Tyler Whaley of OSU is a Bengal

BigMcCauley55
S

Re: Tyler Whaley of OSU is a Bengal

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

the other OSU fullback hasnt been signed has he?

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

Giving an attitude adjustment to Ocho-Stinko and
Beating the Clowns and
Mauling the Steelgirs....Priceless

Who-Dey ? ?
Tank-Dey dats who.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Congrats to a hard working young man...you can read about him, and tell he was one,,that was not going to "settle" he worked hard and took a chance on his dream...now he can live it.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Congrats to him. And at least them Ironton fans wont have to change there colors to support him. :lol:

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

thats great :mrgreen:

SPANKY
Freshman Team

Post by SPANKY »

Congrats "TANK" your hard work has paid off for you. Keep on living your dream. We're all proud of you in this house. :122249

She said "chicken & dumplins when your ready :!: :!: :!:

NUFF SAID.......................

The_Legend_of_Northwest
All State

Post by The_Legend_of_Northwest »

congrats tank

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

MAN, THIS IS THE TALK EVERYWHERE IN THE TRI-STATE. 8)

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

Tank is now on the roster as #38. I've been asked by a number of people wanting to know his number, so there it is.

Frogtownbuckeye
Freshman Team

Post by Frogtownbuckeye »

If you click on the link at http://www.bengals.com that says rookie mini camp you can catch a glimpse of \Tank working out of the backfield.

RiverRatZap
SEOPS

Post by RiverRatZap »

I talked to PaPaBuck today and he told me Tyler had a really good mini camp. Keep it up Tank!!

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Article on Tank from the Dayton Daily News....................

Bengals have a tiger in former Buckeye ‘Tank’
By Chick Ludwig | Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 12:47 PM

MEET THE BENGALS’ “RUDY”

Just as Notre Dame had long-shot legend Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger, Ohio State had one of its own in Tyler “Tank” Whaley.

And now “Tank” is a Cincinnati Bengal — of the non-drafted college free agent variety — ready to bulldoze his way onto the field and into the hearts of Bengals fans, who are going to love this kid.

Ruettiger was the inspiration for the movie, “Rudy,” and Whaley’s story is so inspiring that it has been made into a book that’s due out Sept. 1.

Authored by Columbus Dispatch Buckeyes beat writer Ken Gordon and published by Cardinal Publishers Group of Indianapolis (http://www.cardinalpub.com/), the 150-page paperback details the life and times of Whaley, who grew up in Ironton, walked on at Ohio State, was finally awarded a scholarship and earned every nickel of it with his gritty, gutty, robust play.

MUD, SWEAT & CHEERS

In Ken Gordon’s words:

“It’s a compelling story about a short (5-foot-11) kid from the small, economically-depressed town of Ironton, Ohio, who despite being his team’s best two-way lineman got no Division I college offers.

“He pulled some strings and walked on to Ohio State, enduring indignities like taking a job working maintenance at Ohio Stadium for $7 an hour.

“Eventually, his hard work gets noticed, and he works his way to backup center, where he snaps for Heisman winner Troy Smith. He gets put on scholarship, proposes to his fiancee at the 50-yard line, gets switched to fullback in 2007 and ends up playing well and playing a lot, including a key role as Ohio State wins an old-fashioned “mudder” at Michigan to clinch a Big Ten title.

“He’s on the field for the final kneel-down, and he celebrates the pinnacle of an unlikely career.”

‘AN ABSOLUTE BULLDOG’

Gordon said his work has “a lot of history of Ironton and its tradition of producing tough people and its football heritage (the Ironton Tanks, a semi-pro team in the 1920s, beat several NFL clubs). Also, there’s his family background, overcoming layoffs and health scares, etc.

“This kid is an absolute bulldog,” Gordon said. “I’m telling you, don’t count him out.”

I met Tank at Bengals rookie minicamp and was immediately struck by his on-field intensity and off-the-field demeanor. He’s as personable and approachable as he is coachable.

Tank told me it was a “dream come true” to accomplish his goals at Ohio State and to have an opportunity to play in the NFL.

“I’m just trying to show the coaches that I can pick up the system as fast as possible,” Tank said. “I’m going to be a guy that’s going to come in and work hard and try to pick up the system the best I can, and give it my all on the field.”

RISING FROM THE ASHES

The 5-foot-11, 252-pounder is a leverage machine because of his strength, power and low center of gravity. His goal is to sift through the line of scrimmage and whack linebackers in an effort to open holes for the tailbacks.

“That’s what I loved to do in college and that’s what I want to bring here — knowing my assignments and then getting after it, and just trying to run over somebody.”

Like a Phoenix reborn from ashes, Whaley has risen from college walk-on to a potentially promising NFL backup.

“It just shows I’m going to be willing to do whatever they ask of me,” he said. “I’m used to hard work. That’s what I plan on bringing here. I’ll do as much as I can do, and I’ll go as hard as I possibly can. I’m very excited and just want to make the most of this opportunity.”

Contact Chick Ludwig at cludwig@daytondailynews.com

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

He never ceases to amaze me. Not only do the Bengals have a kid who is going to give it all he has, they have a lot of class with this one. I hope having class isn't a negative toward making it with the Bengals.

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Great story, great article, great post, and last but not least, a great young man and representative from Ironton, Ohio.
Thanks.

Sue E. Side
Freshman Team

Post by Sue E. Side »

Congrats to Tyler Whaley! Anytime you send a player to college its an honor but to send them to the professional level is amazing. He works very hard and best of luck with the Bengals. Maybe you can show some of the players how to act who knows maybe its better if they keep going to jail to open more chances for you. :122245

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

i heard on 1460 the fan that tyler got put on waivers yesterday.

whippersnapper
Waterboy

Post by whippersnapper »

1987chieftains wrote:i heard on 1460 the fan that tyler got put on waivers yesterday.

He got cut

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

whippersnapper,WHERE DID U PLAY? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

on a mission wrote:whippersnapper,WHERE DID U PLAY? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

where did he say anything harsh?

Return to “College Sports”