WitnessProtection
All Conference

Re: NCAA: Bowl ban for OSU in 2012

Post by WitnessProtection »

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

In my humble opinion, Gene Smith should be history. He's as culpable as anyone in this friggin' mess!!!!!!!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Oh come on, no at a boys for Peake?

December 14th
Heard the sanctions are coming down soon and they will look like this:
1. 3 year probation
2. Vacated wins
3. post season bowl ban (2012)

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

They put themself in this trouble and sorry for them I can not feel.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

newarkcatholicfan wrote:They put themself in this trouble and sorry for them I can not feel.

True. But the NCAA needs to stop punishing people who dont deserve it. They could have ruled on this months ago as nothing has changed. They had the same info then as they do today.

IMO, the NCAA would have been much more credible if they had acted sooner and instituted a bowl ban THIS YEAR against the thugs that got OSU in this mess (Herron, Adams, Posey, etc). They do absolutely nothing to the players involved except for the suspensions. NCAA is getting worse and worse every year. Auburn, USC, Oregon, Bama then down the line to OSU and the all SEC National Championship game.

NCAA is a complete J-O-K-E. Too bad certain powerful people dont band together and create a new sanctioning body for college sports and abolish them.

mohawkbaseball#1
All Conference

Post by mohawkbaseball#1 »

I don't think these kids are thugs. They traded their possessions for tattoos ad a little cash on the side not out stealing not doing drugs. Selfish but not thugs. I agree that the NCAA should have given the bowl ban this year but OSU Should have self imposed a ban on themselves but their arrogance has cost them, Instead of missing out on the taxslayer.com gator bowl they are missing a chance at a BIG10 and a rise bowl.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

I agree Red,should have ruled long ago,,but they figured they'll just wait to let them accept a lousy bowl first then get em next year when it might be more important.I have to wonder if O-State would have self imposed a bowl ban this year instead of some of this other crap they imposed, NCAA might have thought different, but probably not.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

The NCAA could have ruled earlier and likely would have and included just a ban this year...

...But Gene Smith held onto the response papers until the last minute, because at the time we were poised for a Big 10 title game.

If he had sent in the response papers early, the NCAA could have acted sooner, and would have resolved the issues sooner, and would have banned us from a bowl this season. But another case of gross mismanagement in hopes of immediate benefit caught our AD with his pants down!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

The repeat offender clause that was given after the Jim O'Brien BBall issues is what got us the bowl ban.

Smith was correct in there was no precedent for a ban for what OSU was accused of, but that's because there was no other case where what we were accused of came from a school already with a repeat offender status!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Pittman, Dunn, and Spence have all publicly reaffirmed their commitment to Meyer and OSU.

So we aren't losing those guys.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:The NCAA could have ruled earlier and likely would have and included just a ban this year...

...But Gene Smith held onto the response papers until the last minute, because at the time we were poised for a Big 10 title game.

If he had sent in the response papers early, the NCAA could have acted sooner, and would have resolved the issues sooner, and would have banned us from a bowl this season. But another case of gross mismanagement in hopes of immediate benefit caught our AD with his pants down!

Smith should be terminated as of 3:01pm today. There is absolutely no upside in keeping that turd around as the AD.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

If that's the case he should be fired! What the heck are they waiting for, and I have always suspected he probably knows more than he and Tressel have let on with tattoo gate.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:Pittman, Dunn, and Spence have all publicly reaffirmed their commitment to Meyer and OSU.

So we aren't losing those guys.
That is a breath of fresh air, but I think this makes it harder for Meyer to finish putting his staff together in getting Stoops or other big names interested in making the move to OSU.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

C-Bolt wrote:If that's the case he should be fired! What the heck are they waiting for, and I have always suspected he probably knows more than he and Tressel have let on with tattoo gate.

I agree Bolt. No buyout or severance package. Hell, dont even let him keep the Scotch tape in his desk.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Meyer's statement:

"I agreed to become the Head Football Coach at The Ohio State University because Shelley and I are Ohio natives, I am a graduate of this wonderful institution and served in this program under a great coach. I understand the academic and athletic traditions here and will give great effort to continue those traditions.

"It is still my goal to hire excellent coaches, recruit great student-athletes who want to be a part of this program and to win on and off the field. The NCAA penalties will serve as a reminder that the college experience does not include the behavior that led to these penalties. I expect all of us to work hard to teach and develop young student-athletes to grow responsibly and to become productive citizens in their communities upon graduation."

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

If Fickell stays, Stoops likely won't be coming.

Meyer's staff is nearly complete now.

A one year bowl ban won't hurt recruiting. The three year probation could affect it a little, because if one guy screws up in 3 years, WE'RE SCREWED!!!

The guys this affects most are guys like John Simon and other high profile juniors who were going to come back for their senior year and help right the ship and reestablish Buckeye dominance.

Now they can't play in a bowl or the conference title game next year.
Even if we are unbeaten after the Michigan game, we'll be at home instead of Indy for the conference title!!!

Now these guys have to decide if they want to stay for 12 games and only be rewarded with love from fans and a pair of gold pants, or of they are going to the NFL at a risk of lower draft stock.

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

The NCAA is a JOKE......That being said If I was Fickell in no way shape or form would Boom,Posey, or Adams play in this Bowl they hurt our program now I would hurt your draft stock and if Gene Smith keeps his job I will puke....

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

With all due respect you should be banned from a bowl this year too...And to top that off you go out and hire another Tressel.Did they learn anything from this?

Return to “College Sports”