, then Browns move down to 2 and get another 1st rounder or Odell Beckham

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

With 4 QB's on roster now drafting another the Browns will need to get rid of one or two if they draft in the later rounds. Hogan looked good at times. Many teams are looking for backup QB's. Teams asking Colts for Brisett but not sure of Luck. Eagles wanting to hold on to Foles. Some stories had the Pats looking at Manziel. Now if the Browns can just develop a QB. Jackson didn't seem to call plays to his QB's talents as much as to his playbook. Having a better line will help. Maybe even trading a backup.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Yea except what QB on the roster now would draw any interest, let alone something of value in return. Read where Dorsey said you cant have enough good QBs. That's why I think he'll take flyer on one in a later round. If that happens, Hogan will be gone. Kessler should already have his locker cleaned out. Remember when Hue said trust him on the Kessler pick. I have no faith in Hue whatsoever. Wouldn't be surprised to see Haley as the head coach mid-season.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Seems to me that Jackson is not the QB guru that some people seem to think of him. Maybe he coaches better when there is talent there. Instead of developing the talent or getting the most out of the talent the QB has. Kind of like Mike Shanahan was much better with Elway then other QB's. Which wore the team down to team turmoil. By it will be done my way when the talent can not do it his way. Having Haley should help some but Haley is strong headed but he holds the players responsible for their actions. Not there to be the players buddy. Tyrod Taylor should also be a help with his talent and experience. To all QB's the team has or will draft. They do have good people to throw the ball to now.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Kessler is a back up QB. I do not think Jackson helped him out much. More talk and poor play calling at times. Play calling not matching the blocking on the field.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Browns trade Kessler to Jacksonville for a 7th round draft pick. Getting something for a player they would get rid of anyway. Browns continue to make moves. At least they did not go for QB Kaep.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Wonderlic scores for 2018 QBs
Josh Allen: 37
Josh Rosen: 29
Sam Darnold: 28
Baker Mayfield: 25
Lamar Jackson: 13

Josh Allen gets a big plus for his score over the other QB's. With his skills and smarts to be able to handle the NFL playbook and make reads. Lamar Jackson takes a big hit to lower his draft pick with the leak of the scores. Seems like Allen being the Browns pick more likely.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

One reporter is hearing a lot from People in the know that the Browns will draft Barkley at #1 and a QB at #4. He did state that this is the Lying Season.

Going on different reports are reporting that Pats QB Brady may not play this season or this is his last season. So the Pats will be looking to trade up and draft a QB. Even if that is the case I could see the Pats trading up to #1 with the Browns with their recent past as trading partners. Then not drafting a QB but taking Barkley at #1 and drafting a QB later since they tend to develop QB's.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Browns trade QB Kevin Hogan to Washington. For a swap of 6th round picks. As Browns get the 188th pick for their 205th pick.
It is good for Hogan to get a new start since he wasn't in the Browns future plans. I think he can become a solid backup in the NFL if he doesn't get hurt.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

If I were running the Browns draft, I'd already have the first card filled out in ink for Josh Allen. The 4th pick would be up for sale. I think in this draft you can drop back in the first round, pick an additional first round pick next year and get some quality players. I keep hearing about the need to get impact players. For an 0-16 team, aren't the free agent guys you picked up going to make an impact on a team that still will not contend for a playoff spot? Continue building the roster and not with fantasy analytics picks.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Players I can go after with additional picks? Derrius Guice, Connor Williams, and a decent corner.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Jim Brown wants the Browns to pick Barkley at #1.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Not surprising he would think that but I would be really surprised if they did. More likely they would take him at 4 . Pretty sure Dorsey wants that franchise QB at number 1.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Not sure Barkley will be there at #4. But the many Mock Drafts and rumors are all over the place. Reports are the Browns have not received a credible offer for the #1 pick but did not mention any offers for #4. Anything might happen or not happen.

Return to “Pro Sports”