Losing Faith in Tress?

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

well i hope laurinitis goes better linebacker in curtis terry anyway.

was as about as bad watching donnie nickie play :arrow:

THE PIGSKIN
Waterboy

Post by THE PIGSKIN »

I agree, I didn's see where "SPEED" was the major factor. I did however see that there Off and Def lines were just stronger. Could be just a lack of experiance.
I also question a lot of the pass calls. QB was getting pressured all night and when the camara viewed the play all receivers are running routes 20 yards down field. Even when we only needed 5 to 7 yds for the 1st down. Result QB sack. With the rush of LSU, OSU should of used more 7 to 10 yard routes or screens. I don't recall any screen passes.
Regarding the run, you can only run the same play so many times before the D catches on. Its 3rd and 1 at the 2 and they ran another trap play same side for like the 3 time in a row. If you look at replay LSU had no one over the center just begging for the QB snk.
Well, I'm just an armchair QB.
Ohio State the new Buffalo Bills of College Football.

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

OSU has to have a play in their playbook which utilizes the TE- 0 catches for OSU tightends last night.LSU tightends were wide open all night.I guess LSU stacking the box must have made the TE'S stay in to block.I wouldn't go as far to call the Bucks the Bills.OSU has won some championships!

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

hey osu keeps him around as long as he keeps beating my wolverines

which sucks

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

hey osu keeps him around as long as he keeps beating my wolverines

which sucks

cant treat him like Marty S. winning and going to the playoffs but never winning the big one and a playoff game

i like jim as a coach but he beats the UM alot which sucks but hes football smart

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i do see speed as a major contributing factor in the ohio state loss , last night. but not team wise overall. we have these goliath sized linemen at ohio state, but if they can't combine footwork, with keeping faster d-linemen from getting around the corners. they may just be too big. football has evolved much. busting it up the gut works sometimes, but with the perplexed and new blitz schemes being used, it simply puts huge linemen at a disadvantage. and we kept going out of an empty backfield. why, boekkmann , was on the run all night. it is imperative to leave a fullback in ther, to pick up anybody that gets through.

what i saw less of was equal coaching. yes, the lsu, recievers blanketed our recievers all night. BUT the def. line came with their ears pinned back all night, we tried i think 1 reverse, where was the misdirection plays, where were the screen passes. these have to be utilized to keep d-linemen , from just getting in a track stance , and teeing off. and our tackling was even worse than in the illinois game. we just could not get our defense off the fields, in turn wearing them out, ie: forgetting tackling fundamentals because of exhaustion. i'm so sick of arm tackles. and helmet to helmet contact, thinking you are going to bull somebody over with brute strength. as they roll off, and continue down the field. TAKE THE DANG LEGS OUT, GRAB A LEG AND ROLL. THEY MUST GO DOWN. and the second touchdown, i think. where they lobbed it to the tight end , covered by a linebacker, we were so out of place. there should have been a timeout called , we just came of a 15 yard personal foul, we were distraught. les miles did what any smart coach does , goes for the juggular. they sent 4 out wide right in a hurry up set, we were scrambling like we had no clue , man, call timeout. geesh. you can't take them with you. but they caught us napping. that was just good coaching. but coach tressel is a genius, and i love him, for what he has brought to buckeye fans. and he is one of the top coach's in the country. but as bad as i hate to say it, our players have been outplayed the last 2 years, as well as outcoached. WILL I CONTINUE TO BE A DIE-HARD BUCKEYE FAN, ALL MY LIFE. DO I LOVE MY BUCKEYES. ---------DOES A BEAR CRAP IN THE WOODS. CONGRATULATIONS BUCKS, ON ANOTHER THRILLING SEASON. :-D

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

since when is losing by 14 a blowout? Do sometings need changed yes, mostly defensive calling. But whenever momentum was being built it was quickly taken away by stupid personal fouls and roughing the kicker in which I am still wondering why we even tried to block it that early knowing we just needed the ball back. Two drives the Tigers had lastnight was scored on multiple personal fouls in which they got 30+ yards on fouls in those drives.

ohioguy
Waterboy

Post by ohioguy »

I have lost a bit of faith in Tressel. I say give him another year or two, and if he cant win a bowl game, goodbye.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

What do you mean if he can't win a bowl game? Do you remember miami? when we was spose to get killed He won it! Oklahoma state He won it! Notre dame He won it. TRESS is 1 of the best coachs in the land of coll football and im very suprised he ain't in the nfl yet. He is a great guy i have met him and most people of his status would say hi and that would be it no he talks to his fans and stuff. He is a great guy and a great coach and OSU would be dumb to ever let him go..... PS HE BEATS MICHIGAN THATS A BOWL GAME IN ITSSELF PEOPLE lol..

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
whompascat
All Conference

Post by whompascat »

tress looks good when the bucks play thier cupcake games.

USAF_Defender23
Varsity

Post by USAF_Defender23 »

Ohio State had a team breakdown last night not a coaching breakdown. LSU is a good team and they won because of that. Ohio State had five personal fouls and four led to LSU TDs. That is having no disipline. C'mon guys lets not give up yet.

NUTHOUSE
Waterboy

Post by NUTHOUSE »

ohioguy I have lost a bit of faith in Tressel. I say give him another year or two, and if he cant win a bowl game, goodbye.

Dude your smoking crack if you want Tressel to go, he is one of the top 5 coaches in the in the nation. I still believe in Tressel I have a headache from the way OSU played last night... They pretty much gave them the ball game in the 2nd half, lets just rough the punter and why not get another 15 yrds tacked on to the next play for running their mouth. They lost their composer out there... I say OSU in all their games should let their opp. score first.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

ohioguy wrote:I have lost a bit of faith in Tressel. I say give him another year or two, and if he cant win a bowl game, goodbye.

