New York Yankees, Chicago White Sox to play MLB game at Iowa Field of Dreams movie site in 2020

Omega
SEOPS H

New York Yankees, Chicago White Sox to play MLB game at Iowa Field of Dreams movie site in 2020

Post by Omega »

This is kind of cool being an old guy who holds a romantic notion about baseball being part of Americana :

From the Des Moines Register:

They've built it. Now they're coming.

Major League Baseball is headed to Dyersville, Iowa, in 2020. The Chicago White Sox and New York Yankees announced on Thursday that the two teams will play an official big-league game at the Field of Dreams movie site on Aug. 13, 2020. The game will take place at 6 p.m. and be televised on FOX.

"It's definitely exciting," said Roman Weinberg, the director of operations for Go The Distance Baseball, which owns the Field of Dreams movie site. "There's nothing more American than the Field of Dreams and America's pastime."

Now, they're joining hands ... for one big game at the beloved movie's site. The movie, which hit theaters in 1989, centers around the 1919 White Sox and Shoeless Joe Jackson. Jackson, who was banned by MLB along with seven of his teammates for his alleged role in the White Sox throwing the 1919 World Series, inspires an Iowa farmer, played by Kevin Costner, to build a baseball field in Iowa.

The field has since become a tourist attraction over the years with fans from across the globe flocking to the Iowa cornfield to see it. Now, a pair of MLB teams will be coming. The game will take place at the site of the movie but not on the iconic diamond, Weinberg said.

“MLB plans to build actually an 8,000 seat ballpark that will allow fans to experience the movie site," Weinberg said.

“MLB at Field of Dreams” Ballpark will neighbor the iconic movie set, seat 8,000, pay homage to Comiskey Park and have a right field wall that includes windows to show the cornfields (per @frntofficesport) pic.twitter.com/dA1bu6clUz

Tom Mietzel, the CEO of Go The Distance Baseball, said construction of that field will begin soon this month. And it'll be right next to the original field.

"When you're coming down the driveway looking at the field, it's going to be on the other side of the river, off to the far left," Mietzel said.

Mietzel added the location and the timing of the game couldn't be much better. Officials recently measured the corn which stood nine and a half feet tall, almost one year before the game is scheduled to be played.

"It'll be surrounded by corn," Mietzel said. "It's going to be beautiful. The layout is incredible. People are going to be awestruck by how incredible it's going to be."

Mietzel said talks about bringing a MLB game to Dyserville has been in the works for years, beginning with his late wife Denise Stillman. Stillman died last November from liver cancer. But her goal of getting a game to the site continued to live on.

"Shortly there after, we started the process up again with Major League Baseball," Mietzel said. "And it took awhile to come together but it's all looking great. It's very exciting."

Last year, the MLB approached FIeld of Dreams about this possibility and Thursday morning, the White Sox and New York Yankees announced the game on Twitter.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 953268001/

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: New York Yankees, Chicago White Sox to play MLB game at Iowa Field of Dreams movie site in 2020

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

That is very cool. I'll be watching.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: New York Yankees, Chicago White Sox to play MLB game at Iowa Field of Dreams movie site in 2020

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I was there last year, a very cool place.
I won't watch because its the Yankees.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Not much on the Yankees either, but I bet that place/country side will look beautiful on TV. I'll be watching if I'm still kickin.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Not a fan of either team. But I will watch this, it sounds awesome!

Return to “Pro Sports”