Keith Jackson, folksy voice of college football, dies at 89

Omega
SEOPS H

Keith Jackson, folksy voice of college football, dies at 89

Post by Omega »

Excerpt from the LA Times:

Keith Jackson, the folksy voice of college football who for decades weaved backwoods wit through Saturday afternoon ABC broadcasts, has died. He was 89.

Jackson died Friday night, according to media reports.

In a 52-year broadcasting career, Jackson covered a wide-ranging array of sports for radio and TV, including a rowing competition in the former Soviet Union, but he was best known as ABC's voice of NCAA football — and for the homespun phrases he used in reporting it.

To Jackson, linemen were not guards and tackles, they were "the big uglies." Running backs didn't drop the ball, there was a "fuumm-bull!" Of an undersized player, he might say, "He's a little-bitty thing, a bantam rooster. But he's young. If he keeps eatin' his cornbread, he'll be man-sized some day."

http://beta.latimes.com/sports/la-me-ke ... story.html

For those of us who are of a certain age, Mr. Jackson's voice on an autumnal Saturday afternoon was college football.
Last edited by Omega on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Keith Jackson, folksy voice of college football, dies at 89

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Whoa Nellie!! I loved listening to him. Best one of a kind College Football Broadcaster ever, IMO. RIP Keith, you will be greatly missed by many.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Him and Kurt Gowdy were my favorites.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

WHOA NELLEY I LOVED HEARING THAT GUY CALL A BIG RIVALRY GAME.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

back when we only had 3 stations loved hearing him do games. Throw it to studio with chris shrinkel(i am sure i butchered that name) and later jim lampley.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Those were the good days. Those were the days when breaks were interesting to hear.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

the Rose Bowl wasn't the same without Jackson...... when the pre-show was ending in dramatic background music with Jackson infamous voice saying in the serious tone of " in the Granddaddy of em all"....voice of my childhood of NCAA football is gone............ but gottin more than used to now with our man Herbrstriet callin the big ones...

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

countywide35 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:09 am the Rose Bowl wasn't the same without Jackson...... when the pre-show was ending in dramatic background music with Jackson infamous voice saying in the serious tone of " in the Granddaddy of em all"....voice of my childhood of NCAA football is gone............ but gottin more than used to now with our man Herbrstriet callin the big ones...

I agree but you know. There is so much lost in the young talent today. Where these guys also grew up in a radio dominated world they really knew how to describe the game in the moment you could close your eyes or be in the other room and you could still envision the picture just from there description. that is pretty much a lost art. Even guys who do baseball and things on radio now are not nearly as descriptive.

sort of like Al mcquire was dick vitalle before most of the world had seen a personality like Dick Vitale.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Best announcer to ever don the gold jacket of ABC Sports. He and Enberg were truly in a different class.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse

Return to “College Sports”