WOW. dude get real.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

youre not gonna get fired making a school that kinda money :idea:

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

Tartanblue wrote:since when is losing by 14 a blowout? Do sometings need changed yes, mostly defensive calling. But whenever momentum was being built it was quickly taken away by stupid personal fouls and roughing the kicker in which I am still wondering why we even tried to block it that early knowing we just needed the ball back. Two drives the Tigers had lastnight was scored on multiple personal fouls in which they got 30+ yards on fouls in those drives.

the score wouldnt suggest a blowout but the game i watched last night was about as one sided as it gets, despite what the score shows.

ohioguy wrote:I have lost a bit of faith in Tressel. I say give him another year or two, and if he cant win a bowl game, goodbye.

yeah, i wouldnt go that far

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Orestes wrote:I have to admit that I will never be as confident about a bowl game again, but you can't argue with the fact that JT has coached in 9 title games in 21 years as a head coach.

If they can somehow get their JRs back, they can make another run next season.
Look at LSU, they had 25 seniors. OSU had 5. That type of leadership can be important.

I agree, if we could keep Juniors around for their Senior seasons we would be ok.

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Losing faith in Tressel, no way. He's been at OSU for seven seasons and in that time we've been to the National Championship Game three times, won in 2002, and three Big Ten Titles. Let's face it, no one expected us to win the Big Ten, let alone be ranked # 1 and make it in the championship game, at least I didn't. Sure, last night was a disappointing loss, but lose faith in Tressel, for coming in second, or whatever in the polls when they decide? Nope, not yet, and will enjoy next year's ride. My son looks at it this way, after waking up in his wall-to-wall OSU bedroom, "You know Mom, there's always next year, and they say third time's the charm :lol: "
He's right.
http://www.coachtressel.com/coach_tressel/index.asp?section=tressel

ohioguy
Waterboy

Post by ohioguy »

Get real?

It's like this...you have to win post-season games...period.

You're right, I am crazy. You might think I expect nothing less than perfections.. Well, guess what? I do.

With the type of salary Tressel and other football coaches receive, they should do well post-season...and I expect them to do so.

I love football. But I also hate the business end of it. The type of salary he gets is just amazing...and think if he took a pay cut to help fund scholarships how many kids get to go to college.

You can say this is idea is loosely fitted together, and it is. But for me to earn a scholarship I have to keep a 3.5 GPA or they take it away completely. And scholarships are hard to earn.

So I say if you cant do well post-season, you don't get any better pay or special privileges.

Ohio State's 0-9 record versus the SEC is anything but what it should be. With his salary, if he cant perform well post-season in the next couple of years, then why do we have him around? To scream "we beat Michigan!" while we lose yet ANOTHER post-season game? That's when you need to get real.

Should they kick him out? No...not right now. I have lost some faith in Tress, but that doesn't make him a bad coach, because he is far from that.

The next 2-3 seasons will decide on how I really feel about him. It is fantastic what the Buckeyes have done this year compared to what was expected...but I'm still holding out for the future.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

ballparent wrote:Losing faith in Tressel, no way. He's been at OSU for seven seasons and in that time we've been to the National Championship Game three times, won in 2002, and three Big Ten Titles. Let's face it, no one expected us to win the Big Ten, let alone be ranked # 1 and make it in the championship game, at least I didn't. Sure, last night was a disappointing loss, but lose faith in Tressel, for coming in second, or whatever in the polls when they decide? Nope, not yet, and will enjoy next year's ride. My son looks at it this way, after waking up in his wall-to-wall OSU bedroom, "You know Mom, there's always next year, and they say third time's the charm :lol: "
He's right.
http://www.coachtressel.com/coach_tressel/index.asp?section=tressel

it's not just the two losses these past two years, it's the nature in which they happened. both years the buckeyes came out and were obviously not ready and were out played, that says something about the coaching staff.

rachelcreek
Riding the Bench

Post by rachelcreek »

:roll:
One national columnist's take on Jim Tressel, in so many words, is that
"he (Tressel) is one lucky pass interference call from being John Cooper'.

Losing once in the BCS title game (vs. Florida): Is it a one-time nightmare
or a reflection of SEC superiority vs. Big Ten ineptness?

Losing a second time in the BCS title game (vs. LSU): Were the OSU
players more driven (in part, by relentless questioning by the press and
a nation of cynics, about 'failing' to win the title game vs. Florida) and
the intent of a custom DVD (anti-Buckeye propaganda) on redemption,
if not outright, revenge rather than execution vs. LSU? (Historically, from
a generation ago, the score of the 1969 Micigan game greeted the 1970
Buckeyes daily on a doormat as they entered their locker room, setting
the tone for atonement {Remember Ann Arbor!}. The 2007 Buckeyes
were constantly reminded of the 41-14 Florida score and motivated by
their own drive to again atone for the weight of overcoming the hurt of
losing ugly, this time on the BCS national stage. Seems to be underpinning
for the loss of composure by the button-down Bucks vs. LSU.

Where does Coach Tressel and the program go from here? Gird them-
selves for another season-ending win vs. Michigan (Lloyd traded for
Rich-Rod) or re-think to win on a big enough scale that they can match
up with teams, SEC or not, in what Colin Cowherd of ESPN Radio likes
to call (repeatedly) "big boy football"?

Return to “College Sports”